Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Finnish expat shows motorists driving through blocked rail crossing in Si Sa Ket

webfact

Expat shows motorists driving through blocked rail crossing in Si Sa Ket

By The Nation

ff.jpg

video screenshot

A Finnish expat living in Ubon Ratchathani has posted a video clip revealing Thai motorcyclists and motorists driving through a rail crossing that had already been blocked for an oncoming train.

Marco Haajanen, 52, who lives in Ubon Ratchathani, posted the video clip to his Facebook wall on Monday.

The video clip showed lowered barriers on both sides of the road in Si Sa Ket’s Kantharalak district. However, the barrier on each side blocked off only the lane close to the side of the road, leaving the other lane open.

Many motorcyclists and motorists could be seen avoiding the barrier and driving over the railway.

“Welcome to Thailand. I am wondering WHY people FEEL SORRY and sad for those who are KILLED by crossing Railways EVEN [when] there is CLEAR WARNING. Here is REALITY from Thailand, recorded by ME TODAY Monday 3rd June 2019,” Haajanen posted.

“Me personally just laugh for those who are killed as they know by them self they are committing suicide or similar. SHARE THIS TO ALL COMMUNITIES AND GROUPS AS THEY TOO CAN SEE THAI REALITY.”

His car was the first one parked behind a barrier, enabling his dashboard camera to record the risky behaviour.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30370581

thenation_logo.jpg

I would expect the barrier to go down about 30 seconds before the train arrives, not 3 minutes.

Of course that doesnt explain the absurd impatience of people who have nowhere important to go and nothing worthwhile to do when they get there.

3 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I would expect the barrier to go down about 30 seconds before the train arrives, not 3 minutes.

Of course that doesnt explain the absurd impatience of people who have nowhere important to go and nothing worthwhile to do when they get there.

Yeah, but they need to get to the front of the queue and if possible jump it, for no good reason.

I see the same with motorbikes at traffic lights - they all push their way to the front. As soon as the light turns green - they're off! At a brakeneck s-l-o-w  s-p-e-e-d.

I get to the front on my motorbike in order to be away first and accelerate off, away from the other crawling motorcyclists.

14 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Yeah, but they need to get to the front of the queue and if possible jump it, for no good reason.

I see the same with motorbikes at traffic lights - they all push their way to the front. As soon as the light turns green - they're off! At a brakeneck s-l-o-w  s-p-e-e-d.

I get to the front on my motorbike in order to be away first and accelerate off, away from the other crawling motorcyclists.

There could be another way of looking at it

I never ever want to be at the back of the line on my motorbike - I've seen car drivers sailing along into the back of cars stopped at lights - what were they doing - face buried in a phone, so I get as far away from the back of the line as possible

If that was me at the front of the queue, I would make sure I was first away once the barrier was raised so that the queue jumpers were stuck in the wrong lane.

I drove for a number of years in Cairo and it was great sport to annoy such idiots, and there were plenty of them, with the added advantage of being able to blast away at the horn to your hearts delight. Unfortunately the horn is not an option here if you value your life........ 

This is a Thai Bash.. but a valid one.... 

The general behavior here is that the Rules are for everyone else.... 

This really is a shame as the knock on effect of this selfishness is the cumulative impact it has on everyone, Thailands traffic woes is a perfect example, there is no sense of the 'greater good' or the understanding that following the rules makes it better for everyone else.... Consequently its a free for all and everyone is fighting everyone to get ahead the end result is everyone is slower... 

3 minutes ago, monkeycu said:

The train is a different story and mostly a permanent ending

That's got me thinking:

A train doesn't care if you don't have a driving licence or insurance.

A train won't give you a ticket for speeding.

A train doesn't demand a bribe.

A train doesn't care how overloaded your vehicle is.

If you do argue with a train, the whole issue can be permanently resolved in seconds.

Unfortunately, the reality is, road safety education in Thailand is zero, let's not be surprised if the dead on the road are number one in the world, the police are NOT present, the education for the license is non-existent, the arrogance and the rudeness that takes more and more space among the population.

RE - A Finnish expat living in Ubon Ratchathani has posted a video clip revealing Thai motorcyclists and motorists driving through a rail crossing that had already been blocked for an oncoming train.

Seems to be his first trip to Thailand ...

Another case simple to remedy; just put up camera's and confiscate and crush every vehicle seen to break the law or make them pay 20-30,000 Baht each to get their vehicle back.    Not Rocket Science, just 'Law Enforcement ' !

A common sight at the various level crossings in my neck of the woods... the exception being school run hours.. they will be nose to tail over the crossing & stop the train !!!!

Eventually the crossing officer will get out and clear the tracks!

42 minutes ago, ttrd said:

RE - A Finnish expat living in Ubon Ratchathani has posted a video clip revealing Thai motorcyclists and motorists driving through a rail crossing that had already been blocked for an oncoming train.

Seems to be his first trip to Thailand ...

As his name nationality and location in Thailand is given very excellent chance it will be his last. ????

Normal occurrence here, but look on the bright side after bump with train they are totally squished and dead and gone... (Well at least scattered in bits  a few yards down the track)???? and cannot harm anyone else.

I really don't care if Thais want to kill themselves while driving. This is, in fact, the best method as it involves no-one else but the unfortunate train driver. You can bet if they disregard the barrier they will also disregard any other traffic rule if it suits them, and that might be far more dangerous to others.

What it comes down to is Thais have absolutely no self-discipline. Combine that with a near total lack of law enforcement and the result is anarchy and chaos. And it isn't going to change any time soon. Too deeply ingrained into the culture.

I have a dash cam full of fun stuff like that. 
A cement truck driving the wrong way down Highway 11; numerous vehicles pulling out of side roads without looking or stopping, one coming inches from T-boning a van on the main road; at least a dozen people driving the wrong way on roads; 20 or 30 cars pulling onto the highway and merging  without looking and creating near misses; and one moron one Highway 11 who just about side-wiped me as he pulled his car into my lane without looking at all - I was right next to the fool and could look at him as I laid on the horn and evading the moron.  
Typical day on Thai roads.  Still and forever The Most Dangerous Roads in the World.  

totally true " I really don't care if Thais want to kill themselves while driving. " newermind what thai doing own life newer i not care. darwin law sweep all idiot out of country someday have only smart peoples,i hope. but go long long time thats day, thais have idiot lot more than foreign peoples have, i think maybe 99% thais have totally idiot but foreign same percent have about 5% and finland percent at peoples have 98% when looking what finnish peoples do electionday.

I don't think that road safety education is the issue here. This is a country where people make a living from putting their heads into crocodile mouths and driving taxis at 90km/h with a 3 foot gap between them and the car in front. 

But then they insist that you turn your phone off in the rain because you could be killed by some imaginary force, or if you go into a jungle at night you won't come out because of ghosts and black magic.

It's about common sense, or the complete lack of.

7 hours ago, dabhand said:

If that was me at the front of the queue, I would make sure I was first away once the barrier was raised so that the queue jumpers were stuck in the wrong lane.

I drove for a number of years in Cairo and it was great sport to annoy such idiots, and there were plenty of them, with the added advantage of being able to blast away at the horn to your hearts delight. Unfortunately the horn is not an option here if you value your life........ 

I concur with your first paragraph.  I would match the speed of the vehicle on my right , hopefully the driver coming the other way would get miffed , peeved even , it makes me smile when they get stuck in the wrong lane like this , time to teach them some road manners.

Archived