Bangkok Streets to Undergo Significant Improvements

snoop1130

So trying to get things ready for Formula 1 to visit and see if the streets are up to standards.

Maybe like Theppasit here in Pattaya it will start to crumble after 2 months.

The roads in Pattaya are bad after drain pipe install because either base layer is not correct material and compacted correctly or pipe may have a leak causing a cave in due to the material washing through the separated area.  

That is what an inspector is suppose to due perform inspection of the progress at different usually critical points to prevent potential premature failure of the repair.

Their never seems to be any consultants who make sure the job you've paid for is done correctly. Hence its just left up to the contractor to do it as they seem fit, and of course that's usually the cheapest option. Thats why the buildings, pavements & roadworks etc. don't last long before they need re-doing.  

• Agree 1

What a lot of nonsense! What a waste of money! Have these people never heard of Klimate Change?

In just a decade, Bangkok could be under water. Not all of it of course. Those living on the second floor and higher will be safe. But they have to get about. Do they not?

Better to invest the spare dosh in boats rafts and canoes. On another serious point. Why not lift up all the vulnerable buildings; say 3 metres? Like they do up here in the Isaan villages.

Also build a causeway between Pattaya and Hua Hin. Making sure those Chinese subs are on the right side of the construction, before the pumping begins.

Have to think more in a futuristic way in Thailand.

• Haha 1

Bangkok pavements are actually good. I know this will trigger many, but go say to The Mall Ngamwongwan, and walk from there back towards Bangkok. You'll know immediately when you left Nonthaburi and reached Bangkok. Obviously they are far from perfect, but compared to neighbouring province... it's day and night difference.

3 hours ago, new2here said:

I’ll say this.. I live in the Sathorn area and I brisk speed walk (as exercise) along Rajadamri Road from Rama 4 (ie Lumphini Park) up to Rama 1 (ie CTW) and the side walks there are perfect.. smooth, largely obstruction free, wide  and level ..  even on the major roads in my district - I’ve seen the city make pretty sizable improvements.. While I agree that it’s going to take time - lots of it .. and money - even more of it.. from my own perspective, it’s been a very good initial rollout 

Yeah, I live on Rajadamri.  One of the most walkable streets in Bangkok.  The did a pretty good job on Langsuan recently also.  They got rid of the ridiculous planters that narrowed the walkable sidewalk to one person at a time.  Hope that lasts.   

4 hours ago, watchcat said:

A beginning would be to remove at least 50% of the cars.

That would require lower prices and more trains at the BTS & MRT, so unfortunately it will never happen.

Who remembers the SEA Games in Winter 1998? That was the glorious moment, when the city of Bangkok "repaired" all the pavements on lower Sukhumvit  in record time and, you have to give them that, they did a sterling job. 

The pavements were beautiful, "pram proof" and a pure joy. Once the SEA games were over a few weeks later, the same city administration sent out the workers again to collect all the concrete blocks from the pavements and left an even worse disaster behind than before. So witnesses by me living on Sukhumvit Soi 6 near the Nana intersection. 

I asked for details in a "letter to the editors" of the Bangkok Post or The Nation and that's where the bucket stopped - for good - and nobody ever reacted on the issue. 

Somchai must have "rented out" concrete blocks for a month on a monthly basis as a friend of mine, living on Thonburi side, told me a carbon-copy story in 1999 in connection with a special occasion related to an anniversary of royals. Once the festive weeks were over = concrete blocks collected again 🙂 

16 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Yeah, sure it´s needed. It´s just the horrific amount of time all need to take to be done. After they are finish, the first street or pavement starting to crack. 😉 

Some parts of BK have holes in the footpath that have been there since I first came here in 2003, but there are many streets that have been upgraded, a massive task to fix all of BK, but most streets all over Thailand have the same problems .

Sewerage is the nasty one with smells coming up all over the country.

Edited by kiwikeith
add more
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

Some parts of BK have holes in the footpath that have been there since I first came here in 2003, but there are many streets that have been upgraded, a massive task to fix all of BK, but most streets all over Thailand have the same problems .

Sewerage is the nasty one with smells coming up all over the country.

Right! Also, there is no easy task to fix it all. On one side, you have the flooding every year, that moves everything around. On the other side, there are corruption and money in pockets, that together with ignorance and bad knowledge result in a sub-standard work.

Edited by Gottfrid

Again? 

Maybe the last "improvements" had only Thai standard and did not last longer than 2 years ... but I guess a few bank accounts will see some significant improvement soon. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Well, The pavements looked just like that in the photo when I first came to Bangkok, in 1980. I have heard, and read so many times from so many Mayors that the issue will be addressed as a matter of urgency. However, I will put money on them looking the same in the next 44 years.

Repairs will not have any meaning as long as the board walks in Thailand are used to support weights they are not calculated for.

Board walks are not designed as a motorcyle lane.
Board walks are not designed to support the weight and the dimensions of the many stall installed on them.

Hire an independant inspection team to control that board walks are not used for motorbikes, illegal parking space or stalls.
Allow the inspection team to fine the perpetrators and bring them to justice.

The fines will serve to pay the inspection team (ZERO COST) and the board walks will stay much longer in a good state.