Paetongtarn Shinawatra Elected as Thailand's 31st Prime Minister

13 hours ago, sscc said:

In Thailand,  age does matter.  ( in opposite way to what you think  ) 

Thai party picked this young lady rather than a 75-year old and unhealthy alternate. 

key word  "picked" ... ( choose (someone or something) from a number of alternatives, typically after careful thought. )

"install" ...      place (someone) in a new position of authority

Talk about not drinking your soup when it's hot ..... The "guy" waited 15 years to moon, flip the bird, then stick it in and break it off

how long does it take a kettle to boil ? Angry tea kettle Royalty Free Vector Image - VectorStock

• Confused 1

So when will his sister be coming back and I’ll charges will be dismissed. The political scene here is the same as everything else corruption from the top to the bottom. The guy with all the multimillion dollar watches that struck journalist was happening to where one of his million dollar watches Talking about weird stuff where is the Red Bull kid? TIT

• Agree 1

What a joke. Again someone totally incompetent. I would say this is the most incompetent Thai PM during the last 30-40 years. Maybe more.

There will be another military coup within 5 years. However, it depends on how much she will bend over for the military?

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, dinsdale said:

I was here when the army kicked daddy out. I was here when the army kicked aunty out. Will I get to see another one get booted out by the army in the future?

I was here in the 70's for that coup too, seen the others in this century, any progress being made was always put on hold and those charges against the new pm's daddy would not be charges in most countries.  The military had many years to unearth and fabricate whatever they would charge him with.  Now they start from scratch again.  Until the people actually wake up, and realize that they do not want this kind of government, then it will remain like this.  Seems to me that the common folk get poorer and poorer - oh yeah that is in the developed countries too as the elected officials give tax breaks to the rich while shrinking whatever middle class there is.  However once the middle class is gone, real trouble will probably follow.  I hope this country remains stable for a while as I still love living here.  Now we await the words on tax schemes and visa schemes.

Best of luck to the new government and all the expats here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Patong2021 said:

Even if that person is unqualified?

This question of "qualifications" crops up regularly on these forums.

The only "qualifications " required are that the candidate is selected/elected by the appropriate means; under the constitution.

The current Thai parliament has allowed for the formation of a coalition of parties which forms a government. That the formation of that coalition was flawed, compounded by the shenanigans of the Senate, does not change the fact that they are a majority within Parliament. They selected her as Prime Minister. The manoeuvring and influence of Thaksin doesn't change that. She was selected in accordance with the rules.

Now I don't think she is likely to be a particularly good Prime Minister; but then the alternatives, time serving dinosaurs or the scions of a different political clan chief (albeit one who mustered less support than Thaksin's Pheu Thai), are also less than appealing. But "qualified" she is. Unless "qualified" is shorthand for "I don't like her or her party"!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1

Everyone is talking about a 'Coup'

Thailand's economy is already at the edge of the abyss.

A coup would guarantee it topples into it.

I can't (don't want to) believe that they would be so mind numbingly stupid......but there again.

It might be the straw that breaks the peoples backs....after they start to starve.

It amazes me that the Thai  people do nothing. Democracy is only a word. Personally I wouldn't invest 100 baht in such a political charade and the existence of CRS.  Keep their country.

55 minutes ago, Presnock said:

I was here in the 70's for that coup too, seen the others in this century, any progress being made was always put on hold and those charges against the new pm's daddy would not be charges in most countries.  The military had many years to unearth and fabricate whatever they would charge him with.  Now they start from scratch again.  Until the people actually wake up, and realize that they do not want this kind of government, then it will remain like this.  Seems to me that the common folk get poorer and poorer - oh yeah that is in the developed countries too as the elected officials give tax breaks to the rich while shrinking whatever middle class there is.  However once the middle class is gone, real trouble will probably follow.  I hope this country remains stable for a while as I still love living here.  Now we await the words on tax schemes and visa schemes.

Best of luck to the new government and all the expats here.

Actually, it may benefit foreigners living here as far as new laws being enacted and the rise or fall of the baht. If I recall the thai bahts value decreases during protests and an unstable government making our foreign currency more valuable. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MikeandDow said:

Parliamentary Procedures

MFP no longer exists as an opposition party in the House. That then gives the minority PTP a majority, ie., 51%. As such the Senate cannot vote for PM if 51% vote is received in the House by party, in this case the FORMER minority PTP coalition.

BS flows faster than truth, Move Forward Party for example took months to build (scamble together) make up, all the reasons to get rid of it. Such bold and very public manipulation. 

18 hours ago, Will B Good said:

This is crazy.

She hasn't done any interviews, she's got zero policies, she claims to be Chinese, but then suddenly she's Thai......what or who did she do to get this far?........why are people backing her, why is she suddenly so popular.....IT ISN'T FAIR.

Oh....wrong thread.

I don't actually know or have proof but a Chinese-Thai Engineering Director friend told me that Thaksin & family are Chinese-Thais. Again not sure, but I think the Thai law says Chinese-Thais can hold office but must be at least twice-removed from Chinese origin. Perhaps a forum member here can give a more accurate comment.

6 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

MFP no longer exists as an opposition party in the House. That then gives the minority PTP a majority, ie., 51%. As such the Senate cannot vote for PM if 51% vote is received in the House by party, in this case the FORMER minority PTP coalition.

As i said you have no idea about parliamentary procedures 

1 MFP does not exist any more BUT PP party does in opposition its just a name change nothing has altered.

2 the senate has nothing to do with voting in the house in regard to the PM vote,

your  post is a lot of meaning less ramble

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1