Irish footballer fights for his life after bike crash in Thailand

Sorry to hear. Sounds dreadful. Many of us drive motorcycles or scooters here, and it is dangerous getting on the roads with some of these other drivers. Getting on a scooter, or a motorcycle anywhere in Thailand, much less Phuket, Phangan, Dark Tao, or Samui without a very good helmet, is like playing Russian Roulette with three or four bullets in the chamber. It is absolutely asking for problems. The degree of recklessness here is astounding. And many foreigners come here thinking "how much trouble could I get in on a little scooter, on a tropical island"? Well, the answer is alot. The amount of foreigners who are killed on the Southern islands is staggering. Most are not reported in the media. I had a friend who worked for Samui rescue for many years, and said the numbers were about 30-60 a month, on Samui, Phangan and Koh Tao. The official number is about 3 a month. Riders beware. Use as good a helmet as you can afford, and do not use these eggshells pieces of crap. They crack at the first impact, and what lies underneath them? Your skull, which is very delicate.

I have been riding bikes for over 50 years. Without any serious accidents. A few minor ones over the years. Riding a bike here is very dangerous. If not the highest, one of the highest fatality rates in the world. And an accident here can be very costly, to your person. Just ask yourself- do I have enough problems already, without a broken skull, or smashed head, or face injury, or lost eye?

I have three friends who have been in motorbike accidents on Samui within the last several years. One still cannot walk, or talk or function on her own, from a motorbike accident, where she hit her head on the pavement going only 20 kph. The other one has lost alot of his mental capacity after hitting his head. He insisted for years he would never wear a helmet. Now, he seems 15 years older. The third one is a close friend, who was hit by a sidecar, and nearly lost his leg. 11 operations later, he can walk, but with a limp, and the leg caused him constant problems, many years later. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps, but I've never seen any cyclists wearing one of those.

It's more of a mountain biking accessory, but if I was cycling in Thailand I would definitely wear one.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

It's a good idea to wear a full-face on a bicycle, almost half of impacts are around the chin and face area.

GrizzlyHelmet1.thumb.jpg.db7ba9be045f57099e4fb07467e006a5.jpg

Agree on this. You see cycles overtaking motor cars. The speeds (and impact damage) can obviously be devastating. On the subject of insurance, if he was employed by a professional football club wouldn't he be insured by them as an employee? Maybe the cover doesn't extend to personal and/or activities deemed 'hazardous' when outside Eire? 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:
1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

The article says he was cycling. 

I expect it was a bicycle. 

Actually, it does not

Cycling 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

An Irish footballer from Cork, in the Republic of Ireland, is battling for his life after a catastrophic cycling accident

Cycling 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

16 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Sorry to hear. Sounds dreadful. Many of us drive motorcycles or scooters here, and it is dangerous getting on the roads with some of these other drivers. Getting on a scooter, or a motorcycle anywhere in Thailand, much less Phuket, Phangan, Dark Tao, or Samui without a very good helmet, is like playing Russian Roulette with three or four bullets in the chamber. It is absolutely asking for problems. The degree of recklessness here is astounding. And many foreigners come here thinking "how much trouble could I get in on a little scooter, on a tropical island"? Well, the answer is alot. The amount of foreigners who are killed on the Southern islands is staggering. Most are not reported in the media. I had a friend who worked for Samui rescue for many years, and said the numbers were about 30-60 a month, on Samui, Phangan and Koh Tao. The official number is about 3 a month. Riders beware. Use as good a helmet as you can afford, and do not use these eggshells pieces of crap. They crack at the first impact, and what lies underneath them? Your skull, which is very delicate.

I have been riding bikes for over 50 years. Without any serious accidents. A few minor ones over the years. Riding a bike here is very dangerous. If not the highest, one of the highest fatality rates in the world. And an accident here can be very costly, to your person. Just ask yourself- do I have enough problems already, without a broken skull, or smashed head, or face injury, or lost eye?

I have three friends who have been in motorbike accidents on Samui within the last several years. One still cannot walk, or talk or function on her own, from a motorbike accident, where she hit her head on the pavement going only 20 kph. The other one has lost alot of his mental capacity after hitting his head. He insisted for years he would never wear a helmet. Now, he seems 15 years older. The third one is a close friend, who was hit by a sidecar, and nearly lost his leg. 11 operations later, he can walk, but with a limp, and the leg caused him constant problems, many years later. 

What a nightmare for anyone in such a situation.

I am extremely careful when walking outside my walled compound.

I am always mindful of vehicles that approach from behind, even though I always walk on the right-side, which should always face oncoming traffic.

Unfortunately, a significant  percentage of vehicles drive on the wrong side of the road when there is little to no traffic.  Not sure why they do this. But, maybe they are just riffing, like many jazz players also do.

50 minutes ago, MrPhysio said:

People who travel can obtain medical travel insurance and expats can obtain other types of insurance.

However, if you have ever researched insurance companies, false advertising, money grabbing techniques and every excuse under the sun and moon not to pay out, you will understand why the resistance.

i research the small print and verified complaints, have been a health professional and seen people being stranded by insurers despite years of policy payments, and have personally experienced the same problems.

this includes the major insurers as well as shonky smaller insurers.

So, if you have a major accident, cannot fight your own case due to injury, have paid out for years and thrown your money away plus have to then fund yourself, you will have part of the answer.

Of course, I suggest doing your own research - as some simply take risks 

Insurance company loss adjusters and underwriters pay out if forced or to keep investigators away to stop being liable, so there are examples of good results.

My husband recently received notice that his  policy would not be renewed as he turned 80. They have changed the conditions. Policy was purchased because it was open ended. Never had a claim. 

Hard to find a new insurer.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Some insurance companies do not cover motor cycle riding accidents, and many do not realise that, especially if they do not hold a MC licence in their country or an international permit to ride/drive.

What's the relevance of that, in this case?

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Letseng said:

My husband recently received notice that his  policy would not be renewed as he turned 80. They have changed the conditions. Policy was purchased because it was open ended. Never had a claim. 

Doubly tough! Paid his premiums and never claimed. There was no upper age limit when he took out the policy yet they've decided to sack him off because he's reached 80!

Problem is obviously with the rental shops, who not provide quality and good helmets at all or really really rarely if they do. Can't really expect a tourist to go and spend  6,000-10,000 baht on a helmet during their 1 week holiday.

Same time, I guess they should, if they want to drive and be really safe. Or at least buy a 1K baht full face helmet from tesco, but these are not even available usually on the tourist areas or islands.

Edited by BakedPanda

12 minutes ago, Letseng said:

Why not post that a fifth time?   

What is an "open-ended policy"...did it guarantee cover regardless of age; which insurer? 

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why not post it a fifth time?    What is an "open-ended policy"...did it guarantee cover regardless of age?

Sorry, complain to the website admin about the 5 posts.

Yes, policy had no age limit when it was taken out.

Edited by Letseng
double post
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Homburg said:

Because there are always other people who will pay their medical bills - GoFundMe etc.. 

What do you think your insurance premiums are used for?

43 minutes ago, Letseng said:
46 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why not post it a fifth time?    What is an "open-ended policy"...did it guarantee cover regardless of age?

Yes, policy had no age limit when it was taken out.

That wasn't my question.  Did the insurer guarantee renewal of cover regardless of age?  If you claim that it did, it'll be interesting to know which insurer it was...and, yes, you can mention the name.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

The article says he was cycling. 

I expect it was a bicycle. 

Most sensible people wear a helmet when riding a bicycle.

• Agree 1

From his GoFundMe page:

"a single-person bike accident" = nobody else was involved.

Just in case people want to group this together with all the other usual traffic accidents in Thailand and maybe the not so great driving skills of many of the locals. 

David was involved in a single-person bike accident in Thailand on Saturday morning. He is currently in critical care in the intensive care unit in Phuket Hospital.

David has sustained severe injuries, including:

· Bleeding in the brain
· Deep wound on the forehead
· Multiple broken bones in the face and skull
· Multiple severe fractures across the face
· Broken bones around the nose and eyes
· Split in the roof of the mouth
· Broken teeth
· Depressed areas and more fractures in the skull and forehead
· Various cosmetic wounds on the face