Is there a right to privacy?

Grusa

The neighbours backing on to our property have installed security cameras. One of them faces directly at our back wall, and must take in all three storeys, with direct views into bedrooms and bathrooms.

Is there a legal right to privacy, and how would a farang invoke  it?

• Haha 1

At night point some really bright lights in the direction of the cameras,they won't be able to see a thing.

One time i moved somewhere and all of the neighbors where in front of the big kitchen window watching me,it took at a measuring tape,measured to window and proceeded to install a sheet of plywood,job done.

I understand how you feel about this,you can also install mirror windows so they can not see anything in the daytime.At night you will have to use curtains or there are sheets you can place directly on to the glass.

No idea how you could get the people net door to remove the cameras,They could be fake cameras also.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Just install an infrared illuminator or two (intended for night vision CCTV) pointed towards their cameras, they won't see a thing.

This!

I have been to your house (ahem!) and your CCTV system doesn't work very well at night. You need an illuminator or two.

If you are feeling kind put a regular outdoor light next to them to light up the garden and no one will know any different. Your honour.

This is enough of a problem to warrant at least three hits on a search for "How to blind my neighbours CCTV" 

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Just install an infrared illuminator or two (intended for night vision CCTV) pointed towards their cameras, they won't see a thing.

Are you sure?

Because from photography I know there are IR filters to filter our IR light. If the neighbor uses such filters then your IR light wont blind his cameras.

I don't know how well all this works in real life. I just want to bring it up to make sure you don't think your IR illuminator blinds him and then maybe it doesn't...

irincamera.png

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Yes, I'm sure.

CCTV cameras have to operate at night and many have their own IR illuminators built in. The illuminators being suggested are intended to assist/replace anything the cameras have. Pointing them at a camera is akin to pointing a bright visible light but rather less intrusive to the camera owner.

You can demonstrate that your webcam is still sensitive to IR even though it has an IR filter by pointing your TV remote at it and pressing a button, you will see the IR transmitter light up (assuming you are watching the webcam image of course and it's not a radio-remote). It's also a handy way of testing your remote is working.

Ok, that is the way security cameras are supposed to work. And then the IR light will work to blind them.

But lets imagine for a minute that the person with the camera has something else than security in mind like "looking" into other people's windows as daytime. It seems that is the OP's concern. And this is why I caution about IR filters.

There is a bigger flaw in the idea of putting up IR illuminators to blind the neighbor's CCTV: unless the houses are only a very small distance apart, the "blooms" of light may not be sufficient, or not in the right position. You won't be able to see the results, so how will you know?

So I vote for mounting a dummy camera aimed at their bedroom. That may be enough for them to get the point and back down.

As for relevant law, Thailand does not have regulation applying to this situation. It would have to be more overt, like a cam hidden in a toilet. Interestingly, it is legitimate to complain to the police if someone aims a very bright light at your house (but only visible light, not IR).

What's wrong with old fashioned  curtains or window blinds? Quite attractive as well if you choose right.

I have always understood it to be the responsibility of the occupants of a room to draw the curtains when privacy was needed.

My house is not in range of anyone's CCTV or anyone else's house yet I always make sure to pull the drapes before disrobing etc.  Never know who might be passing by and looking up, and it is easy enough to do.

• Like 2

I have always walked about in my home even if I had no clothes on.  I do keep an eye out to make sure I'm got giving someone a heart attack but unless you're a pervert catching a quick glimpse of someone shouldn't be a big deal.   If you have more robust activities close your curtains.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Madam told me to stop wandering around upstairs bollok-naked, apparently I was scaring the pigeons.

There have been several threads on here about keeping pigeons away, opportunity perhaps for a little extra income....................????

• Haha 1

At least in the USA, the peeping tom laws are a local ordinace, so they vary substantially between locales, but as a general rule most of them require that you are unaware of the presence of the individual or camera in order to be enforced.  As this camera is visible and permanent, in most areas of the USA you would have no recourse either.  In general there is no right to privacy from something that can be readily viewed from outside your property.

If you want privacy, Sheryl's idea is the best. Simply install curtains. Newspaper and duct tape even works well in a pinch. We wanted some privacy from our neighbor as well. We simply installed a 3 meter high privacy shield made from square post and slats of shera wood bolted onto the border wall.  Works fine except for the time it blew over in very high winds. Bent the iron post right over. Impressive display of physics. So just make sure it is structurally sound and you'll be fine.

Also, horror of horrors, have you thought about actuall TALKING to your neighbor about this and finding out why they installed the cameras?  Perhaps they can be adjusted slightly to resolve your privacy concerns.  Are you really so beautiful and interesting that you think someone intentionally wants to spy on you?

• Like 2

On 7/7/2020 at 8:24 PM, Crossy said:

That is a half-hearted effort. I would go the full hog and shine a 24/7 laser into the camera.

On 7/7/2020 at 8:37 PM, Crossy said:

The modern illuminators are completely invisible to humans and most animals, but to CCTV cameras they are like the sun

You can easily see IF illuminators with your phone camera.

• Like 1

Years ago where our neighbours in the old country would look directly into our rooms, I would purchase some opaque film and put it on the lower part of the double hung sash glass window, i.e. half of the glass pane, they couldn't see in anymore, only from the upper part, e.g. ceilings, and the opaque film still allows natural light in, so easy to apply and take off if you ever wanted to take it off.

Below is a sample and below that is a window with it on, you can buy it online.

Amazon.com: Privacy Window Film: Translucent Static Cling ...

Window Privacy Film Products

Edited by 4MyEgo