Car accident advice

I was a passenger in the car of a female friend the other day when she had a slight prang.

She pulled into the kerb and went into the shop to get something, as we were leaving, she put her right indicator on to exit the kerb and a motorbike cut in front of her to park the bike between her car and the car in front of us, the bike parked, but she tapped it as she pulled out of the kerb and the bike fell, with the bikes mirror scratching the back bumper of the other car, it was a minor scratch, no damage to the bike and the biker left after I picked it up, in other words he wasn't fussed and probably knew he was in the wrong.

The son of the owner of the car, said to the driver of the car I was in to come and apologise to her parents for hitting their car, I asked her to translate, which she did, I said, tell him you didn't hit their car, the illegally parked bike did, he said, to give him 4,000 baht to give to his parents for the damage and to apologise to them, again I asked her to translate, then told her to exchange details and give him her license details and that her insurance company will contact him, we then left.

Persistent he was, as he called her 5 minutes after we left and said that if she didn't return and apologise to his parents for the damage and offer 4,000 baht for the damage, he would go to the police, again, she translated for me, and I told her to tell him to go to the police, he added, he would charge her for 1,000 baht every day the car was off the road getting repaired....LOL and the bill would be 8,000 baht for the repair as his panel beater friend was texted a photo of the minor scratch caused by the bike. She then offered him 2,000 baht, and he said if she wasn't there in 5 minutes he would go to the cops, I said tell him to FO.

2 days later a cop called her and asked to her to come in, I told her to tell the cop that you won't be going in, and the idiot can send her a letter of demand with a quote and she will go through her 1st class insurance, but not before filing a police report about the bike that was illegally parked between the cars which she couldn't see because she was driving her pickup, and then the insurers can chase him. The cop said offer him something to sort it out, and she said she did offer him 2,000 baht, and the cop said, oh ok, then you sort it out with him as it's really a trivial matter.

Today she received 2 missed calls from him as I told her not to answer his calls, suffice to say he can GF and send her a letter of demand so she can put it through her insurer, but not before filing a police report about the bike as she has the bike's registration details.

Anyone been in a similar situation or anyone thinking I am going the wrong way about this, i.e. with my advice to her ?

What's really irked me is his stubborn attitude and more than that him wanting her to apologise to his parents, which is ridiculous, accidents happen. 

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I was a passenger in the car of a female friend the other day when she had a slight prang.

She pulled into the kerb and went into the shop to get something, as we were leaving, she put her right indicator on to exit the kerb and a motorbike cut in front of her to park the bike between her car and the car in front of us, the bike parked, but she tapped it as she pulled out of the kerb and the bike fell, with the bikes mirror scratching the back bumper of the other car, it was a minor scratch, no damage to the bike and the biker left after I picked it up, in other words he wasn't fussed and probably knew he was in the wrong.

The son of the owner of the car, said to the driver of the car I was in to come and apologise to her parents for hitting their car, I asked her to translate, which she did, I said, tell him you didn't hit their car, the illegally parked bike did, he said, to give him 4,000 baht to give to his parents for the damage and to apologise to them, again I asked her to translate, then told her to exchange details and give him her license details and that her insurance company will contact him, we then left.

Persistent he was, as he called her 5 minutes after we left and said that if she didn't return and apologise to his parents for the damage and offer 4,000 baht for the damage, he would go to the police, again, she translated for me, and I told her to tell him to go to the police, he added, he would charge her for 1,000 baht every day the car was off the road getting repaired....LOL and the bill would be 8,000 baht for the repair as his panel beater friend was texted a photo of the minor scratch caused by the bike. She then offered him 2,000 baht, and he said if she wasn't there in 5 minutes he would go to the cops, I said tell him to FO.

2 days later a cop called her and asked to her to come in, I told her to tell the cop that you won't be going in, and the idiot can send her a letter of demand with a quote and she will go through her 1st class insurance, but not before filing a police report about the bike that was illegally parked between the cars which she couldn't see because she was driving her pickup, and then the insurers can chase him. The cop said offer him something to sort it out, and she said she did offer him 2,000 baht, and the cop said, oh ok, then you sort it out with him as it's really a trivial matter.

Today she received 2 missed calls from him as I told her not to answer his calls, suffice to say he can GF and send her a letter of demand so she can put it through her insurer, but not before filing a police report about the bike as she has the bike's registration details.

Anyone been in a similar situation or anyone thinking I am going the wrong way about this, i.e. with my advice to her ?

What's really irked me is his stubborn attitude and more than that him wanting her to apologise to his parents, which is ridiculous, accidents happen. 

obviously your friend was not aware of any scratch on the parked car when she stopped..so this bike may or may not have scratched the parked car..obviously there is no photographic proof (unless your friends vehicles cam has it). Seems to me the bike rider so far has avoided any liability. I would be just making a statement to the Police to that effect and let the bike owner sort it out with the owner of the parked car (who obviously own a dairy). Request your friend not to be shamed into this. Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Can only speak when BMW slightly hit me when I was turning.  Traffic Police and Insurance Adjuster are the only people who can assign fault.  If an agreement is not reached at the accident scene you can meet at the local Police Station to resolve the issue.  Stay Calm, Stay Polite and be prepared for the Thai to lie.   

My case called Insurance adjuster, he agreed BMW driver was at fault.  We both apologized, and left.

Side note he called a Police Friend who grabbed my arm firmly and I informed him the Tourist Police and my Thai Girlfriend would arrive any minute and I know how these things work.  Police said he was tired and going to get some sleep.

With 1st Class Insurance you call the company and rep will come to the scene and sort it out.

Three accidents so far and no hassle. One where a Honda Jazz was shunted into the back of my truck which was stopped in traffic. Cop came to move us to the side of the road then a Taxi driver appeared to say it was my fault.

Waited for everyones insurance rep to appear, everyone reported what happened to the reps. Taxi driver had moved on.

Also get a dash camera.

I had a minor accident in a restaurant parking lot, caused by the parking keeper (he manually pushed a pick-up truck parked in the second raw against my car, while I was exiting from my spot).

I called the insurance which arrived surprisingly quickly. The parking lot insurance showed up at the scene, and the police arrived too but didn't stay long. The parking keeper lied, but the evidence was such that that he was deemed responsible for the minor damage to the rear door.

I never saw that guy again and I am afraid he may have lost his job as a consequence of that minor accident.

Typical 2 hours after posting a reply I was in accident number 4.

Stopped and turned on hazards for a pedestrian who was in the middle of a zebra crossing. When they made it to the side I moved off, hearing a car horn I saw in the mirror a pick up two cars back swing into the near side lane, he then pulled into my lane clipping the wing and light on my car.

The traffic prevented him from moving on, so I got out and approached his open window. He just stared ahead, I spoke to him and he tried to move off, so I took his keys.

Wife called the insurance whilst I took a picture of him and his truck. Showed him the damage to wing and headlight and he offered to pay. We made him wait for the insurance rep.

Insurance rep took the details from me and the wife and a picture of my licence. Took details from pickup driver (did not see him photograph his licence). Claimed he swerved to avoid a car on his inside. He had no insurance and no money to pay, so the rep was going to take it to the police station.

It took 50 minutes from calling the insurance before we were on out way.

15 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why are you telling her all the time what she should do?

She seems to have a car and probably a license. I guess she also has a brain.

Did you consider letting her make her own decisions? 

Firstly, you don't know the girl or her personality, she was involved in her first minor prang, she immediately asked me and I replied, as friends do, and yes, she does have a brain, a car and a license, she requested my advice and I provided here with my input, females rely heavily on a males advice, especially in the even of an accident or making a decision.

At all times I did say to her, it's up to you, but she obviously appreciated my advice and followed through, hence the reason this clown is getting nothing.

If he accepted her 2,000 baht offer, later increased to 3,000 baht, he could have pocketed it, bought some polish and buffed it out as it's as long as a toothpick towards the bottom of his rear bumper, or bought some matching touch up paint, but no, he had to try to assert his authority over her and wanted 4,000 baht and her to apologise to his parents.

Well she has clearly won based on my advice, as the cops don't want to know about it, as the only caller said, you sort it out. Now if this clown wants to go further, she will advise me of it and take my further advice, because so far, it's cost her nothing, and she can at anytime put it through her insurer and pay the 5,000 baht excess, but that's not going to happen unless she doesn't want my advice anymore, because I will make sure the bike rider is brought into it, his pulling in front of her coming from behind and up her side and then into the kerb while she had her indicator on and pulling out, was reckless, so best case scenario, he can pay for the repairs, or half the costs.

But at the end of the day, as I have said to her, it's up to you, no, no, no, I will take your advice as it is sound and makes sense to me she has said. 

Life is negotiable, fair, well, depending on the situation, personally, I have let a bloke go after he bumped my car years ago, a scratch on the guard, he was in a pickle, gave me his license, and offered me money, I handed back his license and said next time be careful, he didn't know how to respond, I got in my car and left, but we are all different. 

Life's to short.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/16/2024 at 6:38 PM, 4MyEgo said:

the bike parked, but she tapped it as she pulled out of the kerb and the bike fell, with the bikes mirror scratching the back bumper of the other car,

I said, tell him you didn't hit their car, the illegally parked bike did

The bike was parked no more "illegally" than her car was.  She hit the parked, stationery bike causing it to fall and damage the other parked car.  As you suggested, get her insurer to sort out the damage that she caused.

On 8/16/2024 at 7:47 PM, KhunLA said:

Chances are she won't get the blame as causing.  MB's reckless driving caused it.

The bike was parked, she was moving her car and admitted to hitting it and knocking it over!  There was no "reckless driving" on the rider's part.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Haha 1

On 8/16/2024 at 8:17 PM, thesetat2013 said:

Since there is no injury and you are not the cause your insurance will probably tell him to FO. If you have video in the car use it.. Show the agent for the insurance claim. You are at fault.

"...you are not the cause..."

"You are at fault".

Both cannot be correct!

• Confused 1

On 8/17/2024 at 7:41 AM, tandor said:

Seems to me the bike rider so far has avoided any liability. I would be just making a statement to the Police to that effect and let the bike owner sort it out with the owner of the parked car

What liability does the owner of the parked bike have?  His parked bike was knocked into the parked car by the idiot woman driver of her moving car!

On 8/17/2024 at 8:32 AM, brianthainess said:

You should just have called the insurance company straight away and waited for their rep to come. IMO........................:coffee1:

And as said dash cams here are a necessity +  you get10% discount on your insurance.

Absolutely right, as the driver of the only moving vehicle involved, it's up to them to sort it out.

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I will make sure the bike rider is brought into it, his pulling in front of her coming from behind and up her side and then into the kerb while she had her indicator on and pulling out

What you posted originally suggests that she was stationery when the bike parked.  Then she started moving.

"she put her right indicator on to exit the kerb and a motorbike cut in front of her to park the bike between her car and the car in front of us, the bike parked, but she tapped it as she pulled out of the kerb..."

9 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Absolutely right, as the driver of the only moving vehicle involved, it's up to them to sort it out.

You don't have to be driving, I was parked and not even in my car, when somebody reversed at speed straight into the back of my car, the insurance guy came out on a Sunday mourning.