Removing Motorcycle Mirrors because it looks so cool????

Okay so here goes this one! I see it all over the place in Thailand every racer guy has no mirrors on their bike.

If it is a sportbike no mirrors! If it is a honda wave with skinny wheels no mirrors!

I think if you trick out your ride that is fine but to not be able to see because you have no mirrors is just bad!

• Like 2

You cross the safety Rubicon when you throw your leg over the seat of a 2 wheeler.  Helmets, mirrors, and all the other paraphernalia are just window dressing.  I liken it to wearing a condom to go out and do crack whores.  Sure, they make it marginally safer.  But not safe.

Edit:  And, I'd argue, if they make you FEEL safe, they're actually just a siren song, luring you in.

Edited by impulse
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, neeray said:

My bike days have felt pretty safe (so far). Can't really comment on the "crack whore" 'cause I've never done one (or had the urge).

Everyone's day seems safe.  Right up until the tragedy.

Most riders, or drivers for that matter, have their mirrors badly adjusted so as a safety aid they are mostly useless. 

Q. Look behind? There is a bike. Look again the bike is not there. Where is he? 

A. In your blind spot.

• Like 2

Darwin in action: those body parts not being used tend to disappear.

This morning I was looking to the mirror in the motorbike in front of me, to be sure she did see me; then she actually looked at the her properly set mirror! Was awesome! I had to double check she's Thai people.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

most expensive Brit bike we ever built, at the time around 17k GBP.....

You could have bought a decent and new Japanese bike with all that money.

It would have mirrors from the factory - but you could have removed them. ????

• Haha 1

I thought about opening a similar thread.

What are the (Thai) rules for riding without mirrors?

It seems lots of Thais can live without them and they don't have constantly accidents.

Personally I also look all the time in the mirrors and would be uncomfortable if I wouldn't have them.

If I change the lane I look first in the mirror, that's the way to do it, correct?

But how do all these "no mirror riders" ride without them?

I think someone told me once: You react according to what is in front of you and ignore what is behind you. And the people behind you have to react to whatever you are doing. Is that the way it works?

Any self-respecting Thai hoon knows that mirrors are only for girly scooters.    If you ride the fastest bike in town,  there is zero need to know what is behind you.

The only time Somchai might check his mirrors is when he is squeezing a zit on his face whist parked outside the local 7-11 store. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, twocatsmac said:

Badly adjusted is an understatement, some female riders have one mirror pointed at their face. 

I try and get in the mirror of a bike in front of me before I pass but driving etiquette in Thailand is baffling.

I wouldn’t be without mirrors on my daily bike but gold wheel family members have stripped them off their scoots as uncool items. 

Like Thaiguzzi all my bikes have been custom non mirrored bikes but ridden in the U.K. Safer riding environment.

Pic of my 1970 custom Triumph.

3B977543-AE9F-4170-B3CD-E1A476099D07.thumb.jpeg.c68bf19fd2a497085a39bd90bd40e89e.jpeg

A custom made parking spot for your bike in your snooker room - amazing!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, aremesal said:

Darwin in action: those body parts not being used tend to disappear.

This morning I was looking to the mirror in the motorbike in front of me, to be sure she did see me; then she actually looked at the her properly set mirror! Was awesome! I had to double check she's Thai people.

My nephew, a trained, licensed HD shop and highly experienced rider, tells me that his "safe" habit is to establish eye contact with those around you. I try to adopt this habit.

• Like 1

bugger all thias use their mirrors anyway, they just change lanes as they please with no indicator so why bother having them on their bikes, they lack the brain cells to realize why they are supposed to be there

7 hours ago, seajae said:

bugger all thias use their mirrors anyway, they just change lanes as they please with no indicator so why bother having them on their bikes, they lack the brain cells to realize why they are supposed to be there

I guess that answers the question.

Real guys don't use makeup. So what's the point of all those vanity mirrors? Remove them!