VLC Media Player Has Crashed.

Thia happened about 2 hours ago. Has it crashed for everyone who was using it or just me? If it was just me what should I do? Just use another player, uninstall VLC and then reinstall it again.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, soisanuk said:

Since the app is downloaded to your computer, my suggestion is to uninstall and download/install it again.

That is what I did, then it played havoc, so I restarted the laptop and now it seems OK. Fingers crossed.

18 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

Thia happened about 2 hours ago. Has it crashed for everyone who was using it or just me? If it was just me what should I do? Just use another player, uninstall VLC and then reinstall it again.

My VLC has just crashed again, I think it might have something to do with using an external hard drive which is half full of TV series's.

Just now, NoshowJones said:

My VLC has just crashed again, I think it might have something to do with using an external hard drive which is half full of TV series's.

Where did you buy these TV series?

Getting sick of watching Thai content all day long, without understanding a single word. Anyhow it is essentially gasps and moans.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

Where did you buy these TV series?

Getting sick of watching Thai content all day long, without understanding a single word. Anyhow it is essentially gasps and moans.

I did not buy them, I downloaded them from the internet, they are mostly American or British TV series and I only watch them at night.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Mostly, it will not be enough with just uninstalling a crashed program in the Windows standard way. I suggest you download IObit Uninstaller, and after uninstall the program from that interface. Usually it will make a more clean uninstall and also remove registry entries as well as settings for a program. An alternative to IObit is Advanced PC Cleanup.

After that, you should restart your computer, and reinstall the VLC player. Hopefully, that will help you with your problem.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Mostly, it will not be enough with just uninstalling a crashed program in the Windows standard way. I suggest you download IObit Uninstaller, and after uninstall the program from that interface. Usually it will make a more clean uninstall and also remove registry entries as well as settings for a program. An alternative to IObit is Advanced PC Cleanup.

After that, you should restart your computer, and reinstall the VLC player. Hopefully, that will help you with your problem.

That is good advice I will give it a go. Thanks.

43 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I did not buy them, I downloaded them from the internet, they are mostly American or British TV series and I only watch them at night.

Two things to try. Copy one of the movies causing a crash onto your C Drive and disconnect the D drive. Play that movie to see if still happens

Or try watching during the day! 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Glary Utilities also scans the Registry when a programme is uninstalled.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

Two things to try. Copy one of the movies causing a crash onto your C Drive and disconnect the D drive. Play that movie to see if still happens

Or try watching during the day! 

I don't think it is any of the movies, or in my case TV shows, I think it is something to do with plugging my external hard drive which is half full of these TV shows. Maybe I should just use the small thingy's, I forget what you call them.

Just now, bubblegum said:

Yeah but l like potplayer better because (to me) quality seems better.

The quality also depends on where the 4k movie came from, your Graphics card and other hardware on your PC. And of course, your monitor screen. One UHD monitor is not the same as another. Compare Samsung & TCL.

3 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I don't think it is any of the movies, or in my case TV shows, I think it is something to do with plugging my external hard drive which is half full of these TV shows. Maybe I should just use the small thingy's, I forget what you call them.

Try playing the movies on Windows Player. The fact that your SSD is only half full/empty makes no difference. If it is a HDD that could be causing problems so defrag it.

Those thingies are called USB sticks, but you need USB3 not 2 , and a  reputable make to do it.

Edited by KannikaP

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Try playing the movies on Windows Player. The fact that your SSD is only half full/empty makes no difference. If it is a HDD that could be causing problems so defrag it.

Those thingies are called USB sticks, but you need USB3 not 2 , and a  reputable make to do it.

Thanks for your help, I have a slight idea of what you mean, but I'm not sure about the SSD or HDD, I just know it as an external hard drive.

1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

You are probably right, particularly if the hard drive is quite big and connected to a USB2 port. I have several external hard drives of various sizes and the 500GB can bring the computer to a standstill for several minutes.

You should check the laptop spec, it may have both both USB 2 & 3 available.

Wouldn't do any harm to defrag the hard drive.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Thanks for your help, I have a slight idea of what you mean, but I'm not sure about the SSD or HDD, I just know it as an external hard drive.

Download and install SPEKKY. Then it will tell you, under STORAGE, what your drives are and their capacites.

And as both I and SandyF have said, defrag HDDs, optimise SSDs, all from Start, Settings, Disk Management.

Edited by KannikaP

16 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You are probably right, particularly if the hard drive is quite big and connected to a USB2 port. I have several external hard drives of various sizes and the 500GB can bring the computer to a standstill for several minutes.

You should check the laptop spec, it may have both both USB 2 & 3 available.

Wouldn't do any harm to defrag the hard drive.

Thanks Sandy, though I'm not sure about defrag, I noticed it in my CC cleaner so I will look into it.

26 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I am assuming you are trying to open the movie from VLC.

If you go to windows explorer and then click on the external  hard drive, find the movie folder, the movie you want and click to  open it.

The response time of windows explorer will indicate if there is a problem with the drive.

If all ok there is every chance that it will try and open with Windows Media Player, unless you have changed the default. If it opens and plays ok then the problem may well be down to VLC, if it doesn't play then would appear to be the drive.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Download and install SPEKKY. Then it will tell you, under STORAGE, what your drives are and their capacites.

And as both I and SandyF have said, defrag HDDs, optimise SSDs, all from Start, Settings, Disk Management.

Thanks I will look into it and see what I can do

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Thanks Sandy, though I'm not sure about defrag, I noticed it in my CC cleaner so I will look into it.

It is built in.

Go to windows explorer and click on the drive, Right click and select "Properties", from the options at top click on "tools",  lower  option should be "organise and defragment".

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1