Football fiasco: Two Britons, Thai accused of Premier League piracy

20 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Buy yourself an Android box, instead of moving your PC around, and install Kodi on it. Plenty of decent cricket streams on Kodi.

By the way, if you don't like Kodi, with such an Android box you can do the same as your pc to connect to websites.

Thanks vm. I'm a bit of a tech dinasour but I have just paid for a MINX box with 365 (as I mentioned). This was because I used to use a phone line to stream Expat TV to my desk top computer, but have moved house and only have Wi-Fi - hence the set top box.  Will this be OK for this Kodi you mentioned. (I haven't looked at the web site yet).  :smile:

Thanks again.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, emilymat said:

Thanks vm. I'm a bit of a tech dinasour but I have just paid for a MINX box with 365 (as I mentioned). This was because I used to use a phone line to stream Expat TV to my desk top computer, but have moved house and only have Wi-Fi - hence the set top box.  Will this be OK for this Kodi you mentioned. (I haven't looked at the web site yet).  :smile:

Thanks again.

Minix is an Android set top box that can be used to install Kodi.

It depends on which Minix you have which version of Kodi you can install, and if it will work properly.

Do you know which model of box you have?

9 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Minix is an Android set top box that can be used to install Kodi.

It depends on which Minix you have which version of Kodi you can install, and if it will work properly.

Do you know which model of box you have?

NEO X6  That's what's on the box in which it came. Is that the 'model' It also has H.265 HEVC 1080p  Thanks

1 minute ago, emilymat said:

NEO X6  That's what's on the box in which it came. Is that the 'model' It also has H.265 HEVC 1080p  Thanks

I was afraid that woul of course use the cheapest Minix box available.

Neo X6 has 1Gb Ram and Android 4.4.2 installed.

The 1Gb ram means that you will be able to install Kodi with limited amount of addons. If you are only interested in the cricket as you say, that would be fine, but if you gonna install a complete build your box will be prone to crashes as it runs out of memory.

The Android 4.4.2 means that you can install Kodi 16.1, but will not be able to update to the current version which is 17.1.

Kodi 16.1 still works fine for now, but in the future you will have to get a box with better spec.

4 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

The 1Gb ram means that you will be able to install Kodi with limited amount of addons. If you are only interested in the cricket as you say, that would be fine, but if you gonna install a complete build your box will be prone to crashes as it runs out of memory.

The Android 4.4.2 means that you can install Kodi 16.1, but will not be able to update to the current version which is 17.1.

Kodi 16.1 still works fine for now, but in the future you will have to get a box with better spec.

Many thanks for that info. I'll see what I can do. In the meantime, at least I have the radio on BBC and about 600 video films - together with 25 VHS ones!. Told you I'm a dinosaur.   :smile:

3 minutes ago, emilymat said:

Many thanks for that info. I'll see what I can do. In the meantime, at least I have the radio on BBC and about 600 video films - together with 25 VHS ones!. Told you I'm a dinosaur.   :smile:

You can just install some Android apps like Mobdro and UKtvnow from he websites, or Solid Streamz and PTV sports from the playstore, and you will have your UK tv and cricket.

12 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

How do you know all this stuff!!??

I also have a Minix box and there is a KODO icon on the "homepage"......but I don't have a clue what to do with it

Any "KODI for Dummies" website you can point me to?

1 minute ago, Kevin2012 said:

I also have a Minix box and there is a KODO icon on the "homepage"......but I don't have a clue what to do with it

Enter Kodi in youtube

So surprised to see so many who moved halfway across the world, still being a couch potato in a country where there is so much to do and that is not counting the sex side.

Football the most overrated and overpriced game in the world. Who was it who said "Little thing please little minds" whoever it was he may be right on this one.

So surprised to see so many who moved halfway across the world, still being a couch potato in a country where there is so much to do and that is not counting the sex side.

Football the most overrated and overpriced game in the world. Who was it who said "Little thing please little minds" whoever it was he may be right on this one.

Some of us are just working here and need some western culture/sport to relax after a long day in the office. After 13 years here, there really isn't much left to do.

UKTV has now voluntarily closed themselves down "for now" to avoid going to jail like the ExpatTV guys. What I struggle to understand is why something like the BBC and ITV etc should be unavailable through IPTV when it isn't available from the 'official' source. What are those channels losing by having people watch them from overseas?

14 hours ago, Kevin2012 said:

https://www.tvaddons.ag/kodi-addons-dummies/

is just one site.... But note - on a old Android box you cannot add Kodi 17.1 'krypton'  so you would need to see what Android you are running and install that Kodi..     It is sad that people just buy a box and have no idea, not at all sure that most Seller have any idea either.....  Android 6 'Marshmallow' is now running on newer boxes, got mine over 6 months ago...  Likewise Kodi 18. is in Beta = the full version will up and running soon guess as 18.1...........  Above Kodi 16.1 the box need to be 2Gb ram or above

54 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

UKTV has now voluntarily closed themselves down "for now" to avoid going to jail like the ExpatTV guys. What I struggle to understand is why something like the BBC and ITV etc should be unavailable through IPTV when it isn't available from the 'official' source. What are those channels losing by having people watch them from overseas?

Think you hit the nail on the head, people subscribed to thai expat tv as it was a service not being provided anywhere else, The fact people actually paid for it would demonstrate they were not out to  steal from anyone (well, in principle anyway) as opposed to totally free options being discussed on here.So there is an obvious market.

1 minute ago, sungod said:

The fact people actually paid for it would demonstrate they were not out to  steal from anyone (well, in principle anyway) as opposed to totally free options being discussed on here.

Now that is a twist I've not heard before.

So people who pay thieves for stolen goods, because they don't know or are to lazy to do it themselves, have no intention to steal from anyone?

Good one 5555

9 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

So people who pay thieves for stolen goods, because they don't know or are to lazy to do it themselves, have no intention to steal from anyone?

Good one 5555

Change the record, not everyone shares your expertise.

My wife really enjoyed expat and she is anything but 'lazy'.

19 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Good one 5555

Dont remember say that, Only twist here buddy is your words :)

The post was about people happy to pay for an official service if only it was available, supply, demand and all of that.

Besides, my 3 year old son could find his way around expat tv well, its not surprising he is finding the finer points of kodi a little more challenging.

However in your holier-than-thou eyes we are all crooks......:)

21 hours ago, Nomad97 said:

Last year the 199 baht/month was openly advertised in their shop in Big C (Surin) and they were happy to give the package to me. I think I had to buy a new SIM card for my smart phone which is a dual SIM phone anyway,  For convenience, my wife signed the 1 year contract/paperwork as the paperwork was in Thai. They took a copy of her ID card.  Previously, I have opened a phone account in my own name with AIS using my passport. I do have a Yellow House Book so I guess I could have signed up in my own right if I had been asked.  I really do not know if  Farangs can open an account with True or whether it is limited to Thais only.   

Why do so many on ThaiVisa.com assume that every expat living here is a man and that every newly arrived foreigner planning to stay here long-term must immediately find a Thai woman to act as a seeing eye dog for him?  Some of us are women on their own or expat/expat couples.  

Of course foreigners with long-term visas (like retirement or a work permit) can get the deal that Nomad97 described.  

Some of us have taken the time to learn the speak, read and write the Thai language.  Learning to read, in particular, has opened up a host of opportunities for us as I've discovered special deals and promotions advertised only in the Thai language.

On the subject of the likes of ThaiExpatTV and 365Sport and in a similar vein, I started investigating Pulse TV and I downloaded their programme from which one can select what one wants to watch.

At one time my antivirus wouldn't let me download it, but I eventually succeeded after assurances from their support team that everything was okay, however experienced a lot of problems and in trying to clear those up I seem to have completely stuffed up my computer (won't go into details, but it's fixed now).

My question is, is this a bona fide site or is it likely to go the way of the others? Any information would be most welcome. 

29 minutes ago, xylophone said:

On the subject of the likes of ThaiExpatTV and 365Sport and in a similar vein, I started investigating Pulse TV and I downloaded their programme from which one can select what one wants to watch.

At one time my antivirus wouldn't let me download it, but I eventually succeeded after assurances from their support team that everything was okay, however experienced a lot of problems and in trying to clear those up I seem to have completely stuffed up my computer (won't go into details, but it's fixed now).

My question is, is this a bona fide site or is it likely to go the way of the others? Any information would be most welcome. 

A new topic has been started pointing out the guidelines for the discussions.

37 minutes ago, xylophone said:

With all respects, but I think you can figure that out by yourself.

Hint : It costs you 30 GBP ( or more)  a month for a Sky subscription in the UK, and here in Thailand you get that same subscription for 5 GBP, with on top subscriptions to a few other broadcasters thrown in.

With all respects, but I think you can figure that out by yourself.

Hint : It costs you 30 GBP ( or more)  a month for a Sky subscription in the UK, and here in Thailand you get that same subscription for 5 GBP, with on top subscriptions to a few other broadcasters thrown in.

PulseTV costs rather more than that!

On 5/16/2017 at 3:09 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

I've never had that problem and I'm watching Sky News now. There is a five minute delay which prevents buffering.

The watching earlier programmes thing isn't accurate since BST was introduced, but you can click along the timeline at the bottom of the screen in the general area and once you find the programme you're looking for double left click to get to the beginning. I've been using it to watch Masterchef on BBC the day after it was shown overnight Thai time. Sometimes I've watched the playback and sometimes I've recorded it. Can't see a way to record in advance though.

Try http://eu.api.filmon.com

You have to set up an account and can only record 1 hour at a time, no football as far as I am aware but great for recording Dr Who, Have I Got News For You, Antiques Roadshow & MasterChef etc etc.

It has all the UK channels and plenty of foreign ones. It used to allow you to record 10 hours, but people started taking the piss with multiple accounts etc and you can no longer download to your PC, but it's a good service nonetheless.  

3 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Try http://eu.api.filmon.com

You have to set up an account and can only record 1 hour at a time, no football as far as I am aware but great for recording Dr Who, Have I Got News For You, Antiques Roadshow & MasterChef etc etc.

It has all the UK channels and plenty of foreign ones. It used to allow you to record 10 hours, but people started taking the piss with multiple accounts etc and you can no longer download to your PC, but it's a good service nonetheless.  

But not free, is it?

2 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

But not free, is it?

Yes it is, the 1 hour recording is free, if you want to watch live TV (which was free until just recently) or have additional recording time you have to pay for that, it seems that the content providers are unhappy with their content being touted freely by someone else.

Can't help but wonder if this will be shut down too, although it seems that only the EPL has made any protests so perhaps not. That's why I'm a little surprised that UKTV has pulled the plug when they had no sport, but perhaps they just don't want to take any chances.

8 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Can't help but wonder if this will be shut down too, although it seems that only the EPL has made any protests so perhaps not. That's why I'm a little surprised that UKTV has pulled the plug when they had no sport, but perhaps they just don't want to take any chances.

Filmon is a legit company, hence why it cost quite a few bucks to subscribe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FilmOn