Thailand affected by Microsoft cloud outage

webfact

Thailand affected by Microsoft cloud outage

image.jpeg

Thailand has been affected today by a Microsoft cloud service outage, apparently triggered by software distributed by cybersecurity firm CrowdStrike, which has impacted many businesses worldwide, including AirAsia, a low-cost airline, and hospital systems.

AirAsia announced on its Facebook page that the outage of Microsoft Azure has affected its reservation and check-in systems at all airports.

As a result, the airline has had to resort to a manual system, causing delays for passengers. Passengers are therefore advised to arrive at the airport three hours before departure time.

Meanwhile, Bangkok Hospital Surat, in Surat Thani province, has informed its patients that the outage has affected its IT system as well, causing inconvenience and service delays.

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-07-20

- Cigna offers a range of plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Just now, ChrisY1 said:

Windows, IMO, has always been a dreadful operating system...I've used Apple for 14 years...never seem to have system issues at all....but, I have a Windows laptop because so many of Thailand' site don't recognize Apple. 

you may think it a dreadful operating system but you have answered why people need windows because a lot of the words operating systems run on it.

55 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

Windows, IMO, has always been a dreadful operating system...I've used Apple for 14 years...never seem to have system issues at all....but, I have a Windows laptop because so many of Thailand' site don't recognize Apple. 

As long as I have lived here, more than 25 years, I have used Apple, but I have never had any problems in Thailand that Apple is not recognised, on any website.
Do you sometimes have a Hackintosh?😂

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ChrisY1 said:

How many critical systems rely on Apple?

e.g. Airlines, Banks, Hospitals, etc

Just asking as I don't know...

1 hour ago, chang1 said:

Why come early if flights are delayed? Thais seem to love making you wait around for no good reason.

Bag drop had to do manual check-ins for checked baggage

Manual check-in for those not previously checked in, no recognition for mobile check in

Lots of reasons

Passenger loading systems not working, having to do manual  boarding

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nakhonandy said:

I think it was referring to departures as it would take longer to process the checking manually. 

Indeed, it would appear that online check in systems were affected. I think it was Ryanair that said that under the circumstances they would allow people to check in at the airport for free!!

1 hour ago, ChrisY1 said:

Windows was one of the more minor casualties, the real problem was higher up the ladder with Microsoft's more sophisticated products for large scale enterprises.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, JimHuaHin said:

Where are your back-up providers?  There are none?  Poor planning.

Rubbish.

Business only back up their own data, they cannot back operating systems held on external servers, they are maintained and backed up by a third party, such as Cyberstrike. Business can only work within the paameters available.

Cyberstrike were doing an update which went wrong, the timing of that could be questioned but difficult in an international situation. They would have resolved the issue initially from a backup until the update issue gets fixed.

Updates are carried out regularly without users ever being aware but I suspect there will be a lot of head scratching over updates following this incident.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Wanting some more details on exactly what took down so many Windows-based systems my googling revealed it was due to a defective update of Crowdstrike's Falcon Platform software which integrates with a Windows-based system.  Basically the Falcon software is a fancy anti-hacking/anti-virus program.    See Crowdstrike technical explanation and key to note it mention of its Falcon software.

https://www.crowdstrike.com/blog/technical-details-on-todays-outage/

So, if you were some business that didn't use Crowdstrike's Falcon system you would not be affected which is why many businesses have reported they were not affected which means they were not using the Falcon software...hopefully using some other anti-hacking/anti-virus software....or maybe they simply were not using any anti-hacking software.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

A post contravening our Community Standards has been removed:

27. You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Only post a link, the headline and three sentences from the article. Content in the public domain is limited to the same restrictions.

1 hour ago, ravip said:

How many critical systems rely on Apple?

e.g. Airlines, Banks, Hospitals, etc

Just asking as I don't know...

Very few, and for a very good reason, because only half of the functions in their current system would be available, because too many restrictions , while the system in itself would cost multiple times from what Windows cost.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

Very few, and for a very good reason, because only half of the functions in their current system would be available, because too many restrictions , while the system in itself would cost multiple times from what Windows cost.

Plus Apple is not available as a server, only as a client. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

An  update by " Crowdstrike " globally hit Windows user . ( It really did strike the crowd ... )

It exposed great vulnerability of IT systems using Windows .

Putin , Kim , Xi , all will learn from this .

Modern warfare depends on IT . And , if this is easily hacked or put down , it can be of decisive importance in case of war .

Better fix this soon .

I think everyone was already aware of the possibility of cyber warfare, actually ...