Filthy litterers slammed by locals in Chiang Mai as ignored sign says it all!

webfact

Filthy litterers slammed by locals in Chiang Mai as ignored sign says it all!

4pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

CHIANG MAI: -- A sign on a roadside says it all about the flagrant disregard for the law about littering.

The sign in our picture says: "Absolutely no littering or burning of rubbish in this area - or else. Offenders will be fined 2,000 baht".

But despite the sign there is a 100 meter stretch of stinking rubbish all along the road. There is everything from plastic bags to discarded toilets, foam to masonry, reported Daily News.

Now the exasperated locals in Nong Hoi and Tha Sala sub-districts of Muang district, Chiang Mai are demanding action.

Nong Hoi spokesperson Bonkot Benmart said that their authority had put up the sign and were doing their best to stop the littering but to no avail.

People just turned up at night to add more rubbish to the stinking mess.

Bonkot said that the matter had now been passed up the chain of command to Chiang Mai city authorities to get some help to stop the littering.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-03-29

4 minutes ago, BigBadGeordie said:

Not a local, but a national issue.

Yes there is exactly the same problem down here in Pattaya /Jomtien

where are the official dumping sites that the government has set up  in carefully selected areas with  hazardous waste precautions and recycling facilities ?

Install night vision cams as i seem to see cameras everywhere here...get the tag # of the dumpers and go get em.....or just put a sleeping security guard

Or even the FAKE cameras or signs that let them THINK they are being recorded!

Gotta name and shame here it seems....just ask the mbike lady at gas station :passifier:

6 minutes ago, Sphere said:

Shirley, a foreigner will come along shortly to clean it up and "shame" the Thai. :coffee1:

...and all the netizens will get excited on their keyboards. and do absolutely nothing else because that would require effort.

I'm not sure what the situation is in Thailand but in many countries low risk prisoner work gangs go out and clean up this garbage and probably recycle it, if I had the choice of sitting in a cockroach infested sell with a hundred blokes all day or collecting and sorting garbage I think I'd choose the garbage, and there's a fair chance that you'd pick up a better feed than you are getting inside.

1 hour ago, johng said:

Yes there is exactly the same problem down here in Pattaya /Jomtien

where are the official dumping sites that the government has set up  in carefully selected areas with  hazardous waste precautions and recycling facilities ?

Probably worse in Jomtien. And least they wait until night up there. If you go to Soi 9 Thepprasit from about 3pm onwards truck after truck shamelessly dumps truckload after truckload.

if I was in in charge I would wait for them to show up, catch them in the act and then make them clean it. It is their bloody mess. If they refused, take ther truck from them.

They only put those signs up AFTER it is mess. It is their solution to look like they are actually doing something. Which they don't. 

34 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

3rd point--what about a spirit house--would they DARE upset the DEAD!!!!!???

That has always perplexed me.

They spend a fortune on those things, and then on maintaining them, but then they dump them in a pile of rubbish.

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, Philthyphil said:

That has always perplexed me.

They spend a fortune on those things, and then on maintaining them, but then they dump them in a pile of rubbish.

image.jpeg

They're all old models. Very low so now. The latest one is a 'Spirit house 7S or 7S+' 

2 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

Install night vision cams as i seem to see cameras everywhere here...get the tag # of the dumpers and go get em.....or just put a sleeping security guard

Or even the FAKE cameras or signs that let them THINK they are being recorded!

Gotta name and shame here it seems....just ask the mbike lady at gas station :passifier:

Excellent ideas, the fly tipping sites will certainly proliferate 

On the bright side we wont have to travel so far to take advantage of one

3 hours ago, samsensam said:

...and all the netizens will get excited on their keyboards. and do absolutely nothing else because that would require effort.

... yessir, an (in that light) even more ridiculous corresponding description i just read on here was netWORKERS ...!  :cheesy: 

So? There is exactly the same sort of rubbish dump and sign in Sattahip. TIT. My visiting son's  Swiss wife was amazed at the rubbish. Driving to Bangkok we passed a new motorway Rest Area. Rubbish scattered everywhere. Even if no bins are available people should take it home and dispose of it there.

Can anyone think of any instance of Thais doing what a sign tells them to do?

The problem in Thailand, and everywhere else, is that laws that are not enforced are not obeyed, no matter how many signs are posted.

If they want people to stop dumping, stop burning, start wearing helmets, stop driving drunk, stop taking bribes, etc., they'll have to do more than post signs.

This goes back to Sir Kenneth Newman's adoption of the broken-window theory about urban decay in the U.K.

Community police officers were encouraged to report and follow up signs of the start of the downhill state of an area by getting local authorities and community associations to make repairs and improvements.

The theory was that if you nipped this in the bud, then people could retain pride in their area and stop further damage. Unfortunately, spending cuts and other priorities have stopped most of this activity there.

In Thailand, the essential elements of a motivated and caring police force, efficient and responsive local authorities and communities who care for each other rather than only themselves are more or less completely absent, so nothing's going to change soon.

9 hours ago, rkidlad said:

They're all old models. Very low so now. The latest one is a 'Spirit house 7S or 7S+' 

I thought those were to be dumped by holy banyan trees

I gotta say as superstitious as thais are thats a surprising pic!

OK my NEXT idea--how about a big pic of the Late KING---rest in peace

If that didnt work with the spirit houses --maybe chip in for the night vision cams

OH --AND LASTLY---its a DIRTY job but just tonite i saw a security guard

and a old lady near my room digging thru trash today--everyday people!

Point being the TRASH itself cold lead BACK to the perp--paperwork-mail-etc

11 hours ago, Sphere said:

Shirley, a foreigner will come along shortly to clean it up and "shame" the Thai. :coffee1:

There are 2 blue cans in front of my apt--i have gotten out there with the

broom as too many ppl pile sh*t in there and the damn holy dogs get into it

so theres crap laying all over the next days--but glad to have the cans i guess..