Don’t kill the golden goose! Tax reforms may drive away expats

webfact

18 minutes ago, NedR69 said:

Less than a month and I'm out.  F this crap and all the snowflakes. If you leave too, start thinking now how to move your money OUT of a Thai bank.  Wise doesn't do that.  Dee money sucks, and many are still waiting for their transfer to process several weeks after initiating the transfer.  WU fee is ok, but their rate sucks.  Swift transfer may be the best option.  Plan now, if you have 800k or more to move out.

It's not just the new tax law, but it will be the last nail in the coffin and I'm not waiting around to find out. Even if it doesn't go thru, I've had it here to the point of deciding to go. 

Insanity...doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

I see better options that have clean air, safer to drive/travel/live, and equally affordable.

Less than a month, and counting!

So you are the golden goose they are referring to.

Do you think after one year you will be missed or even remembered?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

33 minutes ago, loong said:

I am quite sure that they didn't dream this up just to give us expats something to debate and moan about!
They just see it as easy pickings. It doesn't occur to them that wealthier expats may just leave and retire elsewhere.

Most of us already pay more tax than most Thais by VAT etc.

Many say that what expats contribute is negligible when compared to the bigger picture and it may be, but it is not negligible for the 1000's of families that we support and the knock-on effect.

Sounds almost like the tax logic used in California, now mass exodus to other states.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Why not tell them you have no bank accounts outside Thailand?

If they were to ask (unlikely).

Since 2023 they can see everything and can get all information they need,I think it's called OECD CRS ,Thailand joined last year.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

That's nonsense, no taxation without representation refers to one country being governed and taxed by another, that is not the case here. Everyone pays tax where ever they live and work, Thailand is no different. And there's no reason to expect benefits in Thailand which are driven by the Social Security system, to which expats don't pay (except those with work permits).

A country's GDP is the sum of all money spent or earned so yes, that 65k - 150k a month spent locally is a part of GDP, of which foreigner contributions are minimal.

What you say is non sense if it is as you say that we do not count for anything then why tax us also on our global income?

So they have surely calculated that there is a lot of $$$$ coming soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

So where do either your monthly transfer, or your living expenses come from please?

Pension into a Thai bank directly?

We had a reasonably well off UK pensioner pass away some time ago. Both his TW and Daughter (18yo attending university) get a percentage of his private pensions paid directly into their Thai Bank accounts. The TW is not a UK passport holder pays UK tax at 30% (flat rate), the Daughter gets the tax refunded as she has a passport but does not meet the UK tax threshold.

Are they going to get caught up in this crap?

Just now, newbee2022 said:

Seems Malaysia is a better option. But bad for those who want to stay their life shagging sluts in eg Pattaya.

Shagging sluts, eating Thai slop, Paying 500 bux for a chicken farm condo.

KL beats Bangkok/Pattaya on every point.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Why not tell them you have no bank accounts outside Thailand?

If they were to ask (unlikely).

Nobody cares if you have bank accounts outside Thailand.

Tax agreements are between governments, not between banks, so Thailand will know what you earn in your home country, and they don't in which bank that money goes

2 minutes ago, bdenner said:

We had a reasonably well off UK pensioner pass away some time ago. Both his TW and Daughter (18yo attending university) get a percentage of his private pensions paid directly into their Thai Bank accounts. The TW is not a UK passport holder pays UK tax at 30% (flat rate), the Daughter gets the tax refunded as she has a passport but does not meet the UK tax threshold.

Probably but if it does not reach UK tax threshold it may not reach the Thai tax threshold also

• Agree 1

Speculation can bring about otherwise unconsidered views into the debate, possibly the architect of a new regime.

From the OP.

"There is speculation on social media that annual stay extensions might soon require income tax clearance in Thailand. This rumor has not been confirmed by the Cabinet or immigration authorities and could create issues for long-term visa holders who spend less than six months per year in Thailand."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

Let him vent, ageism is the only ism left.

But aren't we glad we are Boomers, I would want to get old in 10  years..

Sorry to hear you are a boomer.... not many years left for ya !

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Currently, only income transferred into Thailand is taxed, with the new regulations set to take effect in January 2024.

Are we not past that date already?

Its a pity proof reading not carried out in a lot of these stories.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Andycoops said:

How the hell are they going to find out what your worldwide income is?

As a expat here.

If you have multiple bank accounts in multiple countries, like some people I know and you tell them you have 1 account in 1 country.

They have no way of knowing anything different.

Totally absurd.

They "could" require to see ones own tax return from home country. I have to file a 1040 each year which details all my income...private pension and social security, dividend and interest income, investment income, 401k and IRAs and any stock/fund sales. Everything. Unless one cheats on a tax return...it's all in there. 

1 hour ago, mikeymike100 said:

Absolutely, how on Earth will they, Thailand, find out how much money you have in another country, especially if you don't move it to Thailand?

Exactly, 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, bdenner said:

A Thai national living in Thailand is entitled to the £12,570 tax free allowance available to UK citizens. 0% tax on that amount then 20% up to about £50 k. There's some paperwork involved - isn't there always!! - but probably worth it if her inherited pension is a reasonable amount.

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/residence-domicile-and-remittance-basis/rdrm10340    (about halfway down the page)

Edited by MartinL

2 hours ago, Ironmike said:

I know that a lot of people will disagree with this but I don't give a crap,,, Thailand needs to get rid of these stupid old gready men in charge throw Taksin and his family back out of the country and elect a new government that is for their people not themselves,, it needs new blood new ideas and a new way forward,, yeah never going to happen. 

Especially with the current education system...the elite send their kids  to schools elsewhere and then they do favors for others in power positions, so that they can take care of their children too.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1