German virologist: Covid-19 is less deadly than we thought

1 minute ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Neill Ferguson doesn't like to reveal his modelling science, but his modelling for foot and mouth was incorrect and his 500,000 deaths from covid-19 look a suspect model too.

Yes my point with Ferguson was that he interviewed people with different view points so he is not only interviewing people who may hold the position he believes and is not some conspiracy theorist. I don't agree with Ferguson's conclusion and am aware of his alarmist history.

I remember having a burger in Wales in 1995 during the Mad Cow scare.

1 minute ago, yuyiinthesky said:

And interestingly even Neil Ferguson is now claiming a death rate of just 1% or even less, way below his earlier predictions. He is getting useless even for scaremongers.

I will watch the interview with Ferguson. I believe he is saying it is .9% now, which would still be kind of scary.

6 minutes ago, Puccini said:

An epidemiologist needs a big pool of "patient material" he can study to arrive at a meaningful conclusion. As it is at the moment, there are just not enough of us getting sick and dying because of the strict safety precautions that have been imposed.

You can volunteer if you want, but I'll abstain.

6 minutes ago, Puccini said:

This German professor in the video speaks like a dedicated scientist, which he is. If there had been less restrictions there would be a lot more infected people and scientists would have a better opportunity to study how the infection spreads and how it leads to death in severe cases, he basically says and this is true.

An epidemiologist needs a big pool of "patient material" he can study to arrive at a meaningful conclusion. As it is at the moment, there are just not enough of us getting sick and dying because of the strict safety precautions that have been imposed.

I did not hear him saying that, not at all.

What I heard was that he said that it is not possible anymore to see which measure, which restriction did have which effect, if any, because they had been all applied at the same time. 

To know if a restriction / a change of a parameter has an effect you apply only one restriction / change only one parameter and then watch for 2 or 3 weeks to see if it has an effect.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Well, what a refreshing change in seeing Hendrik Streeck actually looking at the evidence, going to badly affected areas and speaking to and examining the affected himself, as opposed to the alarmist Neil Ferguson sitting in his office making mathematical models devoid of reality.

And the best news of all:

Streeck's conclusions about lethality of the virus have just been confirmed by genetic research from Arizona. It's happened again, one of the key parts of this virus' genome sequence has gone missing in one strain, just like with SARS previously. This should mean that the virus will become even less lethal as it loses part of its ability to transmit.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8288189/At-12-different-strains-coronavirus-circulating-UK-March.html

I'll have to read that tomorrow. Thanks

9 minutes ago, Logosone said:

This should mean that the virus will become even less lethal as it loses part of its ability to transmit.

Meanwhile, in the next thread, they talk about a new strain.

We get bombarded with conflicting news, part of the "divide and conquer" strategy, i guess.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, yuyiinthesky said:

I did not hear him saying that, not at all.

What I heard was that he said that it is not possible anymore to see which measure, which restriction did have which effect, if any, because they had been all applied at the same time. 

To know if a restriction / a change of a parameter has an effect you apply only one restriction / change only one parameter and then watch for 2 or 3 weeks to see if it has an effect.

The one thing Dr. Wittkowski said that really rang true: If the US had not locked down, we could have spent only a fraction of the $2T we spent on the unemployed and shuttered businesses, isolating and protecting the most vulnerable of the population, and gotten a much better result in terms of overall deaths. I think he is spot on in this assessment. Of course, that is in hindsight, which is 20/20. At the time of the lockdown, we did not have the numbers to make that, what now seems obvious, decision.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

Are you a virologist?

No. I am smarter than that.

There are governments all over the world, making policies based on advice of a LOT of virologists.

A conspiracy channel finds some virologists with a different opinion and they say:  LOOK, we found 1 or 2 virologists with a different opinion, so the whole world is wrong!!!  Everybody is wrong, because we have 1 or 2 people here who say so!

TVF is full with sheep, talking about meanstream media bla bla bla.

Edited by dimitriv
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

Tell us more about these Facebook ads. How about some examples?

Here is the article...

-The study was also criticized for recruiting its volunteers on Facebook

-Then there are concerns about the Stanford study’s sample and statistical analysis.

-Both studies used an antibody test made by Premier Biotech company that has not been approved by the FDA and comes with an acknowledgment that it can record false positives.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/23/coronavirus-antibody-studies-california-stanford

1 hour ago, JensenZ said:

You must be referring to the video of the 2 Californian doctors talking about this. The video is still easy to find, but YouTube took it off. Their estimates for covid-19 mortality in California was 0.03%... and for New York state, about 0.1%

Their estimates were wrong.  2 fake US scientists spreading nonsense ????

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, timendres said:

The one thing Dr. Wittkowski said that really rang true: If the US had not locked down, we could have spent only a fraction of the $2T we spent on the unemployed and shuttered businesses, isolating and protecting the most vulnerable of the population, and gotten a much better result in terms of overall deaths. I think he is spot on in this assessment. Of course, that is in hindsight, which is 20/20. At the time of the lockdown, we did not have the numbers to make that, what now seems obvious, decision.

And yet the Swedish did. Why is that, I wonder?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Monomial said:

And yet the Swedish did. Why is that, I wonder?

Is that a rhetorical question? I do not know enough about Sweden to answer.

What i do know is that the US was locked in some horrible political nonsense, amplified by a deficient press, that resulted in a huge disservice to it's citizens.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dimitriv said:

Here is the article...

-Then there are concerns about the Stanford study’s sample and statistical analysis.

-Both studies used an antibody test made by Premier Biotech company that has not been approved by the FDA and comes with an acknowledgment that it can record false positives.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/23/coronavirus-antibody-studies-california-stanford

Thanks for the link. Interesting article. I don't know why recruiting off Facebook matters. Regardless of where one recruits, potential patients should be screened to see if they meet the parameters of the experiment.

26 minutes ago, dimitriv said:

Here is the article...

There is so much wrong in the US. Watch this video. 

12 minutes ago, Monomial said:

My point is that the information was available. Many people were saying it. The US simply chose not to listen.

Sweden is really instructive. Ignore the "infection" rate. Those figures are totally unreliable. But mortality is more easily viewed. All dead people go through the morgue, and death from the virus is easily identified. Check out this curve:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1105753/cumulative-coronavirus-deaths-in-sweden/

Now the early part of that curve could be wrong because there may very well have been deaths before March 11, but the interesting part is the data over the last few weeks. It shows an asymptote around 3000 people, exactly what one would expect with a mostly immune population. And a death rate just about 0.03%.

Looking here:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1107913/number-of-coronavirus-deaths-in-sweden-by-age-groups/

We can see 95% of the deaths were over the age of 60.

Unlike Covid-19 cases, this data doesn't lie. This is the real mortality rate of a country that didn't engage in lockdown silliness and simply adopted reasonable precautions. I know there is a full court press by the mainstream media right now to discredit this model by talking about "infections" and "cases", but those numbers can be manipulated. Deaths, on the other hand, are deaths. Tell me that the death rate isn't obviously levelling off. New infections through better testing are simply irrelevant. Sweden didn't followed logic and science rather than the WHO experts.

The US could have done the same. They didn't. They had exactly the same information as Sweden, but they wanted this to happen. Why?

I believe they had some unfortunate incidents in which nursing homes were not properly isolated which accounted for a large number of deaths in the elderly...and interesting stats.

Edited by vermin on arrival

6 minutes ago, Monomial said:

Unlike Covid-19 cases, this data doesn't lie. This is the real mortality rate of a country that didn't engage in lockdown silliness and simply adopted reasonable precautions. I know there is a full court press by the mainstream media right now to discredit this model by talking about "infections" and "cases", but those numbers can be manipulated. Deaths, on the other hand, are deaths. Tell me that the death rate isn't obviously levelling off. New infections through better testing are simply irrelevant. Sweden followed logic and science rather than the WHO experts.

"Deaths, on the other hand, are deaths" - exactly.

7 minutes ago, Monomial said:

The US could have done the same. They didn't. They had exactly the same information as Sweden, but they wanted this to happen. Why?

The answer lies in our currently dysfunctional political arena, failing press, and divided citizenry. When US citizens finally come back to the one thing we all can agree on - freedom - things will start to improve.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Japan was suppose to be the next big one a few weeks ago, 536 deaths and 15000 infections, also Malaysia has gone quiet, 108 deaths and 6000 infections.

If you look at the Arcgis tracker, some countries have stalled and others accelerated. I see very little research explaining why countries have fared better or worse, some test more, some test, varied climates. The UK and USA have fared worst and generally have more obese people. A British medic today said at the 5pm press conference that obesity was a "big" factor and people should consider their health and weight.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

That's what I was thinking. Maybe just hitting the societies with people who are obese/less healthy(hypertension etc) harder, and the US is one the most obese unhealthy countries in the world.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

That's what I was thinking. Maybe just hitting the societies with people who are obese/less healthy(hypertension etc) harder, and the US is one the most obese unhealthy countries in the world.

I thought this article was interesting. For every ‘rule’ about this disease there are exceptions that cannot be explained.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/03/world/asia/coronavirus-spread-where-why.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1