Immigration Implications Of Staying In Two Rooms Simultaneously

I've been renting in the same condo for three years and will continue to do so.  I'm also considering renting a room for one month in September in the same province but will be living in both places. I am concerned that this will complicate by annual extension of stay that I'll be doing in September and also complicate my 90 day reports.  My concern is  that the one month rental being the most recent will supercede my permanent address and cause problems.

So will this likely cause problems?

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Which immigration office do you deal with? 

Jomtien

Just now, Mason45 said:

There's a fair chance you won't have to supply any personal info apart from your hard earned cash for the one month room.

The owner/manager does online reporting and says she must report it to Immigration but she says the report form has a starting date and end date.

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Regarding 90 day report do that via mail or online.

Usually I just go to Soi 5 as it is extremely convenient for me.  Is there an advantage to doing by mail or online if you live close to Immigration

Thanksfor the input guys!

5 minutes ago, shortstop2 said:

Usually I just go to Soi 5 as it is extremely convenient for me.  Is there an advantage to doing by mail or online if you live close to Immigration

That office has habit of requiring a TM30 to almost enter that joint.

Suggest update your TM30 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, DrJack54 said:

That office has habit of requiring a TM30 to almost enter that joint.

Suggest update your TM30 

That is what concerns me.

Seems like you're saying that getting the other room for a month might be interperted by Jomty Immigrtion as overriding the TM 30 curreently stapled in my passport.    Having my landlord submit a second TM 30 would be problematic as he is currently not in Thailand.

Thanks for warning me about a possible pitfall.

18 minutes ago, shortstop2 said:

That is what concerns me.

Seems like you're saying that getting the other room for a month might be interperted by Jomty Immigrtion as overriding the TM 30 curreently stapled in my passport.    Having my landlord submit a second TM 30 would be problematic as he is currently not in Thailand.

Thanks for warning me about a possible pitfall.

If you just make sure the second landlord doesn't file a TM30, shouldn't you be fine?  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, shortstop2 said:

Seems like you're saying that getting the other room for a month might be interperted by Jomty Immigrtion as overriding the TM 30 curreently stapled in my passport

Do you have options with the "other room" 

Example ask them about TM30.

Some renters need this for eg folk on visa exempt looking for extension. 

You do not.

Skip the TM30. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, KhaoNiaw said:

If you just make sure the second landlord doesn't file a TM30, shouldn't you be fine?  

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Do you have options with the "other room" 

Example ask them about TM30.

Some renters need this for eg folk on visa exempt looking for extension. 

You do not.

Skip the TM30. 

The second landlord said she must file the TM30.  She said even though Immigration hasn't done onsite inspections this year, they did do it last year.  She wants to remain legal.

4 minutes ago, shortstop2 said:

The second landlord said she must file the TM30.  She said even though Immigration hasn't done onsite inspections this year, they did do it last year.  She wants to remain legal.

Fair enough. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, shortstop2 said:

It is legal not to file a TM30 if you don't live there - which you obviously don't, you rent the room for one month for whatever purpose but you live in the condo.

If the landlord doesn't feel comfortable with it, find someone else to sign the rental contract - you pay  the rent, of course. 

If you are not comfortable with this,  have the landlord file a TM30 and after 1 month file a TM30 in the condo again.

• Like 2

I'm trying to understand this.  Last August, I was in Bangkok for a few nights and I assume but don't know for sure, that the hotel filed an online TM30, maybe to a Bangkok office, maybe to a national database, don't know how it works.  I didn't encounter a problem with my 1 year extension of stay last September.

So the difference between this year and last year would be that last year was for 4 nights in Bangkok and this year 1 month in Chonburi province.  Would one scenario require the refiling of a TM30 but not the other?

Maybe I'll forget about the one month rental if it will impact my extensions of stay since my main landlord is out of the country and won't be able to file a TM30 for the second time.

If you will be living in the new place for a month. Then file your TM 30 for that place. After you leave and return to your home. File for there. Simple really. You may have 2 addresses but immigration only cares about the one where they can find you living in. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, shortstop2 said:

I'm trying to understand this.  Last August, I was in Bangkok for a few nights and I assume but don't know for sure, that the hotel filed an online TM30, maybe to a Bangkok office, maybe to a national database, don't know how it works.  I didn't encounter a problem with my 1 year extension of stay last September.

So the difference between this year and last year would be that last year was for 4 nights in Bangkok and this year 1 month in Chonburi province.  Would one scenario require the refiling of a TM30 but not the other?

Maybe I'll forget about the one-month rental if it will impact my extensions of stay since my main landlord is out of the country and won't be able to file a TM30 for the second time.

In order to prevent any issue, I ask my landlord to file a TM30 report right before I visit the Immigration for the 90 days report (usually a couple of weeks before). The TM30 report is filed online, therefore the landlord can do it also while staying abroad. He mails me a pdf to confirm he did it, and that's it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, shortstop2 said:

I've been renting in the same condo for three years and will continue to do so. 

Just continue with the TM30 for this place. If you've been there a long time the old TM30 should not need updating so the owner being out of country should not matter as you already have an existing TM30. Any short stays elsewhere when TM30's may have been entered will not matter. People who stay at home and go to a hotel for a while somewhere else don't have to do a new TM30 every time they come back home.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, shortstop2 said:

I am moving around the country regularly and never bother about a TM30. Main house is in Bangkok. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, ignore it said:

Don't tell as they won't ask and won't know.

Why self-sabotage?

13 hours ago, shortstop2 said:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

OP is just complicating matters by saying he 'lives' in both places when in reality he is just holidaying away from his registered address when he stays at the other room he rents for the month.

This is no different to anyone on a non-imm O extension that goes on holiday within Thailand during the year.

This is the correct answer. When immigration sees the new TM30 for the one month rental, you simply show them the lease agreement for one month and explain that you are on vacation in that place and will return to your full-time residence. As long as the TM30 on the full-time residence does not have an end date, which it should not, then they should have no issues with this.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, shortstop2 said:

Maybe I'll forget about the one month rental if it will impact my extensions of stay since my main landlord is out of the country and won't be able to file a TM30 for the second time.

You haven't said whereabout in Chonburi.

There are 2 offices in the province and if you go to the catchment area for the other office it may be seen in the same way as leaving the province.

There have been several adverse reports regarding Jomtien and difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff.

If you had been using the other office there certainly wouldn't be any problem. I had to do a 90 day yesterday in person and no issue with my 9 year old TM30.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, retarius said:

Simply don't tell immigration about the new address. 

18 hours ago, shortstop2 said:

• Like 1