Michelle Obama’s barnstorming speech makes case for Clinton and America

webfact

Michelle Obama’s barnstorming speech makes case for Clinton and America

606x341_339695.jpg

PHILADELPHIA: -- In a stirring address on the first day of the Democratic Party Convention, US First Lady Michelle Obama made an impassioned case for Hillary Clinton – and also for America.

Here are some excerpts from a speech that brought cheers, tears and laughter to the convention audience – and has won praise from critics around the world.

“That is the story of this country, the story that has brought me to this stage tonight, the story of generations of people who felt the lash of bondage, the shame of servitude, the sting of segregation, but who kept on striving and hoping and doing what needed to be done so that today I wake up every morning in a house that was built by slaves. And I watch my daughters, two beautiful, intelligent, black young women playing with their dogs on the White House lawn. And because of Hillary Clinton, my daughters and all our sons and daughters now take for granted that a woman can be president of the United States. So, look, so don’t let anyone ever tell you that this country isn’t great, that somehow we need to make it great again. Because this right now is the greatest country on earth.”

_“I will never forget that winter morning as I watched our girls, just seven and 10 years old, pile into those black SUVs with all those big men with guns. And I saw their little faces pressed up against the window, and the only thing I could think was, what have we done? See, because at that moment I realised that our time in the White House would form the foundation for who they would become. And make no mistake about it, this November when we go to the polls that is what we’re deciding, not Democrat or Republican, not left or right. No, in this election and every election is about who will have the power to shape our children for the next four or eight years of their lives.”
_

_“What I admire most about Hillary is that she never buckles under pressure. She never takes the easy way out. And Hillary Clinton has never quit on anything in her life.
And when I think about the kind of president that I want for my girls and all our children, that’s what I want.”_

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-07-27

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" the story that has brought me to this stage tonight, the story of generations of people who felt the lash of bondage, the shame of servitude, the sting of segregation "

This kind of diatribes that keep America still, very much polarized and full of haltered, the blacks can't just let it

go and move forward with their future , be it a drug dealer in Baltimore or the people in the white house,

it's much easier to blame the white folks for generations to come, and that's is why most blacks are wallowing

in their disdain and deep seeded mistrust of anyone who's not black....

" the story that has brought me to this stage tonight, the story of generations of people who felt the lash of bondage, the shame of servitude, the sting of segregation "

This kind of diatribes that keep America still, very much polarized and full of haltered, the blacks can't just let it

go and move forward with their future , be it a drug dealer in Baltimore or the people in the white house,

it's much easier to blame the white folks for generations to come, and that's is why most blacks are wallowing

Ezzra, correct me if I'm wrong as I'm making a bit of a guess here... but from the tenor of your previous posts, I'm assuming you're Jewish.

So my question to you is this; have you yourself successfully let go the massive, almost incomprehensible trials and tribulations your people suffered in just the last century alone? I would be very much amazed if you have.

Because if I was Jewish, and not just a country hick from the Bush of Australia, I would NEVER forget what the Jewish people have historically endured. And I would be ever vigilant to ensure that it never happens again, in any form or fashion.

Could I forgive? Possibly. Could I forget? Never. I would hazard the guess that it is a similar situation for the majority of African Americans today, whatever we as non-African Americans may think or say.

Whilst I don't know Michelle Obama's ancestry - is she claiming to be a descendant of slaves? If so, would she prefer if her ancestors had been left in Africa? Does she think her life would be better if they had?

There are no slave owners alive today. It's in the past, it's time to put it to bed and move forward, not use the issue to divide people.

Whilst I don't know Michelle Obama's ancestry - is she claiming to be a descendant of slaves? If so, would she prefer if her ancestors had been left in Africa? Does she think her life would be better if they had?

There are no slave owners alive today. It's in the past, it's time to put it to bed and move forward, not use the issue to divide people.

Yes...but keeping alive something that ended a century & a half ago is still key to keeping the powerful but self-loathing and guilt-ridden liberal white elites pandering to them

It's an amazing speech...very moving and well delivered...but I'm sick of the "race" mantra...in truth, Blacks are not discriminated against in the USA...they just are not...all the data indicates that Blacks are not discriminated against, and I've never met ANYONE who has discriminated against a Black individual...Blacks have a different experience in the USA on the whole, but this experience is explained (the data bear this out) by group differences in intelligence and an inability to delay immediate gratification...Blacks are quick to blame Whites for any misstep in life...so Michelle Obama went to Princeton, married a Harvard attorney, and lives in the White House...just imagine what she could have done without White people discriminating against her...

It's an amazing speech...very moving and well delivered...but I'm sick of the "race" mantra...in truth, Blacks are not discriminated against in the USA...they just are not...all the data indicates that Blacks are not discriminated against, and I've never met ANYONE who has discriminated against a Black individual...Blacks have a different experience in the USA on the whole, but this experience is explained (the data bear this out) by group differences in intelligence and an inability to delay immediate gratification...Blacks are quick to blame Whites for any misstep in life...so Michelle Obama went to Princeton, married a Harvard attorney, and lives in the White House...just imagine what she could have done without White people discriminating against her...

Wow, you've "never met ANYONE who has discriminated against a Black individual"....? Hmmm, hard to believe if you've spent any time in America. But there is at least one guy you know who has discriminated against black people....

http://www.politicususa.com/2016/07/25/nicholas-kristoff-exposes-ugly-racist-truth-donald-trump.html

WOW! You have never seen anyone discriminate against a black person!!!!!!!

I think this says more about you than about any black person.....where have you been for all your life? Living in white bread suburbia.....living around rich people....or not living in the USA at all.....or living in Idaho......or maybe you are 5 years old, that would explain a lot.......so racism and bigotry are figments of black's imaginations????? And if you talked to the Obamas they would be able to give examples of racism they have experienced in Chicago. Get a grip man, racism is alive and well in the USA, in the UK, in France, in Germany, etc. Why should the blacks forget their history.....they only just got the vote in our lifetimes, and the freedom to eat, travel, and live where they want to in the last sixty years. I would suggest you put your brain into gear before you pontificate about something you obviously have no knowledge......and where are these surveys you talk about?

I think this says more about you than about any black person.....where have you been for all your life? Living in white bread suburbia.....living around rich people....or not living in the USA at all.....or living in Idaho......or maybe you are 5 years old, that would explain a lot.......so racism and bigotry are figments of black's imaginations????? And if you talked to the Obamas they would be able to give examples of racism they have experienced in Chicago. Get a grip man, racism is alive and well in the USA, in the UK, in France, in Germany, etc. Why should the blacks forget their history.....they only just got the vote in our lifetimes, and the freedom to eat, travel, and live where they want to in the last sixty years. I would suggest you put your brain into gear before you pontificate about something you obviously have no knowledge......and where are these surveys you talk about?

Agreed, but I would go further. The USA is not the only first world country that suffers the soul-destroying effects of racism. Look at the UK post Brexit, and what can only be described as racist attacks some folk there have had to endure purely because of who they are. My country Australia is not immune from this BS either.

I have zero tolerance for racism, in all it various incarnations and forms. Racism is a cancer, it eats out the soul of our nations and diminishes all of us.

Agreed, but I would go further. The USA is not the only first world country that suffers the soul-destroying effects of racism. Look at the UK post Brexit, and what can only be described as racist attacks some folk there have had to endure purely because of who they are. My country Australia is not immune from this BS either.

I have zero tolerance for racism, in all it various incarnations and forms. Racism is a cancer, it eats out the soul of our nations and diminishes all of us.

The very content of the original post to which you're responding manifests racism in one of it's absolute forms of expression i.e.

"differences in intelligence and an inability to delay immediate gratification"..

Edited by simple1

I do agree with the fact that the race issue is being blown up too much recently. Some Blacks are also at fault for their own up bringing and environment they live in. With that said, they are still being discriminated, but perhaps not on the level that they think they are. But its still a big and rampant issue.

I'm of Asian decent and I studied in the USA, Indiana to be exact for 4 years, within that 4 years I've encounter racist white folks quite a bit. From mocking my group of friends when we spoke our own language, while the white folks spoke some gibberish japanese. Getting yelled at to go home and eat rice while walking on the street. To telling us to speak English at a restaurant...where after repetitive times ignoring them, a friend ask if they want to take it outside...which they gladly did and one of them in their group ran to their cars to grab a baseball bat - after their guy with a bat came and approach us, a friend in our group flashed the gun under his shirt (he is born and raised in America). The group of white folks quickly backed off and left.

So even as an Asian, I've encounter racist folks almost every year in my college life just for being Asian in a predominantly white community. With that said, the majority of the white folks are still the nicest and friendliest people to strangers as well....

I always chuckle if a person calls his or her country the greatest nation on earth. Same with this speech, the US has some very serious issues and it does not rank in the top 5 or top 10 on many fronts (northern European countries often do). No country can be the greatest and it certainly cannot be anywhere close if are not in the top on so many fronts.

As I don't care too much about the gender, etnicity, religion, family and so on of a candidate or any other person the talk about that was not bad but it doesn't really move me either. So... Nice speech but it would do 0,0 to get me motivated for Clinton.

Ezzra, correct me if I'm wrong as I'm making a bit of a guess here... but from the tenor of your previous posts, I'm assuming you're Jewish.

So my question to you is this; have you yourself successfully let go the massive, almost incomprehensible trials and tribulations your people suffered in just the last century alone? I would be very much amazed if you have.

Because if I was Jewish, and not just a country hick from the Bush of Australia, I would NEVER forget what the Jewish people have historically endured. And I would be ever vigilant to ensure that it never happens again, in any form or fashion.

Could I forgive? Possibly. Could I forget? Never. I would hazard the guess that it is a similar situation for the majority of African Americans today, whatever we as non-African Americans may think or say.

Your ire should be directed elsewhere :

The First Lady's speech was inspiring and uplifting and beautifully executed. Michelle Obama is quite a beautiful woman who speaks from the heart.

Her comments on being an African American woman resident in the White House built by African Slaves and watching her two young African American daughters playing on the White House lawn would have been a poignant moment and as an African woman descendent of slaves that were raped, brutalized, murdered and lynched the scene must have been surreal and reflection of her historical past would have been entirely natural. Her just being there is a triumph of the human spirit and that in the end good will win out over evil, greed and cruelty.

Endorsing Hillary and handing the care of American children to her is instinctively how women think and that will resonate with the women of America. The alternative is Melania a Slovak and lay about 'trophy wife'. Tough choice.

Just when you thought the republicans were doomed to many years of desperately trying to crawl back to a position to pitch an electable candidate, along comes Mrs Obama and kicks them back into the gutter. Say hello to the next but one POTUSA! It's a double whammy! Black and a woman, must be any absolute nightmare for all those Trump supporters.

Of course I am just pulling your chain guys but hey! watch this space...

Just when you thought the republicans were doomed to many years of desperately trying to crawl back to a position to pitch an electable candidate, along comes Mrs Obama and kicks them back into the gutter. Say hello to the next but one POTUSA! It's a double whammy! Black and a woman, must be any absolute nightmare for all those Trump supporters.

Of course I am just pulling your chain guys but hey! watch this space...

"Of course I am just pulling your chain guys but hey! watch this space..."

I wouldn't say you are pulling any chain at all. If you consider what kind of candidate the GOP has come up with this time (a petulant man child with small hands) who knows what kind of muppet they'll nominate next time. So it's not unlikely that Michelle Obama will be POTUS in the future.

And I am SO looking forward to the reaction of the teabaggers when eight years of HRC is followed by eight years of MO!clap2.gif

Your ire should be directed elsewhere :

And your point is... what? The fact that Africans were sold into bonded servitude by fellow Africans in no way mitigates the genocide-like disaster that slavery was and continues to be to this very day for some unfortunate individuals in some benighted parts of this world.

Slavery is, was and shall ever be an abomination and one of the gravest sins humankind can visit on their fellow humans. No matter who is performing the crime.

Good speech, she plays to her strengths - race, gender, children - what do you expect her to do, play to her weaknesses.

Race and gender are not strengths. We have no control over them. We are simply born with them.

As for children, there is nothing special about having them.

So in effect, apart from her being completely ordinary, there was nothing exceptional about the speech that was written for her?

The First Lady's speech was inspiring and uplifting and beautifully executed. Michelle Obama is quite a beautiful woman who speaks from the heart.

Her comments on being an African American woman resident in the White House built by African Slaves and watching her two young African American daughters playing on the White House lawn would have been a poignant moment and as an African woman descendent of slaves that were raped, brutalized, murdered and lynched the scene must have been surreal and reflection of her historical past would have been entirely natural. Her just being there is a triumph of the human spirit and that in the end good will win out over evil, greed and cruelty.

Endorsing Hillary and handing the care of American children to her is instinctively how women think and that will resonate with the women of America. The alternative is Melania a Slovak and lay about 'trophy wife'. Tough choice.

Ha.

Ignorance is no excuse. You have to look back 8 years ago, how she hated being American.

Read between the lines.

The Obamas could have done something to bring America together, but they did absolutely nothing.

I don't know why anyone would applaud either.

Edited by slipperylobster

Ha.

Ignorance is no excuse. You have to look back 8 years ago, how she hated being American.

Read between the lines.

The Obamas could have done something to bring America together, but they did absolutely nothing.

In terms of bringing people together, It would have been preferable if they just "did nothing" , Unfortunately it seemed almost a conscience effort at times to do the opposite

Edited by NovaBlue05

Ha.

Read between the lines.

Right wing nonsense. The far right has been attacking the President since day one and are the root cause of the divisiveness in America today.

I don't think so Briggsy. The political dynamics on day one was Michelle resonates with women particularly mothers and also African American women. She did it beautifully. It was up to Bernie to extend the bridge for his supporters to walk across and fight the good fight against the racist, bigoted pig ignorant Republicans. Warren was really the 'whip' in revealing Trump for what he is divisive spiteful and just plain nasty and hateful and that he is simply not qualified for the rigours of the highest Office.

Today Bill smooth talked the Nation he added 'the girl next door' persona to Hillary. Young love and romance but a strong woman and did it with humility and humour. Wouldn't surprise me if a large percentage US women began ovulating on hearing his speech today. Women just eat that stuff up.

Democrats have something to sell. A better deal a united Nation a share in prosperity a message to women and young girls a better kinder America Healthcare, education and unity.

Republicans a flogging fear, hatred, racism a Nation divided, tax cuts for the wealthy, more war and destruction and cruelty.