After 11 years in Chiang Mai, I was Denied Entry

5 hours ago, BritTim said:

The trouble with that is that the Immigration Act specifically states that, unlike in most other countries, immigration officials do not have that power. They are supposed to deny entry only for the reasons specified in Section 12 of the Immigration Act (and they do actually stamp one of those reasons in your passport, even though their use of it is bogus). Only the Minister has discretion to deny entry to individuals or groups for other reasons. It is possible for the Minister to use Police Orders to instruct officials on other reasons for denied entry (and this is sometimes done with visa exempt entries and visas on arrival). However, the Minister clearly is not supposed to delegate power to officials to deny entry whenever they feel like it.

"...Immigration Act specifically states that, unlike in most other countries, immigration officials do not have that power".

The trouble is that I have read the Act and what you stated is untrue.  The Act makes no mention, for instance, of any other countries.  Immigration Officers are known as competent officials (or maybe competent officers) and as such if they deem that someone should not be granted entry their word counts.  That doesn't stop anyone who wants to appeal the decision from doing so, though. 

"...the Minister clearly is not supposed to delegate power to officials to deny entry whenever they feel like it".

The exact opposite of what you claim is the case, the Minister does give those competent officials that power as Immigration Officers but the IOs generally do not deny entry to visitors "whenever they feel like it"!   To make that accusation is plain ridiculous, in general, and particularly ridiculous in the case of the OP that is being discussed.

• Like 2

So it means, they send you away, not even check if you have the 20K.

Had an odd experience 3 weeks ago, when I crossed a land border, the IO went to see his Sup, however when I asked what's wrong? Standard stupid answer, everything ok. Oh yes, maybe until next time. 

I wonder how the elections go, most probably Status Quo, for sure repression will increase. An unknown outcome, well Status Quo will remain too, as we'll have another coup within should the general prick not win. Ohhh, be sure to see some comedy in between 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I know loads of guys who had an Ed VISA for learning Thai, none of them ended up speaking a word of Thai.

OP himself stated he is fluent in Thai , so I think he learned something at that school.   

Before I turned 50 I was on a 1 year ED visa myself, and I actually tried to learn Thai but after 6 months I realized it was never going to work for me.  But this was before immigration started to "test" peoples language skills. 

19 hours ago, mngmn said:

Find it interesting (but not surprising) that TV members attack the OP but say nothing about the appalling behaviour of the IOs.  Thai IOs should be made to watch the Australian Border Security show for some pointers on how to interact with passengers politely (even when the passenger is breaking the law).

Increasingly worried about my two VE entries I need to do following three years in Thailand on Non-O visas.  My passport is full of entry/exit stamps but I need to enter two more times to pack up my condo and ferry stuff back home for good.  I don't feel confident that the IOs will accept this as a valid reason as they seem to simply enjoy being vindictive. 

Just get a new passport, can't be so hard.

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Are you sure of that?

I read it as 'not enough money for living' nothing to do with occupation.

Foundation for living - could refer to funds or a job. It's a bit ambiguous I'll grant you. Ambiguity being a useful tool for refusing entry.

14 minutes ago, elviajero said:

That's wrong. Every westerner living in the country is resident! You are confusing immigrant status with residential status.

We are all visitors. Some visitors have a certificate of residence (indefinite leave to remain); most have temporary permission to stay. Both are resident if it is their permanent/long term home.

A certificate of residence does not give you indefinite leave to remain. A certificate of residence is a document you get from immigration to buy a motorbike etc, nothing to do with being a Permanent Resident. PR status is indefinite stay, no visa, no 90 day reports.

A certificate of residence does not give you indefinite leave to remain. A certificate of residence is a document you get from immigration to buy a motorbike etc, nothing to do with being a Permanent Resident. PR status is indefinite stay, no visa, no 90 day reports.

Totally agree a legal residence implies some objective status. As it is anything short of PR you are only subject to Thai law as benefits some the national interest, not booted for any reason dreamed up by the police, a false accusation, puffing on the vape pen, “insults”, etc.

Of course if you get robbed by a ladyboy or get your wallet returned by a taxi driver they’ll let you appear at the police station either pointing for the camera or “wai” ing as appropriate. That is the extent of Alien protection under Thai law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Wrong too!!!!!  

A residence permits full title is “Certificate of Residence”. 

91159CAB-D000-4234-97EE-B6F7177331CA.jpeg

Edited by elviajero

It doesn't make sense for Thailand to run two "premium" options for under 50s, the Elite visa and BOI agreement with Iglu for digital workers, and allow people to stay as long as they want on tourist visas and exemptions. Thailand only seems to have realised this last year, when there was a spike in cases like this one, even though these other options have been available for several years. 

Edited by MrBingley

50 minutes ago, Sealbash said:

In which country does an IO not have discretionary authority?

I think the Immigration Bureau probably believes its officials should have that discretion. Nevertheless, under Thai law, they do not. I agree this is different from the law in most other countries.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Surely section 16 gives wide discretionary powers that an IO would claim to be exercising under delegation?

Section 16 gives the Minister wide discretionary powers. Carefully read sections 11-22 several times, and you should come to the conclusion that the Immigration Act specifically and deliberately avoids giving officials other than the Minister discretion over who to admit or deny entry (other than pursuant to the reasons given in Section 12).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, brokenbone said:

the only visa more expensive then ED visa is 5 year elite visa

what makes the ED visa expensive ?

edit:

according to the OP's post #141:

What i was doing was actually more expensive than ED visas 11,400 for extensions a year and 6-8 flights out a year + hotels etc, do the math.

so ED visas certainly rank below visa runs by air to nearby countries in terms of cost.

Edited by buick
  • Like 1

It doesn't make sense for Thailand to run two "premium" options for under 50s, the Elite visa and BOI agreement with Iglu for digital workers, and allow people to stay as long as they want on tourist visas and exemptions. Thailand only seems to have realised this last year, when there was a spike in cases like this one, even though these other options have been available for several years. 
Elite visa holders are not authorized to work, contribute to social security, and pay taxes. Iglu workers are entitled for all of these

Sent from my JKM-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

which means, literally "no factor in sustaining life after entry", or in context, no way of supporting yourself after entry into the kingdom.

If immigration officials were supposed to judge whether arrivals were using the correct kind of visa for their intended stay, Section 12 would say so, not say that officials should deny entry if you have no way of supporting yourself in Thailand for the next 60 days.
Thai people cannot fathom somebody winning a lottery in the west.

Sent from my JKM-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 hours ago, elviajero said:

The OP was not denied entry for not having money. He was denied for not having an appropriate way of living in the country. There’s a big difference.

Yes, the 2nd way is the IO claiming to know more about the visitor's long-term financial situation than the former, which can be solved by showing 10K Baht.  But if that were the issue at hand, the interrogations would involve financial questions.  They don't.  I have yet to read a single report with the question, "What is your means of long-term financing to afford your stay?"  When they do ask questions, reports indicate they often call the person a liar, so perhaps a waste of time to bother, if the person's words are meaningless to them.

So if words don't work, perhaps immigration want something more solid related to the "appropriate means" test.  If so, they would need to specify what that is.  Their only other logical alternative would be to deny-entry to every single person attempting entry on visa-exempt, tourist-visa, non-o Visa, ed-visa, etc.  You have said in the past, that IOs cannot possibly accept people "waiving bank-statements," so if there is no means to counter this financial-claim upon-entry, then immigration must turn everyone away - since none, except those on immigration-issued "extensions of stay," have proven an "appropriate means of living" in the country to immigration (though they have, to the MFA's satisfaction). 

Those coming in on repeat TR of visa exempt - and w/o overstays which the IOs could use as an excuse to deny-entry - are responsible people with more money to spend than is needed for many other forms of stay.  To deny that group based on a money-question is illogical. They don't even try to argue that case, instead lying about some imaginary time-limits being "the law" for tourists, but knowing better than to implicate themselves in a crime by putting that in the denial-stamp.

• Like 2

On 3/22/2019 at 11:01 AM, elviajero said:

Virtually everyone is denied under section 12 (2) of the immigration act.

“2. Having no appropriate means of living following entrance into the Kingdom.”

You were not denied for not having money, but for not having an appropriate means (way) of living in the country.

Does the original Thai text which has been translated as "means of living" really allow the interpretation of "way of living" in the context of section 12(2)? It will be interesting to see how a court of law rules on this if ever such a case goes to court. In the meantime, for a discussion of it on Thaivisa the Thai language forum would be the appropriate place.

17 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Does the original Thai text which has been translated as "means of living" really allow the interpretation of "way of living" in the context of section 12(2)? It will be interesting to see how a court of law rules on this if ever such a case goes to court. In the meantime, for a discussion of it on Thaivisa the Thai language forum would be the appropriate place.

Yes, this I have asked myself many times as well.. "have the means of living" something to do with money or not?

As not enough money there is already a separate section. This maybe would be the main question. What is real the meaning of this section.

7 hours ago, BritTim said:

The original Thai is clearer on what this actually means, and it is nothing to do with having the correct kind of visa. The original Thai is

which means, literally "no factor in sustaining life after entry", or in context, no way of supporting yourself after entry into the kingdom.

If immigration officials were supposed to judge whether arrivals were using the correct kind of visa for their intended stay, Section 12 would say so, not say that officials should deny entry if you have no way of supporting yourself in Thailand for the next 60 days.

I didn’t say it had anything to do with the type of visa.

I’ve explained the Thai text in the past. And you’re missing/ignoring a key part of the text; ตามควร - dtaam kuan. Which — as in the official translation— translates in context as “appropriate”. 

The official Thai translation is contextually accurate.

Having no appropriate means of living following entrance into the Kingdom.”

This law is written as a catch all and is saying that you can’t enter because you haven’t got an “appropriate” way of living (“supporting yoursel”) in the country.

They can use it for long term tourists because — as a tourist — they haven’t met any test to prove how they “support themselves”.

And as I’ve explained before, waiving a bank statement or wod of cash at the border is neither the time or place to prove your “means of living”, so it’s usually ignored by the IO.

The irony is that IO’s want evidence that you’re a tourist and going home, not that you’ve loads of money and can stay indefinitely!

Eventually people will stop conflating the requirement of 12 (9) with (2).

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

On 3/22/2019 at 4:24 PM, chrisc38 said:

For the record i'm not a digital nomad never worked a day the whole time i've been there...SNIP....

I'll be back from my extended holiday soon. can count on that.

Dude, thanks for sharing the details of your story. Please ignore the haters, they're old angry men married to ugly bar girls and they're jealous of you. Best of luck to you.

Edited by ChoakMyDee
quoted text too long
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1