Intolerant to alcohol due to ageing.

Mason45

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Is it any kind of alcohol or only beer?

It seems for many people it makes a big difference in which form they drink alcohol. The alcohol itself is maybe not the issue.

In my younger does I drank beer and whiskey but as I've got older I drink beer only.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Mason45 said:

In my younger does I drank beer and whiskey but as I've got older I drink beer only.

For me, the other way around. 

Sometimes I drink a beer or two. But when I know there will be a couple of hours of drinking, then whiskey (soda) only. 

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Maybe you aren't drinking enough, i have an alcoholic friend 60yo who never gets a hangover

On a past recommendation of yours, I just purchased some cans of Tapper (6.5%) from 7/11 - 56 baht per can. Thought I'd better get some supplies in for the 'dry' impending weekend.

Just cracked a can to see what it's like. Lovely drop of beer. Doesn't taste like a 'strong' lager and leaves a very smooth aftertaste.

👍 for the recommendation - Cheers 🍻

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I definitely don't drink like I used to in my youth, although I've never been a heavy drinker. 

Fortunately I've become more interested in flavour than volume and the advent of better beer alternatives has meant I can be more discriminate in what I imbibe, which has consequently led to lower alcohol intake. 

There are a number of ways you can lower alcohol consumption without going teetotal.

16 hours ago, Keeps said:

On a past recommendation of yours, I just purchased some cans of Tapper (6.5%) from 7/11 - 56 baht per can. Thought I'd better get some supplies in for the 'dry' impending weekend.

Just cracked a can to see what it's like. Lovely drop of beer. Doesn't taste like a 'strong' lager and leaves a very smooth aftertaste.

👍 for the recommendation - Cheers 🍻

Nice one, still a favourite of mine, my new favourite is Beer Lao Dark, small bottle 6% about 365 baht for 6

• Thumbs Up 2

Not my problem. I very rarely have a long session now at 6, but visited my son in May and had a 12 hour bar crawl, and lady month a bar/club crawl with a young neighbour from 9pm until sun up. Only drinking beer but no breaks. Fine the next day, but slept late. 🤣

They're both in their 30s, not sure I could handle a night with both of them....

• Confused 2

•  

-Certainly this is how I experience it too, I used to like to drink cognac apart from wine and beer, over the years all that has become less and now the limit is 2 glasses a day. If I drink more I start sleeping worse but also perspire at night in bed.

On 7/19/2024 at 6:49 AM, Keeps said:

Same for me with Gin - don't touch the stuff anymore. Just stick to beer myself.

Strange, I used to be a big beer drinker in Germany but severely limited my intake as I don't like the beer here, I can get drunk on 3 bottles now but I can drink gin tonics all evening with no ill effects.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Strange, I used to be a big beer drinker in Germany but severely limited my intake as I don't like the beer here, I can get drunk on 3 bottles now but I can drink gin tonics all evening with no ill effects.

Gin never gave me any ill effects. I just didn't like the person I could become if I had too many G&T's in my much younger days. Now I do not partake  to avoid myself and other people having to suffer the AHole I could morph into. 

I'm sure a couple of G&T's nowadays wouldn't do me any harm and I always enjoyed the taste. 

• Like 1

On 7/19/2024 at 5:51 AM, Mason45 said:

Hi all, I don't socialize like I used to probably due to the fact that my age is catching up with me. I was a very heavy drinker for many years with no health problems, I worked hard and drank hard. Nowadays I drink a few beers and  I start feeling the pinch. Several more I'm on my way to getting wrecked. Have others gone through this same thing as me as they've become older. I must admit I didn't realize till now how much money I blew on the piss in my younger days.

Did you ever came across how an alcoholic's liver looks like???

Not much left what can do the job.🥴

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

As you get older the liver reduces the amount of an enzyme, I think it is called methanol or ethanol dehydrogenase. This allows the body to get the alcohol waste out through the liver. That's why some people get awful hangovers they never had before, as they are basically poisoning themselves ..

• Thanks 2

On 7/19/2024 at 6:09 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Is it any kind of alcohol or only beer?

It seems for many people it makes a big difference in which form they drink alcohol. The alcohol itself is maybe not the issue.

On 7/19/2024 at 6:26 AM, HappyExpat57 said:

People claim there's no difference, that alcohol is alcohol no matter what form. I absolutely believe tequila makes me do things that no other alcohol does.

I agree with OneMoreFarang.

With me, it is volume, not % alcohol.

10 years of living with an enlarged prostate - I spent more time in the bathroom than was normal and acceptable to me.

So, one can of beer for a sundowner 🍺, one glass of wine with dinner 🍷 then a pastis or two 🥃 before bed.

Bathroom hours halved :thumbsup:

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Chillypom said:

Perhaps try Carabao Dunkel if you can track it down.  Very similar to Lao Dark by all accounts and about half the price

And not a bad beer either.

Sold in Tops, Big C and Tops Daily here.

51 minutes ago, Chillypom said:

Perhaps try Carabao Dunkel if you can track it down.  Very similar to Lao Dark by all accounts and about half the price

In my Big C in Issaan Carrabao Dunkell 45 baht per bottle. Widely available including Moms and Pops

Edited by Expat68
  • Thanks 1