All Western all the time?

YogiRit

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I see a western lifestyle as putting money before all else and obsessing over health care.

Not much to do with what you eat .... in the UK I usually ate, Mexican, Chinese, Indian and a few Doner Kebabs for a change (so nearly always something with rice).

But you didnt eat something with rice/noodles three times a day , everyday , like Thais do in Thailand and what you would have to do , if you stuck to local food

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, YogiRit said:

Ok, my question seem to have been bait for humour, nastiness, sarcasm and maybe a sincere post.
Not sure what to think of Chiang Mai. Still.

What sort of lifestyle do you want? 

34 minutes ago, donnacha said:

When we come across a post like the one that started this thread, we should resist the temptation to laugh or troll the hilarious lack of self-awareness. Instead, we should find a way to sensitively suggest that retiring to Thailand is the last thing that user should do.

Given the red flags in his post, and subsequent overly-sensitive reactions to the responses, this guy is in for a world of hurt if he tries to live outside America. This is a real person on the verge of potentially making a huge mistake, and we should have empathy for him.

It sounded like he was in India.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think there are really a variety of lifestyles here in not just Chiang Mai - but the CM vicinity and Thailand in general. You can customize by your choice of neighborhoods and hangouts, depending upon what you are looking for... there are areas that are totally tourist oriented and then less so as you go out further from the center. 

The only way for you to know with any certainty would be to come and look around for yourself... We each have personal needs/wants that differ. Glad to help if you want more specific info - you can message me... 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

It sounded like he was in India.. 

Ah, right, well-spotted, in his 3rd post he says:

"Where I live now it is a balance. I can easily navigate my day with meditation, temples, Indian and Western culture and events.
I cannot get the same retirement Visa benefits that Thailand offers and that is why I am searching."

He could, theoretically, be living the yoga lifestyle in California or wherever, complete with temples and Indian cultural events, but, yes, I think you are probably right, he is probably in India.

I still think he should avoid Thailand. India, at least, has a proper infrastructure of shaman and swamis who, although hucksters, deliver a packaged lifestyle that is generally safe. Catering to the spiritual emptiness of baby boomers is a long-established industry there, and he at least has the company of other lost souls. In Thailand, he would end up getting rolled in a far more chaotic and isolated manner.

Edited by donnacha
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok, my question seem to have been bait for humour, nastiness, sarcasm and maybe a sincere post.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

The fact is you can live here any way you want depending on how much money you have. Pretty obvious really.

• Like 1

I spent 3 years in India, I reckon yogi is better off staying there, they do seem to cater better there for his 'spiritual ' needs.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If it is so good, why are there so many Indian overstayers and Illegals here, if I am to believe these pages, there are thousands........oh, wait a minute, that would be a miniscule of their population right, they have over a Billion people there.........never mind    ????:sorry:

• Like 1

It's hard to know what you expect; you frequent an English language forum, peopled largely by male Westerners, yet you seem surprised that, to varying degrees, they desire Western creature comforts. Some of us are prone to go native, but not all. If you really wish to get away from your peers, you are about twenty years too late in CM; try Isaan, there you still stand a chance of spending twenty-four hours without seeing a long nose.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Is there a way to communicate with someone with a different view? I have questions about how Western Chiang Mai is. All the information seems to be directed at expats who want to duplicate a Western way of life, food & drink, a/c, pools, servants.

I've been living without such things and am put off by the image created but drawn to visit and perhaps retire. I cancelled my August paid flight and visit for this concern.

If you want to go down the road less traveled  you ought to be able to do that on your own rather than depending on others to map it out for you.

You aren't obliged to consume western food and drink or to spend your time being waited on as you lounge by your pool. 

Settle here for three to six months and establish the life style you want. In so doing, you'll find some others with similar interests. If not, move on.

I doubt you going to find established communities of westerners whose sole shared interest is eschewing western life styles but who feel the need to be surrounded and supported by other westerners. 

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One visit to India was enough to cure me for life.....

This should look like heaven to the op if he ever gets here.....

That's true enough nowadays, but it wasn't always so.

The India of the Hippie Trail on the road to Katmandu in the 1970s was a life-changing experience for many of my generation.

There were all kinds of dangers and petty hassles but we were young and out to see as much of the world as we could.

Thanks for the memories.

• Thanks 1

Upgraded membership for lifetime fee of $14.95 to change my name.
A small price to pay to keep the Trolls away.

Sent from my Chromebook 14 (CB3-431) using Tapatalk

Thailand is all about you, you can make it what ever you want. live out in a village, live in the city. You can stay at a monastary if you like. Wat Tam Wua is a great place to get lost

• Like 2

What can be done in India can be done in Thailand. Are you up to learning the language. If not, your just like those you wish to avoid.

Flying to CM is not the Lewis and Clark Expedition. Come and see. Do not others direct your life. 

• Like 2

I did not come out to "sakhorn nowhere" to "live like a thai".  But i certainly admit i came here to get away from westerners like you.

Ah, terrific, this Rumak guy is a perfect example of what happens when socially fragile individuals make the mistake of moving to Thailand and find themselves without friends or a support network.

As you can see from his projectile posting in this thread, he considers himself somehow more virtuous because he lives in an area with no "long noses", but the isolation has left him embittered and he now spends all day writing toxic posts, ironically spending all his time with us "long noses" anyway.

Over one thousand posts! ????

From my quick recce, they all appear to revolve around him, and his situation, and his nobility relative to the rest of us. It is a sort of slow motion car crash of desperate attempts to justify his life decisions despite knowing, deep down, that it has all gone horribly wrong.

Again, we should deploy empathy and try to guide mentally weak individuals away from ending up like this.

Edited by donnacha
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Man house rent is very OK but I wouldn't live far from the sea, maybe after I get older.  Who knows! When people get older the ask ask and want less slowing and enjoying the very best of their journey. 

Edited by Different
ADDED

In Thailand you can have the way of life you want

I live in a moo-ban, reasonable comfort, nothing more than normal, no white people here, I speak Thai because nobody speaks English 

you are not forced to stay with foreigners, drink beer etc ; many foreigners here live like me, only Thai food etc … every thing possible

people answered with sarcasm because your question shows that you don't know Thailand; you can have an expensive foreigner life or a modest Thai life, choice is yours