Zebra crossing drama: Pickup truck hits student outside school - video

Screenshot-2024-08-16-103209-1.jpg

A careless pickup truck driver struck a student walking across a zebra crossing in front of a school, causing him to be thrown onto the road. This incident was captured on a TikTok video posted by user @boonlertkhunkham yesterday, August 15.

The video reveals the shocking accident that occurred on August 6. A group of students were standing by the roadside, preparing to cross the zebra crossing. As the road began to clear, an individual stepped forward to signal vehicles to stop, allowing the students to cross safely. However, a pickup truck approached the crossing at speed and collided with one of several students crossing, one of which was flung onto the road, sustaining injuries. The driver immediately braked and exited the vehicle to check on the injured student.

“I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. One moment the students were waiting to cross, and the next, a truck came out of nowhere and hit one of them.”

The careless driver’s actions following the accident were captured in the video. The driver appeared visibly shaken as they ran to assist the injured student. The clip, shared widely on TikTok, sparked a wave of reactions, with many viewers expressing their concern and outrage over the driver’s apparent lack of attention.

“This is a clear example of why it’s crucial for drivers to be vigilant around school zones. Children’s safety should always come first.”

Local police have since been involved, and an investigation is underway to determine the exact circumstances leading up to the accident. The driver of the pickup truck may face charges pending the investigation’s outcome. The incident has reignited discussions about road safety, particularly around schools, and the necessity for stricter enforcement of traffic laws to protect pedestrians.

“We need better measures to ensure the safety of our children. This could have been much worse, and it’s a wake-up call for everyone.”

The injured student is currently receiving medical care, and their condition is being closely monitored. The school has issued a statement expressing their concern and commitment to supporting the student and their family during this difficult time. They have also called for increased awareness and caution from all road users, reported KhaoSod.

By Puntid Tantivangphaisal

video capture TikTok @boonlertkhunkham

Source: The Thaiger 2024-08-16

-  Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 4

4 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Watch again.  There's a massive truck making a U-turn that blocks his view for most of the approach.

hard to say... the large truck was in the 3rd lane it seems and the pick up was going really fast. it still seems he had a clear view of the first kids crossing but did not slow down but i get your point

Edited by Pouatchee
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

I am in South America at present for my annual 6 month vacation. And one thing I have noticed here is how friendly the drivers are.. When standing near a cross walk I cannot tell you how many just stop and blink their light to cross.  In Thailand I was always looking and trying to predict how fast they were coming. And driving there was just insane. 

Edited by Gknrd
  • Like 1

Thai's need educating about Zebra crossings what they mean... Death Traps as we have and are seeing Cross the Road No Matter where in Thailand with Caution look in all 6 directions left right front rear up and down- No Stripped Painted Lines on the Road will compensate for low IQ's

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Watch again.  There's a massive truck making a U-turn that blocks his view for most of the approach.

Yes, but only if you are a complete moron who shouldn't be in charge of anything more complicated than a shopping trolley.

Literally anyone who was is reasonably competent driver would have avoided this accident. 

But the problem runs much deeper than that because anyone crossing a road has an obligation for their own safety. You should be focused on what is going on around you at all times. You can never assume that motorists will see you and stop, even, or perhaps more importantly at zebra crossings.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

For the driver children were hidden behind truck doing u-turn.

1.png.caccae4ad8fe0684ae1a45d02d1cbe11.png

From his point of view they appeared in the middle of the road out of nowhere.

The guy had only this distance to react.

2.png.470904c7da39cae323867fd96b599134.png

And he almost managed to stop before the crosswalk. Stopping in the middle.

3.png.375fcbc998573f5dc34a6c20981ff2c4.png

I don't see a reason why so much hate against the guy. Acceptable reaction.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 8
  • Haha 2

In my country everybody is being taught to check both sides of the road before crossing the streets. In Thailand it seems normal just to cross without looking and drivers don't care at all because of their excellent driving education to stop for zebracrossings, orange/red lights or even slow down.

3 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

That's true but it looks as if they may have been driving too fast to stop within the distance they could see.

• Agree 1

All that’s being discussed right now is how much is the driver going to pay the family of the poor kid for his injuries. Family happy, driver happy, police happy, money paid no further action required. Case closed.

• Sad 4
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

Most Thais don't look past the tip of their noses when driving.

I wouldn´t say most, but a lot more than the median of bad drivers in the world.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Yes, but only if you are a complete moron who shouldn't be in charge of anything more complicated than a shopping trolley.

Literally anyone who was is reasonably competent driver would have avoided this accident. 

But the problem runs much deeper than that because anyone crossing a road has an obligation for their own safety. You should be focused on what is going on around you at all times. You can never assume that motorists will see you and stop, even, or perhaps more importantly at zebra crossings.

I don't buy that.

Zebra crossings exist to provide legal safety for pedestrians to cross the road and at zebra crossing drivers have a responsibility to check it's safe to proceed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

At the start yes, but the driver had a clear view and plenty of time to react.

• Like 2

Time to install traffic lights or at least orange flashing Belisha beacons at all pedestrian crossings, as well as zig zag lines (no stopping zones) as done in the UK. 

In Bangkok, I often see songtaews stop actually on crossings and alighting passengers try to cross immediately with driver’s view blocked. 

Schools/local authorities could also appoint school crossing patrols with flags or signs to help kids cross the roads.

Doesn’t anyone care about their kids’ safety here?

11 hours ago, AnotherOneHere said:

For the driver children were hidden behind truck doing u-turn.

1.png.caccae4ad8fe0684ae1a45d02d1cbe11.png

From his point of view they appeared in the middle of the road out of nowhere.

The guy had only this distance to react.

2.png.470904c7da39cae323867fd96b599134.png

And he almost managed to stop before the crosswalk. Stopping in the middle.

3.png.375fcbc998573f5dc34a6c20981ff2c4.png

I don't see a reason why so much hate against the guy. Acceptable reaction.

-He was driving too fast
-There is a zebra clearly recognisable
-It is likely that there were warnings regarding a school

And then you start defending the incident?
Was it related to you sometimes?

• Agree 1