Syphilis cases triple among Thai teens, fivefold increase in pregnant women

COVER-PIC-88.jpg

The Department of Disease Control (DDC) reported a significant increase in sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) among Thai people, particularly syphilis. Cases of syphilis among teenagers have tripled compared to previous years and the number of pregnant women with syphilis has increased fivefold.

DDC spokesperson Weerawat Manosutthi reported today, July 23, that the situation regarding STDs in Thailand worsened in the past five years, with an increase in the number of STD patients annually, especially those with syphilis.

A report concluded on July 18 showed that syphilis cases in Thailand doubled compared to 2018 (from an average of 11 to 28.1 per 100,000 population). Weerawat highlighted those cases among teenagers tripled, from an average of 27.9 to 91.2 per 100,000 population.

The spokesperson also revealed that the number of syphilis cases among Thai pregnant women increased fivefold compared to the previous year, 2023. The average number of cases in 2023 was 0.26 per 100,000 population but this year it is 1.3.

Weerawat concluded that this indicates unsafe sexual activity among Thai people which also increases the risk of contracting HIV by five to nine times.

He explained that syphilis is primarily transmitted through unprotected sex, sharing needles with an infected person, or from an untreated pregnant woman to her unborn baby. Some patients may have no symptoms in the early stages, allowing the disease to affect the brain or cardiovascular system.

To prevent the disease, Weerawat urged people of all sexual orientations to use condoms during sexual activity and undergo regular blood tests. He also advised couples with syphilis to abstain from sex during treatment.

For pregnant women, Weerawat recommended seeking prenatal care as soon as possible. The first registration should not be later than 12 weeks. Early prenatal care allows for timely treatment of syphilis in pregnant women, preventing transmission to their children.

By Petch Petpailin

Photo by Gerry Popplestone via Flickr

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-07-23

- Cigna offers a range of plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 3

15 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

The average number of cases in 2023 was 0.26 per 100,000 population but this year it is 1.3.

So 99,998.7 are not infected.

17 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

use condoms

Those odds I think I will take my chances.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Nick Carter icp said:

That is the whole population .

Take away the old and young people and those in relationships and non sex people  .

If you just include your target group , young pretty prostitutes who don't use condoms , then the figure will be way higher .

It would be quite likely that they have some STD

Always urinate shortly after, flushes it out, does the trick.

For oral, make sure the girl gargles on Listerine before.

A lot of the hookers know the listerine trick. It ain’t for their breath.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tarahaelle/2016/12/21/got-gonorrhoea-try-gargling-with-listerine-no-really/#:~:text=Of these post-gargling swabs,gonorrhea bacteria in their mouths.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

What are the symptom of Syphalis and gonareah ?

Are they quite similar to the symptom's of Syphilis and Gonorrhoea ?

Oh Nicky...bit pedantic this evening.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

funny thing is, when a prospect teacher does a medical it is the only STD they test for.

That is for your work permit, regardless of being a teacher or not.

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

As you can see from some posters on this forum, they aren't concerned about catching diseases or spreading diseases or pregnancies  , their only concern is condom free sex 

Can you answer the 3 questions above Nicky?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, MalcolmB said:

Those odds I think I will take my chances.

"28.1 per 100,000 population"

You are looking at the number for pregnant women I think.

Even still, I think you are misinterpreting.

28.1 per 100,000 is unselective, probably includes all living persons.

So grandmas, babys, kids, and all of those who are not sexually active.

So the risk, while still low, is higher than you would think on first glance.

• Like 1

THe result of the (non existing) Thai sexual education.. The teachers are too shamed to talk about to the kids so they have to find out everything by themselves with this kind of results for example

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

These figures are for Thai pregnant women. 

Very few of us here are having a fling with pregnant women. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

6 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:
8 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

You don't know what you are missing out on. 

Yes I do.

Syphilis.

Nothing better than being inside the woman you love. 

If you are having sex with women from Coconut Bar etc, yes syphilis is likely. 

Avoid these types. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

These STIs are not the treatable diseases of your youth. These are antibiotic resistant super strains and present a serious threat to public health.  Taking antibiotics destroys the natural flora of the stomach and puts the user at  a higher risk for other diseases, so the uptick in the number of infections should not be  laughed off

If you look at the Syphilis epidemic that has been ongoing since the 1990's in Germany, you will see another reason  why the Thai infections should be a concern: They closely associated with those who are infected with HIV.

Edited by Patong2021
  • Agree 2