Sewerage smell in Bathroom - all condos/apartments in BKK have same problems?

bbi1

Does your condo bathroom often have sewerage smell coming from the drain pipe?  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've lived in 2 different apartment condos (age of condos around 10- 14years old)  in BKK over a number of years. Both of them sometimes have a terrible smell that seems to be sewerage smell coming up from the drain pipe every now and then. I've also lived in a condo in Pattaya, but never had that problem.

Does your BKK condo bathroom often have sewerage smell coming from the drain pipe? I've also added a poll above.

Wondering if this is a BKK problem and what people here do to solve this, besides always keeping the bathroom door closed? Surely this is a health hazard. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

make sure the rubber cup in the shower drain is fitted properly and covered in water.

Not sure what you mean about the rubber cup in shower drain. There's only a metal thing on top of the shower drain.

There's also a drain in the bathroom next to the toilet where the bum gun is. Also has a metal thing on top of that drain.

Bathroom sink pipe has the "bend" thing in the pipe under the bathroom sink.

Edited by bbi1

Keep the small syphon at the shower drain always clean and look that there is water in it. An other problem are the toilets. Often they don't use any seal like a wax ring and so there will be always smell coming from this pipe. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Simplest solution I have used in many places that have sewerage gas coming out of shower, bath, basins  or floor drains is to park a bottle of water on them.

yes, i've already had to start doing this and i live in a new-build with a new drain system

toilet cleaner bottle is a good fit

edit^ dave's idea sounds better, I had baby scorpions coming up through mine

Edited by cyril sneer
  • Like 2

It is a problem in not all, but some condo buildings not just in BKK.

There is a higher end place 30 stories in Naklua Pattaya that I looked at.  Very nice everything but the entire building smelled like a sewer.  Not just the room drains but the hallways also.

The agent gave me some BS story that most places have this smell due to the way Thailand constructs them.

I do not think you can get rid of it, especially like I said the entire building has the issue.   Probably something you might get use to over time I guess, but no thanks as it is pretty terrible bring a friend or girl over and listen to them complain how bad the place stinks.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 2

If the drain traps dry out in the shower/floor drains cups then there will be no barrier to stop gas rising into the room. In my second bathroom I always ensure to spray the drains each day to ensure a seal. That way no sewer gas or smells can rise into the room. 

• Like 1

Tolets will go to a septic tank and have the possibility of venting explosive gasses into your house if they are not vented or have a water barrier. Sinks and showers etc are discharged into street drainage. A little smelly but generally not dangerous.. baths and showers need plugs to stop the smell if they are not vented. If they are vented then the only way to stop smells is to have an S or P trap. 

1 hour ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Simplest solution I have used in many places that have sewerage gas coming out of shower, bath, basins  or floor drains is to park a bottle of water on them.

Do yourself a favor and put something there that can float on water. Otherwise if a pipe or a hose breaks in the bathroom the water can't go down the drain and your rooms will be flooded. Happened to me 1 time but will never happen again. 

• Like 2

this serves as a good reminder... to not be in too much of a hurry, to fix a dripping tap!

- a couple of droplets a minute would be quite good enough to keep a trap happy and content

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Oldie said:

Do yourself a favor and put something there that can float on water. Otherwise if a pipe or a hose breaks in the bathroom the water can't go down the drain and your rooms will be flooded. Happened to me 1 time but will never happen again. 

The  bottle does not need to be anywhere near  full. Just enough to keep it in place with a little positive pressure. In the rare event of a major water leak it would/should eventually float off before water level reaches the point of  flooding outside  of the bathroom.

A friend of mine  uses a couple of  plastic  balls that he has injected  some water into to do the job.

Thats where I got the idea  to use drinking water bottles. Renewable/disposable when needed.

My own residence has been plumbed properly so this  is what I do only when traveling. (Hotels )

I do this a a favour to myself because I would  rather I woke  with a  hangover  headache  that one induced  by sewerage  gas !

As said most likely drying out of the floor drain - they must have water below the plastic/metal center cover to black smells.  

Water trap - DIY housing forum - Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa ...

This is the normal sink drain trap - vertical pipe must be below horizontal and in the water - should clean occasionally.

image.jpeg.a1a68ae8038121b3c1b53103ac7edff1.jpeg

It's not only condos. I have a two story house and the upstair bathroom used to reek of sewage. My wife arranged for an extractor fan to be installed on top of the septic tank and the stick to be routed elsewhere. It has worked like a dream.