Denmark Embassy Has Stopped Doing Pension Letters

If these embassies think these actions are going to pressure Thai Immigration into changing their ways, they are mistaken. I have never seen Thais budge an inch when faced with intimidation. It's a face thing. They would happily let expats leave for the Philippines and hope for more tourism from China.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

If these embassies think these actions are going to pressure Thai Immigration into changing their ways, they are mistaken. I have never seen Thais budge an inch when faced with intimidation. It's a face thing. They would happily let expats leave for the Philippines and hope for more tourism from China.

These recent developments affect the single expats much more so than the married men.

Married men have 'a get out of jail' card, because as a last resort they can always obtain the Non Imm O ME Visa at Savannakhet (no proof of funds) to facilitate their long term stay in Thailand.

For the single expats it's a different matter, they have the 'do not pass go, do not collect 200' card.

Not many alternative options.

If no new directive confirming new income requirements are forthcoming from Immigration, then some may be forced to leave.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

These recent developments affect the single expats much more so than the married men.

Married men have 'a get out of jail' card, because as a last resort they can always obtain the Non Imm O ME Visa at Savannakhet (no proof of funds) to facilitate their long term stay in Thailand.

For the single expats it's a different matter, they have the 'do not pass go, do not collect 200' card.

Not many alternative options.

If no new directive confirming new income requirements are forthcoming from Immigration, then some may be forced to leave.

So I should seek the Non Imm O ME Visa at Savannakhet? That may solve a few of my problems. I can tighten my belt to handle my debt crisis and my fiancee is willing to help by doing everything she can. I can easily prove funds of 40 thousand baht, assuming I can stop the transfer of my funds from Bangkok Bank to my credit union. I got my Non-O at Vientiane and they were very lax on the "proof of funds" thing. I had my letter, but had to show them some American documents which seemed to satisfy them. Good advice, so far.

2 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

So I should seek the Non Imm O ME Visa at Savannakhet? That may solve a few of my problems. I can tighten my belt to handle my debt crisis and my fiancee is willing to help by doing everything she can. I can easily prove funds of 40 thousand baht, assuming I can stop the transfer of my funds from Bangkok Bank to my credit union. I got my Non-O at Vientiane and they were very lax on the "proof of funds" thing. I had my letter, but had to show them some American documents which seemed to satisfy them. Good advice, so far.

I don't think you can get a non O on the basis of marriage if you only have a fiancee, so was the non O you got in Vientiane on the basis of being over 50?

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

What use is that if your not married and it's less than 40K baht a month anyway.

Then use the combination method if they preserve that.

For example, 30k monthly income x 12 is 360K.

Fund a seasoned Thai bank account of at least 440K.

Sorted.

The "use" would mean you wouldn't need to have an 800K account. It could be less.

Edited by Jingthing

22 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Let's think clearly about this, shall we?

If the embassy letters go away (for some, already has) then the status quo is income applications are impossible because they require the embassy letters.

If you have an embassy letter today, the combination method still stands.

They are basically different flavors of the same thing as both are income methods.

At this point, we've got basically NOTHING from Thai immigration about what their plan is going to be (if anything) to accommodate people without embassy letters for income methods, and that includes combination method applications.

Jomtien immigration chief has told people directly there will be no income applications accepted next year AT ALL (obviously included combos) from any nationality and that includes people with letters they thought were good for six months. So Danes maybe don't feel so lonely. 

Of course Jomtien (and others) may change their tune if they get a clear directive from the central government. Hopefully so! 

So hold your horses. 

that is a bombshell dropped, will make a lot of people tear off their hair, agents will be busy

wbr roobaa01

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

If the embassy letters go away (for some, already has) then the status quo is income applications are impossible because they require the embassy letters.

They are basically different flavors of the same thing as both are income methods.

At this point, we've got basically NOTHING from Thai immigration about what their plan is going to be (if anything) to accommodate people without embassy letters for income methods, and that includes combination method applications.

Jomtien immigration chief has told people directly there will be no income applications accepted next year AT ALL (obviously included combos) from any nationality and that includes people with letters they thought were good for six months. So Danes maybe don't feel so lonely. 

Of course Jomtien (and others) may change their tune if they get a clear directive from the central government. Hopefully so! 

So hold your horses. 

That has also been stated at my immigration office and there are several posts saying the same of other immigration offices. As immigration caused this and now have to deal with it, they will choose the easiest way.  That could well be 'money in the bank' as the only option.  We'll see!

4 minutes ago, HHTel said:

That has also been stated at my immigration office and there are several posts saying the same of other immigration offices. As immigration caused this and now have to deal with it, they will choose the easiest way.  That could well be 'money in the bank' as the only option.  We'll see!

I think that money in a Thai Bank is the only option.

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Let's stop confusing the issue by stating the current position and the future conditions.

We all know the current options, so let's keep to possible options for the future.

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

So what have you done about their stance.

2 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Let's stop confusing the issue by stating the current position and the future conditions.

We all know the current options, so let's keep to possible options for the future.

So what have you done about their stance.

Me? Nothing. I've been using the 800K bank method. I was planning on switching to the combo method but that's on hold now and perhaps forever.

Or were you suggesting I start a protest march or something? ????

15 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Where did this come from ? A statement, quote, 2nd hand information ?

19 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Where did this come from ? A statement, quote, 2nd hand information ?

Apparently straight from the horses mouth.

Or maybe the Ass's mouth, the big one, in charge at Jomtien.

A few expats have reported the same, but as of yet, there are no reports of anyone making a complaint.

Apparently straight from the horses mouth.
Or maybe the Ass's mouth, the big one, in charge at Jomtien.
A few expats have reported the same, but as of yet, there are no reports of anyone making a complaint.
Complaint to whom? About what? Thai immigration makes and enforces the rules. We try to follow them and if we can't we suffer the consequences.
Its not like buying a defective vacuum cleaner.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Complaint to whom? About what?

Not following the Directive that Embassy Income letters are valid for 6 months.

Immigration directive for income letters.pdf

Well I know where I'd start with my complaint, then take it through the chain of command.

Alternatively, do nothing and perhaps have up to 4 weeks to pack your bags and leave.

18 hours ago, The Truth said:

Well, your friend should have no difficulty whatsoever depositing the 800k in a Thai bank account, should he?

He's free to take a stand on a point of principle but they'll just refuse his extension and he can go elsewhere.

More of the same from another, why bother?I,m guessing you don’t qualify either

On 11/16/2018 at 11:06 PM, Psychic said:

Sadly, I think the average Thai actually does want us here.

The owner of the local shop that I go to so often that the wife calls her "my girlfriend" wouldn't be happy if I left.

The guy I pay to take care of the garden and share a beer with afterwards doesn't want me to leave.

Likewise the family run restaurant we visit for some noodle soup and a beer.

The Thais I paid to build our house, the local suppliers of building materials, big shops like Thai Watsadu who got at least 3 million in revenue.

Nissan Thailand who I bought my truck from.

I could go on.

None of these people or entities want me, or people like me, to leave Thailand.

While we may not be the preferred high spenders that the Bangkok elite desire we continually pump money into the local economy.

Do you know how much these people will gain from high end tourists or the Chinese bus riders.

Precisely zero.

I get all the arguments about the near destitute farangs that will burden the system.

But this is an incredibly small percentage of expats.

Most of us are financially independent though not wealthy.

We contribute much more to local economies than we will ever take out of them.

We pay for education of Thai children.

And on the whole we add to the Thai economy without burdening it.

I am not sure where this push to make it more difficult for long stay farangs is coming from.

I read TV almost daily and I don't see any kind of crime wave from retirees and married farangs.

Maybe there are multiple unreported incidents of bad behaviour I am not aware of.

Maybe it's a kind if racist xenophobia, certainly the pictures I see of black people targeted by Immigration suggests that. But maybe there are a lot of African criminals here.

Certainly there doesn't seem to be a problem with a million Burmese/Cambodian/Lao people here who, almost certainly, beyond providing cheap labor contribute far less to the Thai economy than western expats.

As always I am confused by policy decisions here.

My friend who lives well, has 3 golf memberships, lives in a 15 million baht condo relies on an income statement.

He probably spends less than 65000 every month.

Last year he bought a new SUV for about 1.5 million.

He is fully capable of putting 800K in the bank but chooses to earn about 80K abroad.

Do you really want to put an individual like that in a position where he cannot extend his visa by any recognised means because his embassy pulls off the immediate withdrawal of income letters he has used for the last 18 years?

That's what you want to do to a 78 year old man who has poured 10's of millions of baht into the Thai economy?

Lots of bananas here.

????

While we may not be the preferred high spenders that the Bangkok elite desire we continually pump money into the local economy." Spot on !!  Every word You state is so true !

• Like 1

On 11/16/2018 at 11:06 PM, Psychic said:

Sadly, I think the average Thai actually does want us here.

The owner of the local shop that I go to so often that the wife calls her "my girlfriend" wouldn't be happy if I left.

The guy I pay to take care of the garden and share a beer with afterwards doesn't want me to leave.

Likewise the family run restaurant we visit for some noodle soup and a beer.

The Thais I paid to build our house, the local suppliers of building materials, big shops like Thai Watsadu who got at least 3 million in revenue.

Nissan Thailand who I bought my truck from.

I could go on.

None of these people or entities want me, or people like me, to leave Thailand.

While we may not be the preferred high spenders that the Bangkok elite desire we continually pump money into the local economy.

Do you know how much these people will gain from high end tourists or the Chinese bus riders.

Precisely zero.

I get all the arguments about the near destitute farangs that will burden the system.

But this is an incredibly small percentage of expats.

Most of us are financially independent though not wealthy.

We contribute much more to local economies than we will ever take out of them.

We pay for education of Thai children.

And on the whole we add to the Thai economy without burdening it.

I am not sure where this push to make it more difficult for long stay farangs is coming from.

I read TV almost daily and I don't see any kind of crime wave from retirees and married farangs.

Maybe there are multiple unreported incidents of bad behaviour I am not aware of.

Maybe it's a kind if racist xenophobia, certainly the pictures I see of black people targeted by Immigration suggests that. But maybe there are a lot of African criminals here.

Certainly there doesn't seem to be a problem with a million Burmese/Cambodian/Lao people here who, almost certainly, beyond providing cheap labor contribute far less to the Thai economy than western expats.

As always I am confused by policy decisions here.

My friend who lives well, has 3 golf memberships, lives in a 15 million baht condo relies on an income statement.

He probably spends less than 65000 every month.

Last year he bought a new SUV for about 1.5 million.

He is fully capable of putting 800K in the bank but chooses to earn about 80K abroad.

Do you really want to put an individual like that in a position where he cannot extend his visa by any recognised means because his embassy pulls off the immediate withdrawal of income letters he has used for the last 18 years?

That's what you want to do to a 78 year old man who has poured 10's of millions of baht into the Thai economy?

Lots of bananas here.

????

sorry i'm confused, which is it, he has the money but too much of a 'big face' to deposit it or he doesn't have it?

he certainly has a recognised means to stay if he does.

he'll just have to get over himself to sort it.

Edited by GeorgeCross
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am off next week to my immigrating office for 90 day report. I will,  if the opportunity arises delicately touch on when I may apply for my extension of stay renewal, which is due 29.1.2019. Whatever he/she says I will most definitely be going for the 2018 option if available.

I am also in the throes of getting a proof of income letter from the BE. 

Sadly, a small pension I get was looking good for a lump sum settlement which I would have taken however small, but that hasn't materialised. 

Will have to cut down on the beer / whiskey for 9 months.