Govt allays fears on privacy as it prepares to launch Covid-19 app on May 15

webfact

Just now, smedly said:

so we will all be on permanent lockdown unless you have a smartphone - that is what I am reading from this, no entry unless you can scan a QR code 

As usual, zero enforcement .. it's lip service.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, garygooner said:

"You can also use the app to check if your barbers is crowded" 

I can just look inside the bloody window!! 

Our barbers doesn't have a window just a roof. Does that make him "outdoors" so fewer restrictions?

Despite barbers being allowed to open I still can't get a haircut. The man vanished off to his village and nobody knows when he will return ????

Actually, checking in and out of locations isn't too bad, it's not like some country's apps that track your every move.

Google knows where my phone has been for the last million years anyway, of course, that doesn't mean it knows where I have been :whistling:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Dont bother me, not smart enough for a smart phone, still use a push button phone.:cheesy:????

Colin, the tracker built into your scooter by the Chinese manufacturer tells him everything ????

Silly anecdote.

My son used to work for an outfit in Christchurch (Dorset) who make wheelchair and scooter electronics. Of course each country has different regulations about maximum speeds etc. To keep costs down all the country unique data was stored in FLASH software parameters which were easily altered (like re-mapping your car ECU). There was quite a little black market in "Hot ROMs" for your wheelchair.

100kph mod for the scooter??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Should anyone contract the virus, risk groups who come to the shop at that specific time interval will be informed via a message and they will be asked to test for the virus.

"Farang.  You need to get test.  Only 10,000 THB.  Maybe 20,000.  Farang price!"  Oh, this week you contact three different times.  You need three tests.  Maybe you get virus between 1st and 2nd test, or between 2nd and 3rd test.  Safety first."

Not only have they destroyed their economies but they dead set on destroying their society as well.  And kiss tourism good-bye. 

Edited by connda
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

The only way they can force people to scan the QR code is if the shop checks every customer's phone for a confirmation alert (with the shop's id of course). before allowing entry. Which sounds pretty harsh and not easy to implement.

Ok, mebbe the person with the thermal scanner will have added duty.

• Haha 1

Sounds like a great plan...hope the app works as well as the one that they launched before for farangs arriving at airports. 

Also, I don't have a smartphone. Don't need a phone of any level of intelligence. I have a Thai wife. 

Edited by JCP108
  • Like 1

The online publication which can't be quoted here said that the government wanted it to be used in restroom areas of malls, too. So, how will someone like me (who doesn't have a phone since I have a Thai wife) go to the restroom in a mall? How will I go anywhere without a phone? Will people be stopping me from going into shops and restrooms? Does this mean permanent lockdown for me?

Firstly, I think this is yet another one of the typical Thai Official Mouth Diarrhea type ideas. They come up with this scheme without any thought of how to implement it or if the technology even works - but they announce it with great fanfare (Banners and Photo-Ops galore). Then when it doesn't work or just ignored by everyone, it fades away into the dustbin of other wonderful Thai Government ideas.

Second, IF this does become mandatory, I will just buy a tourist SIM and use my old phone for this evil app. No way will I put it my regular phone. The old phone comes out only when required and then I'll probably change SIMs often.

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Great, but i personally don't have a mobile phone

I am with you Richard I dont either Use my skype to call home Cheaper and lets face it I dont have many Thai friends ringing me lol

• Like 1