On 7/3/2024 at 11:05 AM, bob smith said:

where else would you go?

My top 5 list at the moment is as follows:

1. Cambodia

2. Laos

3. Phils

4. Barbados

5. Gibraltar

how about you lot? do you have a plan B or are you in it for the duration, no matter what?

bob.

alone or you bring your ugly wife (your words) with you

3 hours ago, digger70 said:

He never left. That's if he's here , He makes us believe he is in Los .

Khun Bob can post whatever he likes But it will be something pulled out of his Hat.

More likely from the other end of his body but not his hat

• Haha 1

On 7/3/2024 at 6:03 AM, bob smith said:

just turn up.

like anywhere, it's not what you know it's who you know.

I know a few people that live there.

They like it.

Healthcare is brilliant and, of course, free at the point of use for Brits.

bob.

Bob, Not a daft idea. Property rental prices are 4 times what I pay here, however at Marina Bay you can get an annual mooring for £800pa for a 20m boat, so maybe an option as a live-a-board. The odd weekend in Marbs, walk across the border at La Linea and grab the bus. The 90 out of 180 days might get an issue, however could always nip across to Morocco for a change of culture.

Off to look at 52 footers.

On 7/3/2024 at 12:03 PM, bob smith said:

just turn up.

like anywhere, it's not what you know it's who you know.

I know a few people that live there.

They like it.

Healthcare is brilliant and, of course, free at the point of use for Brits.

bob.

i holidayed in Gibralter many years ago, and I imagine it is much more built up now. I think it might prove claustrophobic for any long term stay, but each to his own.

9 hours ago, rgrdns said:

Back to Europe, Spain is my first option, 2nd Portugal or might be Greece too...have enough of Asia.

Regards

Some years ago there was a pinned thread, which never produced a consensus. Long term residency was the main stumbling block.

For Americans Panama and Puerto Rico looked favourite. I just don't see your three doing it for the Brits though I am looking at it from the low budget angle. I have looked into Greece, great place but..

On 7/3/2024 at 11:56 AM, bob smith said:

so because it's communist you feel the need to refer to it as such?

do you also refer to Thailand as capitalist Thailand?

bob.

Buddhist Monarchy Thailand, Communist Laos, Army Dictatorship Myanmar, Muslim Malaysia, Muslim Indonesia 

I know what is best.

• Confused 1

On 7/3/2024 at 11:31 AM, bob smith said:

Dan. If I have said it once then I have said it a million times - if you don't like my threads then don't comment on them!

You know where the block button is, i'm sure..

bob.

The same could be applied to you don't post if you don't want a comment. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, BobBKK said:

I think Boracay or Cebu - but i'm sure there are many other great places - Puerto Princesa I have heard is nice too.

Boracay although a lovely spot it really is a tourist trap.  I had a few holidays there and it was the 1st time in my life that I fully relaxed. 

Sitting on the beach, cocktail in hand watching the sun go down. Pure bliss. 

Cebu can get a bit overpowering but they do have better infrastructure there. 

Agree with Puerto Princesa although I've not been there.  Dumagete is a nice quiet spot, but a bit remote. 

Lived in Bohol for a few years.  Not a bad spot and the island is fairly well surrounded by other islands, which helps during typhoon season. 

There is an adjoining island called Panglau.  Great beaches and good diving/snorkeling. 

Nice people too

• Thumbs Up 2

18 hours ago, TimBKK said:

Where in the PI would be your first choice for a long term stay?

I'd start at ...........

Baloy Long Beach, Barretto, Olongapo .........

Lovely beach with nice clean sand and crystal clear water, no sand flies or deckchairs.

Plenty of bars and restaurants selling English/Australian/German/Mexican food.

Two bar rafts floating around, filled with drinks girls.

Naughty night clubs for those who want that sort of activity, really cheap booze.

Very friendly ladies even those not in the P4P, and generally friendly guys as well, nearly all speaking good English. 

Been there many times, always fun, not sure if it would still be fun long term as the cheap booze tempts one to lose control.

IMG_20161112_130957_PANO (2).jpg

floating bar.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'd start at ...........

Baloy Long Beach, Barretto, Olongapo .........

Lovely beach with nice clean sand and crystal clear water, no sand flies or deckchairs.

Plenty of bars and restaurants selling English/Australian/German/Mexican food.

Two bar rafts floating around, filled with drinks girls.

Naughty night clubs for those who want that sort of activity, really cheap booze.

Very friendly ladies even those not in the P4P, and generally friendly guys as well, nearly all speaking good English. 

Been there many times, always fun, not sure if it would still be fun long term as the cheap booze tempts one to lose control.

IMG_20161112_130957_PANO (2).jpg

floating bar.jpg

good call, @BritManToo!  Been 10+ years since i was last in Barretto, but have fond memories.  Still keep in touch with one girl, who has since married and settled on the Isle of Wight, of all places.  Seems a bit more…livable? than Angeles and Manila.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/3/2024 at 5:30 PM, saintdomingo said:

What would constitute "hits the fan".?

IMO Thailand waking up to the fact that they don't need farang expats any more and doubling the amount needed to stay. They are already taxing expats.

It's not looking good for an expat living on a pension, but having to support the demanding Thai family as well as paying their wife a salary LOL.

Have you seen how many tourists are arriving, and all spending like it's the holiday of a lifetime. They benefit Thailand far more than a few thousand living in Issan or wherever, as they only benefit a few Thais.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Have you seen how many tourists are arriving, and all spending like it's the holiday of a lifetime. They benefit Thailand far more than a few thousand living in Issan or wherever, as they only benefit a few Thais.

Long stayers probably spend more in the long run and are much more stable spenders because they are set up for the long haul.

Many policies here lack a long term perspective. So, a flush tourist may seem to contribute more if you have a short sighted view, but not a long term view.

Lots of things here are like that if you look closely. To give a few examples. Shoddy construction that's done quickly, but does not last. Superficial relationships. Kickbacks that make a problem worse. Many others...

Now, this behavior stems from a lack of something. It's a survival instinct in societies as well as individuals. Grabbing (snatching) something immediately because you fear it disappearing, even if it means you will have less in the long run.

16 hours ago, TimBKK said:

good call, @BritManToo!  Been 10+ years since i was last in Barretto, but have fond memories.  Still keep in touch with one girl, who has since married and settled on the Isle of Wight, of all places.  Seems a bit more…livable? than Angeles and Manila.

I was in Olongapo last year, and not much going on. Subic Bay might be a choice was there last year.

On 7/4/2024 at 11:52 PM, saintdomingo said:

Some years ago there was a pinned thread, which never produced a consensus. Long term residency was the main stumbling block.

For Americans Panama and Puerto Rico looked favourite. I just don't see your three doing it for the Brits though I am looking at it from the low budget angle. I have looked into Greece, great place but..

Don't be too long deciding.....

On 7/4/2024 at 8:52 PM, saintdomingo said:

2 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Don't be too long deciding.....

🤔 One of those plans that never seems to materialize...

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1