Stuck in Chiang Mai: Stranded foreign tourist spends SIX days at the airport

webfact

Stuck in Chiang Mai: Stranded foreign tourist spends SIX days at the airport

2pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Sanook reported that a female foreign tourist - unable to get a flight home due to the coronavirus pandemic - has been hunkering down at Chiang Mai airport for nearly a week. 

She spends her days in the terminal and nights sleeping outside - the airport has been closed and will remain shut until the end of the month at least. 

The authorities have been helping her out with food, water, coffee and fruit and showing her where she can get a shower. It has lasted six days now.

They told Sanook that they had offered to contact the lady's embassy but she said no thanks. She wanted to stay at the airport where she felt safe. 

She had no money and was waiting for funds to be sent from her family. 

It was not known where she was from or where she had been on her travels but a fuller investigation was promised today. 

The tourist is one of many stuck in Thailand since travel restrictions were introduced both in the kingdom and throughout the world to combat the spread of the coronavirus that causes Covid-19. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-04-20

• Sad 1

British woman stranded in Chiang Mai airport for a week

By The Nation

800_750fd9505c92155.png?v=1587364588

A British woman stranded in Chiang Mai Airport for a week after her flight to Bangkok was cancelled has finally been given a place to stay.

On Monday (April 20), a reporter interviewed an airport official, after staff noticed the woman had been living in the airport for several days.

Chiang Mai Airport director Nattawut Ta-inta said the woman arrived on April 14 but could not take another flight since they all were cancelled due to the Covid-19 crisis.

Nattawut revealed that she was a backpacker who was heading to Bangkok and then Surat Thani when she got stranded in the airport.

She had no money to buy another ticket as her friends could not make transactions because of the pandemic in their country, so airport officials had taken food and water to her while she was trapped.

Tourist police offered her aid, but she rejected it and insisted on waiting for money to be sent.

The woman was finally released from captivity in the airport on Monday and taken to a guest house. The airport is taking measures to deal with any similar cases in the future.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30386406?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=internal_referral

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-20

We all know there's more to this story.......

i get it, escaping something.  something that MUST be escaped at the time and money is not a concern.  well, ok, i don't really get it, but i can imagine it.  

she does need help, maybe a little mental help.  she needs to talk to someone.  she knew her funds might run out and was willing to surf facebook in the airport all day, for days, and sleep outside at night.  and she's probably in her 20's.  that's a crazy age to be homeless abroad. 

if she is reading this and can send me the vaccine to COVID19, I'll send her 100 after human trials are completed and I make 100 trillion.  

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RichCor said:
41 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

...where she build a little den out of straw in the car park and settled down for the night.

Not sure that's a good idea. Sticks would be so much better.

You're probably right. A night in the sticks would probably be quieter too.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, anterian said:

Did not want her embassy contacted, then probably British, all Brits know their embassies are useless.

Contrary to their reputation Brit embassy in Bangkok does offer assistance at present. Too much for apparently stranded guys to check embassy facebook page?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, samsensam said:

...and who goes on holiday without the funds to support themselves?

Backpackers do.

"Nattawut revealed that she was a backpacker who was heading to Bangkok and then Surat Thani when she got stranded in the airport."

My son and two friends traveled Europe two months playing music 

at small bars etc.... they survived and got back to US successfully..

not professional musicians but loved music and could play well.

It wasn’t planned By chance I was going to Paris on two day business trip from Los Angeles they were playing at local place with several groups...he come check it out..  I went and saw them...

he didnt ask for money nor did I offer.... if got he could call me but

he never has asked money... Master degree he self funded.. 

11 hours ago, ThaiPauly said:

Just like Tom Hanks in the movie Terminal

I'm sure it won't be as easy for her as it was for him with the airport virtually closed

Ivan Gump, I remember that awful movie.

15 hours ago, RichCor said:

Not sure that's a good idea. Sticks would be so much better.

Or maybe bricks, like the 3rd little pig. Then no big, bad wolf can huff and puff and blow her house down. There, finished the story for you. ????

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Who in their right mind have missed all information, and arrives to a foreign country at a date that is this late into a global pandemic?

So true unbelievable .where ad she come from another planet maybe 

• Sad 1