Paetongtarn Shinawatra Elected as Thailand's 31st Prime Minister

11 minutes ago, parallelman said:

I don't actually know or have proof but a Chinese-Thai Engineering Director friend told me that Thaksin & family are Chinese-Thais. Again not sure, but I think the Thai law says Chinese-Thais can hold office but must be at least twice-removed from Chinese origin. Perhaps a forum member here can give a more accurate comment.

she is of Hakka Chinese  descent far removed

Google is your friend

Edited by MikeandDow

Just now, MikeandDow said:

how long you been in Thailand ???? and don't know who the drug dealer is,  google is you friend

I did a quick Google search for 'Thai drug dealer' and nothing stands out.

You are calling someone a drug dealer and I am asking who.

Why can't you just answer the question?

1 minute ago, Will B Good said:

Thamanat Prompow has faced various accusations and controversies beyond his drug trafficking conviction in Australia. Some of these include:

1. **Forgery of Documents**: Thamanat has been accused of providing false information about his educational background. He claimed to have a doctorate from a university in the United States, which was later revealed to be from a degree mill—a fraudulent institution that sells degrees without requiring academic achievement.

2. **Corruption Allegations**: Thamanat has faced accusations of corruption and misuse of power during his political career. These allegations include influencing appointments within the government and manipulating contracts for personal gain, although these accusations have not led to formal charges or convictions.

3. **Involvement in Vote-Buying**: He has been accused of engaging in vote-buying and using underhanded tactics to secure political support, particularly during his time as a political operative in rural areas.

4. **Links to Criminal Networks**: There have been persistent rumors and accusations regarding his alleged connections to criminal networks in Thailand, although concrete evidence has not been publicly presented to substantiate these claims.

Despite these controversies, Thamanat has maintained significant influence in Thai politics, often due to his strong connections and ability to mobilize political support.

Not listed here pretty sure he was arrested but released without charge for rape and murder.

Thank you Will.

At least someone has enough manners to answer a simple question.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Paetongtarn Shinawatra and her Cabinet to deliver on their promises and guide the nation toward a brighter future

Like every other government before: guide themselves to a brighter future, while screwing the nation.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Its a smart move, the right move and the most viable move. Of course she is going to consult with her father and her Auntie on some issues, whose daughter or son doesn't?  With all of that experience, knowledge and know-how available to her she'd actually be remiss if she didn't.

She appeals to the masses of Red Shirts and she appeals to the younger voters who were behind Peta. 

The Thaksin haters will have a field day but they have allowed their hatred of him to cloud their judgement. She deserves this chance and I can think of at least 2 people who will "have her back" and be supporting her every move. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, parallelman said:

I don't actually know or have proof but a Chinese-Thai Engineering Director friend told me that Thaksin & family are Chinese-Thais. Again not sure, but I think the Thai law says Chinese-Thais can hold office but must be at least twice-removed from Chinese origin. Perhaps a forum member here can give a more accurate comment.

Fourth and Fifth Generations. 

Father of grandfather of Thaksin came from China. 

Grandfather of grandfather of this young PM came from China. 

Such is info related your fuss. 

Just now, Jackbenimble said:

Its a smart move, the right move and the most viable move. Of course she is going to consult with her father and her Auntie on some issues, whose daughter or son doesn't?  With all of that experience, knowledge and know-how available to her she'd actually be remiss if she didn't.

She appeals to the masses of Red Shirts and she appeals to the younger voters who were behind Peta. 

The Thaksin haters will have a field day but they have allowed their hatred of him to cloud their judgement. She deserves this chance and I can think of at least 2 people who will "have her back" and be supporting her every move. 

I would agree it is a smart move, but I would have gone with one more fall guy before installing her.....make sure she started with a clean slate.

I doubt she will be in charge in any meaningful sense until Thaksin passes away from his multiple, life threatening health problems.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

I would agree it is a smart move, but I would have gone with one more fall guy before installing her.....make sure she started with a clean slate.

I doubt she will be in charge in any meaningful sense until Thaksin passes away from his multiple, life threatening health problems.

I think expediency won the day as there were already rumours about another coup. That would have been a huge nail in Thailands coffin if that had been allowed to happen. 

Her appoiontment has been in the making for at least a year - all the deals that needed to be done were done and all the palms that needed greasing were greased. So.......

3 minutes ago, Jackbenimble said:

I think expediency won the day as there were already rumours about another coup. That would have been a huge nail in Thailands coffin if that had been allowed to happen. 

Her appoiontment has been in the making for at least a year - all the deals that needed to be done were done and all the palms that needed greasing were greased. So.......

Yes...I would also agree with that....."bird in the hand".....and all that.....get her position secured at least and then worry about the wallet, subs, F35s etc.

3 minutes ago, Jackbenimble said:

This young, inexperienced PM is going to be helped and surrounded by political savvy  personnel,  at least for a while,    On top of that,  she also has her father advising her.

I don't know if she is capable  "learning on the job",  that is very important .

Globally there had been inexperienced rose to the top job in recent time, some capable and some incapable learning on the job. 

Capable learning  2009 USA Barak Obama came to Washington without experience. 

Incapable learning :   Canada Justin Trudeau took top job in Ottawa in 2015

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Leader of Pheu Thai Party, Paetongtarn Shinawatra, daughter of Thailand's former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, talks to reporters during a press conference in Bangkok, Thailand, Thursday, Aug. 15, 2024. (AP Photo/Sakchai Lalit)

Paetongtarn Shinawatra, 37, was elected as Thailand's 31st Prime Minister on Friday, gaining majority support from the House of Representatives. She becomes the country's youngest and second female leader.

The House approved Ms. Paetongtarn with 319 votes in favor, 145 against, 27 abstentions, and 2 non-votes. As the daughter of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, she brings a blend of political legacy and business expertise to the role. She holds degrees from Chulalongkorn University and the University of Surrey in the UK and has served as CEO of Rende Development, managing hotel and golf course enterprises.

Her rise follows the Constitutional Court's decision on Wednesday to oust her predecessor, Srettha Thavisin, for ethics violations related to a Cabinet appointment. The new Pheu Thai-led government faces immediate challenges, including economic recovery and the future of the controversial Digital Wallet project.

Coalition dynamics are expected to remain largely stable, with potential minor adjustments in Cabinet positions. Paetongtarn previously held leadership roles in national soft power and mental health committees under the Srettha administration.

Economic stability and the Digital Wallet project, a contentious initiative aimed at transforming the local economy, are expected to be top priorities for Paetongtarn's administration. The public remains divided on the project's feasibility and impact, making it a critical issue during her tenure.

Beyond economic policies, Paetongtarn is likely to focus on strengthening Thailand's international relations and enhancing domestic welfare programs. Her combination of youth and experience offers a dynamic leadership profile that many hope will effectively address Thailand's pressing challenges.

As Thailand enters this new chapter, all eyes will be on Paetongtarn Shinawatra and her Cabinet to deliver on their promises and guide the nation toward a brighter future.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-16

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

As a foreigner, resident retiree in Chiang Mai I wish her well. I am thinking the family certainly goes into the history books as unique in having Father, his Sister and now his Daughter elected as Prime Ministers. When I retired here I was able to arrange a congratulatory Kentucky Legislature Resolution for Yingluck as the first female Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Thailand. As I gave it to the then US Consul General to be sent to PM Yingluck, I never learned if the PM ever received the framed Resolution.

Edited by Wrwest

18 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Hey its a win win for the government........They got millions of peoples personal info who registered for the 10,000.....And if its scrapped they will not have to pay out one baht...

Wait until you hear about ID cards and Tabien Baans...

4 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

3 Prime Ministers from one family makes a Dynasty? A political dynasty or an actual dynasty. 

Political dynasty for now........actual dynasty is still work in progress.

Just now, renaissanc said:

Duties:

1.  Absolve Thaksin of all crimes.

2.  Absolve Yingluck of all crimes so she can return at once.

3.  Sit back and let Thaksin run the country as he pleases.

I would have to say....that is spot on.

Maybe throw in a few axes being ground ready for use in due course?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, phetphet said:

Only until just before the next election. 

All competing parties will be dissolved by the EC before the next election.

20 hours ago, pokerface1 said:

True enough!!  We all know how's pulling her strings 

Age doesn't matter so much when you have your  daddy to guide you. The headline tries to dismiss the obvious pretending to be ignorant.

The political realities in one picture.

howdy-doody-1908981378.jpg.bb7ec2b73e6b7fd0c1dde3da3046863d.jpg

• Haha 1