Alcohol banned for 48 hours from midnight tonight - it's all about suffering!

webfact

1 minute ago, alant said:

I read in the 5 precepts that devotees one is to abstain from intoxicants but these are not commandments so I am not sure how this holds up. Especially if you look at them in the context of the other precepts.

For me personally I wonder where these came from as they were not written by Buddha. I am not saying he didn't preach them I just wonder.

That's the reason I put Commandments in apostrophies (Can't remember the correct word for  '.......'....oh yes, quotes) And I too wonder where all these silly rules came from. Could Buddah write? And Moses' Ten C's were sent down by God.

27 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

and who votes the rulers in? Oh wait! Don't the voters get paid for their votes?

As has been shown it makes little difference who they vote for, vote the wrong way and the tanks come out. Bribery is idiotic, people take the money and vote the way they intended anyway, sometimes they collect off both sides.

• Like 1

"Spokesman Pol Col Krissana Pattanacharoen said the ban will be strictly enforced" ....... a bit like wearing helmets on motorcycles, smoking cars and lorries, underage drivers, school kids 4 on a bike and the un-roadworthy lorries, cars and pickups.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

That's the reason I put Commandments in apostrophies (Can't remember the correct word for  '.......'....oh yes, quotes) And I too wonder where all these silly rules came from. Could Buddah write? And Moses' Ten C's were sent down by God.

I have read Buddha did not write any of the teachings and it was hundreds of years before they were written down. 

After such a long time what was being written?

23 hours ago, wgdanson said:

If they are such devout Buddhists, they should not be drinking in the first place, so nothing to give up.

If they are such devout Buddhists, they should not be opening up brothels (aka bars) in the entire country and pimp their daughters to marry 30 years older sexpats for financial gains. 

Edited by onera1961
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

If they are such devout Buddhists, they should not be opening up brothels (aka bars) in the entire country and pimp their daughters to marry 30 years older sexpats for financial gains. 

So we both agree that they are NOT devout Buddhists>

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, alant said:

I have read Buddha did not write any of the teachings and it was hundreds of years before they were written down. 

After such a long time what was being written?

BS, same as the Old & NewTestaments, and that other book beginning with K.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

But for Caucasians, who have a higher tolerance of alcohol than Asians, I would suggest, other health conditions being equal, that daily alcohol consumption of <35 grams (<half a bottle of red wine) is a health benefit, and cannot and should not be compared to hard drug consumptions - or smoking, come to that. 

I think alcohol should be compared to "hard" drugs as it causes a lot more problems for the drinker, the family and the judicial system. 

I like to see a study that says half a bottle of wine daily is good for one.

I'd say recreational use of wine may be harmless, as would that is pure heroin.

We've had an enjoyable social time this morning, temple from 5.30-8.30 great opportunity to catch up with friends, and people away from their workplace. In a town of around 9000, events like this bring people together from the surrounding orchard/horticulture areas, groups heading off together afterwards to homes and cafes.

Our town is almost 'dry' in that while Tesco, 7-11 and a few stores sell alcohol ( but not today or tomorrow), there's no bars, only one of the restaurants has beer. And yet miraculously, people survive. 

Wishing you all a happy day.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, habanero said:

I never get irritated. I just don't like hypocrisy. 

I remember when the U.S. military were stationed here. Never did they shutter the bars. That would have been too much money to give up. I don't care what the holiday was. 

So you are saying in all the years since the time of US GIs being stationed you expect no progressiveness or changing to thinking about rules and social norms? Okay.

Back then car seat belts weren't mandated in most countries were they? If they were the rule had only just been implemented. I miss those times when people could have a 35 mph head on and have the front seat passenger plough head first though the windscreen... Those were the days. All this progressive thinking or changed attitudes have ruined that.

On 7/15/2019 at 9:55 AM, Myran said:

"Hour 9.

I'm getting uncomfortably aware of my surroundings, and everything seems to have weird focus to it. My throat is dry and I'm breaking out in sweats. I'm not sure how long I can carry on."

GO  to a temple and CHILL OUT !!!!!

22 hours ago, wgdanson said:

No, the OP did not mention consumption.

I know, I didn't say that it did mention consumption! 

I was pointing out that what you pointed out, i.e. the ban is on selling and distribution, is exactly what the OP stated.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, stevefloyd said:

Monks day = come and be brainwashed to give us some money for doing naff all so we can flaunt our prestigious temples in your faces

We will be shopping Thursday and i bet Tesco's will be full of Monks wheeling full trolley's around with all their luxury foods bought with 'gifts' from the Sheep this week; happens every time we go out right after these 'Ceremonial Moments' !

Are the bars in 5 star Hotels open?
I know for a fact you can get served from 2-5PM
at the Westin Grande Sukhumvit pool bar,etc.
Your ensuite minibar would be “open”.
Many people don’t study up enough on Thailand before coming here on vacation for the first time, look how many still rent jet skis?

On 7/15/2019 at 9:45 AM, Pilotman said:

The Thais are, it's you that is out of step.  Their country, their rules.  

Went to Villa Supermarket yesterday and bought wine. As I was buying it, I realized there’s supposed to be a ban. I purchased it no problem. 

Where there’s corruption, there are no rules. Just endless hypocrisy. They make them up as they go along. 

Edited by rkidlad
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Went to Villa Supermarket yesterday and bought wine. As I was buying it, I realized there’s supposed to be a ban. I purchased it no problem. 

Where there’s corruption, there are no rules. Just endless hypocrisy. They make them up as they go along. 

At least be discreet and have a semblance of decency and stop winging about their belief system. If you don't like it just go somewhere else. My goodness - dry for 48 hrs - wow what an imposition. Maybe it's a godsend to get your willy to work. The hops in the beer kills willy action.

• Confused 2

On 7/17/2019 at 10:35 AM, rkidlad said:

well we all know that is true. 

11 hours ago, Melbun said:

At least be discreet and have a semblance of decency and stop winging about their belief system. If you don't like it just go somewhere else. My goodness - dry for 48 hrs - wow what an imposition. Maybe it's a godsend to get your willy to work. The hops in the beer kills willy action.

Can't agree with your last sentence. After 4 or 5 beers mine works fine. I pee for hours.

• Haha 2

Some bars serve beer in a glass and it becomes soda.
I think the only ones who abstain for 4 months are the very light drinkers. I know I don't want to around an "alkie" having withdrawal symptoms.
A certain bar in Nana area serves both days only in a glass.. Must be a loophole

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Can't agree with your last sentence. After 4 or 5 beers mine works fine. I pee for hours.

Right !! and with a full gut of beer you may very well have to say to the "lucky lady" "sorry got to get off for a p*ss" hahah.

And by the way. Don't believe me mate, but hops is estrogenic and drinking beer is slowly turning into to a woman - with fetching man boobs to boot. Look it up buster. It lowers testosterone.

P.S with those man boobs you just may attract the attention of lADYBOYS HAHAH.

1 hour ago, madmen said:
On 7/16/2019 at 5:41 PM, elgenon said:
Some bars serve beer in a glass and it becomes soda.
I think the only ones who abstain for 4 months are the very light drinkers. I know I don't want to around an "alkie" having withdrawal symptoms.

A certain bar in Nana area serves both days only in a glass.. Must be a loophole

Yes, I have seen that.

A certain bar on Soi 13 and Second Road had about 20-30 people sitting in the dark in the rear of the bar. I am certain they were all drinking water though.