Thailand affected by Microsoft cloud outage

2 hours ago, ravip said:

How many critical systems rely on Apple?

e.g. Airlines, Banks, Hospitals, etc

Just asking as I don't know...

Apple - not really (using BSD Unix). Linux/Unix - a lot.

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, Shocked farang said:

This is the culprit! 

No, this is the fake news expert as written in his bio on the side of the video if you go to watch it on X.

That said, there are 2 headlines to this thread, both articles blame Microsoft for something that Microsoft had nothing to do with. Why not write CROWDSTRIKE's faulty update knocked out Windows machines and caused global chaos...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

This is the official version, I always wait for the real reason.

My window computer didn't have any problems, OK I'm not an airline company. 😁

Edited by BE88
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

Fortunately, no BSOD issue for me, today.

Knock on wood...

image.png.527ff4f56d339bf4397735cf22234b30.png

CrowdStrike's language is so very Orwellian.

CrowdStrike Sucks the Big One.

I will never use anything but Linux, ever again.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

1 hour ago, CallumWK said:

You also still believe in Santa Claus?

image.png.d87b1bfc997026e400bb8104f2c66ba3.png

This was NOT a prank

This was both a bit of humor...

And, this humor was humor with A BARB directed at the idiots at CrowdStrike who actually DID what this comedian only pretended to admit doing.

He was saying, only, that the CrowdStrike guys are FOOLS for what they had done.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Indeed, it would appear that online check in systems were affected. I think it was Ryanair that said that under the circumstances they would allow people to check in at the airport for free!!

You know its serious if Ryanair did not try to benefit from this problem they are never shy to charge customers extra for any excuse 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

I have a Windows laptop because so many of Thailand' site don't recognize Apple. 

Are you not using a browser to access these Thai sites?

AFAIK, browsers that run on Apple are extremely compliant with the same standards for browsers that run on Windows.

I also run only Apple... but in 8 years I never have yet found a Thai website that I cannot access using one of the three browsers (Brave,Chrome&Safari).

55 minutes ago, BE88 said:

OK I'm not an airline company. 😁

But coincidentally, your posting name is a legitimate flight number - it's a Flybe flight between Visby and Stockholm in Sweden.

I know, I've got too much time on my hands. I really need to get out more.....

• Haha 1

I don't usually get involved in 'conspiracy theories' but if you type in 'crowdstrike share price' into Google and look at the 6month view you will see the share price began to dive on 13th July a full six days BEFORE the IT crash yesterday 19th July. I don't think sabotage can be ruled out here as some disgruntled employee about to see his/her shares halved in value might have sought revenge.

5 hours ago, chang1 said:

Why come early if flights are delayed? Thais seem to love making you wait around for no good reason.

:cheesy: Manual vs computerized - not rocket science.

Oh, Thais seems to be creating ALL the problems on this planet - but I still want to live there instead of my

home country.

5 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Windows, IMO, has always been a dreadful operating system...I've used Apple for 14 years...never seem to have system issues at all....but, I have a Windows laptop because so many of Thailand' site don't recognize Apple. 

Comparing a home computer and a huge international network, connected to thousands of various systems is a joke. If Apple was the best and Windows was dreadful, why the majority chooses Windows?

To be very frank, Apple is a self contained small system, over priced and has a limited set of die hard followers, swearing by it. Majority of the Apple users are very basic level users, compared to Windows, Linux, Android etc. who tweak  their systems and try various experiments.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Was planning a trip to southern China. Colleagues tell me they rarely want cash there any more. All phone apps. This is looking more risky now.

2 hours ago, Keeps said:

But coincidentally, your posting name is a legitimate flight number - it's a Flybe flight between Visby and Stockholm in Sweden.

I know, I've got too much time on my hands. I really need to get out more.....

Thank you for your information Sir.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Lorry said:

Why the affected airlines in the OP are only low-cost carriers?

I noticed that and I suspect the update affected the different Microsoft systems in use to a different degree.

In the UK it was not only airlines but rail travel, hospitals and the like of the stock exchange were all affected.

I read that in hospitals some operations were being done manually rather than electronically.

1 hour ago, Purdey said:

Was planning a trip to southern China. Colleagues tell me they rarely want cash there any more. All phone apps. This is looking more risky now.

I went in 2019 and yes they prefer payment by QR code.  It is difficult for a foreigner, unless things have changed, you need a local bank account. I got bye with cash but there can be a problem with change, if it wasn't much I just ignored it.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

And then soon they (all these governments) want to introduce the CBDC, you see it happening.😂

They are practicing now for that very event. You will own nothing.  Anything man made is man breakable. When will we learn? 

8 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Cyber war will come soon... wipe out a countries communication network and it will fall quickly into disarray.

Surprised essential system are not using the more secure forms of Linux

• Agree 1

Thailand to be the Hub of IT melt downs, that's a headline I could believe, surprised they haven't got on the band wagon already as being the global data centre HUB.

3 hours ago, curious297 said:

They are practicing now for that very event. You will own nothing.  Anything man made is man breakable. When will we learn? 

I come from europe and yes I know the motive ven one Klaus of the WEF, where the statement comes from.
I feel reasonably safe here and don't have that many years left to go but if I had to choose again I would leave europe far behind me even though the world is becoming a bigger and bigger mess.
Unfortunately, it will take a major reset to get rid of this.

On 7/20/2024 at 7:25 AM, JimHuaHin said:

A timely warning?

Where is your back-up system big business?   What back-up system?

When global big business depends on one cybersecurity business - for example StrikeForce - and one software/cloud provider - say Microsoft - you are asking for trouble.  Where are your back-up providers?  There are none?  Poor planning.

After my first major personal computer problem, almost 4 decades ago, I learnt to back-up my work (daily, if not hourly) and computer hard drive (weekly).  Later I learnt to have a functioning back-up computer, once my computer was "out of action" for a week and I could not do any work.

What appears to have been a small insignificant programming/coding error has created global chaos; thankfully most essential global services have been unaffected.

Will big business learn from this "system error"?

It's not as easy as you seem to think. How do you restore a backup to thousands of computers when they don't even boot up? Unfortunately, in this case each will have to be restored individually. That's what is taking long time, plus the fact that the update was pushed on a Friday night. Limited support over the weekend.

I'm sure potential adversaries are leaning from this.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, SpaceKadet said:

update was pushed on a Friday night.

It was a Thursday in California,  right?

(I know on paper they moved to Texas)

On 7/20/2024 at 6:43 AM, chang1 said:

Why come early if flights are delayed? Thais seem to love making you wait around for no good reason.

Don't all airports / airlines do this the world over? That's my experience. Of course doing this creates a huge bottleneck of frustrated travellers at airports and if things like automated immigration gates and cashless check out terminals at the food and drink outlets, ATMs aren't working either......need I say more?

Being a bit of a techno-phobe, I find all this quite funny.  The more we become reliant on all this c r a p, the more vulnerable we become.

Imagine this happening in the very near future where we are told there will be driverless cars and AI will be running everything - total chaos.  Should be interesting though.

This latest 'crash' is hot on the heels of another IT failure that lead to several UK retailers being unable to process card or phone payments.  Good news for me on my daily visit to Greggs for my bacon sandwich & coffee that I purchase with good old fashioned cash in this so called 'cashless society' - no queue!  Quite a lot of those 'cashless' people went hungry that day.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1