Man Robbed of 3.3 Million Baht After Bank Withdrawal in Bangkok

webfact

image.jpeg

video screenshot

A man was robbed of 3.3 million baht shortly after withdrawing the sum from a bank on Phatthanakan Road, Bangkok, by two gunmen who then fled the scene on a motorcycle.

At 3:30 p.m. on 3 July 2024, Prawet Police Station officers responded to a robbery incident in the parking lot of a supermarket located in Suan Luang District, Bangkok. Upon arriving, they found the victim, Mr. Yanai Techathabat, 44, next to his Toyota Wish car, visibly shaken.

Mr. Techathabat recounted the traumatic encounter: after withdrawing the large sum from a nearby bank and returning to his vehicle, he was accosted by two men brandishing guns. The assailants forced him to sit back in the car, then quickly grabbed a bag containing the cash. They made their escape on a black Yamaha X-Max motorcycle, heading towards Phatthanakan Road.

The police, led by Pol. Col. Surapong Phutkhao, promptly began their investigation. Surveillance footage in the vicinity is being reviewed to track down the suspects, who were described as wearing dark clothing and helmets to conceal their identities. The motorcycle's license plate number has yet to be identified.

Notably, the victim shares a surname commonly associated with a prominent executive in Thailand’s mobile phone sector, adding a layer of intrigue to the case. Authorities are considering all potential angles, including whether the robbery was opportunistic or if Mr. Techathabat was specifically targeted.

The investigation continues, and forensic officers are collecting evidence from the scene. Mr. Techathabat has been taken to Prawet Police Station for further questioning, with the hope of quickly identifying and apprehending the culprits. 

The brazen nature of the robbery in broad daylight has left the local community highly concerned, highlighting the need for heightened vigilance and security.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-07-04

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

29 minutes ago, webfact said:

withdrawing the sum from a bank on Phatthanakan Road

and then ...

29 minutes ago, webfact said:

They made their escape on a black Yamaha X-Max motorcycle, heading towards Phatthanakan Road.

ahhhhhhh. looks like the parking lot at phattanakarn and srinakarin. if so there is a police box at the corner beside the macdonalds. 

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, stoner said:

and then ...

ahhhhhhh. looks like the parking lot at phattanakarn and srinakarin. if so there is a police box at the corner beside the macdonalds. 

What? Are you suggesting that they should be working? Outrageous!

3 minutes ago, JoePai said:

In Thailand typically you do not get a car cheaper by paying in cash as the Dealers rely on the HP commission for their real profit

I do not use HP.

I paid cash for the wife's new car and cash for a second hand truck for the business.

Got a discount both times.

Oh - and cash for all of the second hand motorbikes that I have bought over the years.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Notably, the victim shares a surname commonly associated with a prominent executive in Thailand’s mobile phone sector, adding a layer of intrigue to the case. Authorities are considering all potential angles, including whether the robbery was opportunistic or if Mr. Techathabat was specifically targeted.

My monies on the latter... 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, JoePai said:

No need for large sums of cash these days - unless for an iffy reason

Not really...  

I've been in the awkward situation of having to carry that amount into a Bank. 

Selling my car (two occasions)... 

On one occasion - the buyer (Thai) turned up with cash - we drove to the Bank and deposited the money.

Completed the PoA forms / Proof of Sale etc...  then the buyer drove of in his new car (my old car).

Another, the buyer (Western), turned up, we went to his bank, he withdrew the cash, we carried it to my bank, deposited the cash, then went to the DLT and completed the exchange of ownership. 

I think the reason was that over a certain amount of money the bank said the transfer was not instant - or something like that - it may be different now. 

Additionally, a lot of businesses are still cash businesses....  people go to the bank and the end of the week / month with a large Sum. 

Another reason - envelope money from Weddings: We had over 1 MB envelope money from our wedding. 

BiL put the boxes in the boot of his car (as he didnt trust to keep it in the hotel) then paid it in to the bank after the weekend.

-----------

One of the things that has always surprised me here.

Why don't criminals 'case-out' outside Banks and look for people carrying 'pouches' which could have large amounts of money in them - could be an easy target. 

The other - Criminals watching at large weddings - watching where the envelope money is taken to, then ripping them off. 

Watching this news anchor is funny stuff.

Could someone donate him a pair of glasses or bigger print :biggrin:

4 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Inside job, either the bank teller or his own associates.

Sure. That was not by chance.

And carrying 3.3 million (3300 notes at least) is quite a big pouch.

Would fit in a full size rucksack.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

I should think the victim would have to have given at least 24 hours notice to the bank for large sums of cash. That would give time for a setup hoist.

Why would you think that...for just B3m? 

"That would give time for a setup hoist".

There's no way that moving B3m would need a hoist to be set up.

• Haha 1