Regular haunts that survived

aussiexpat

20 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Didn't even know Big Horn was closed.  Beefeater seems to do OK.

If by OK you mean sometimes it has a few customers in, yes. Them, Patrick's and Longhorn, I don't know how any of them survive. But that also goes for most places in Pattaya. 

27 minutes ago, rott said:

If by OK you mean sometimes it has a few customers in, yes. Them, Patrick's and Longhorn, I don't know how any of them survive. But that also goes for most places in Pattaya. 

Perhaps they are reasonably well capitalized and and have low overhead. 

Not likely landlords that didn't want you out anyway are not going to work with a decent tenant.

You can't get blood from a turnip...

5 hours ago, rott said:

Passing by they seem to get more customers than the competition, and carry a reasonable reputation.

8 hours ago, luckyluke said:

Wednesday noon, Diana Arcade, exactly 1 customer in the all place( at Kiss), one visitor ( me). 

Saw the works at Don Pepe ( ex  Big Horn) doesn't seem the owner is sparing money on the rebuilding. 

Came from Witerspoons Beach Road, where I was the only customer too, till a couple (Thai/foreigner) came in and went to the upperfloor. 

Sad situation. 

Where is Witerspoons Beach Road?

3 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

I am not very good in explaining,

at the end of Pattaya Klang, on the corner.

Thanks... I live here and fail to see so much!

I guess the North corner,  as passed the south one this week.

Edited by jacko45k

8 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Thanks... I live here and fail to see so much!

I guess the North corner,  as passed the south one this week.

This is new, it was in that Nick YouTuber video a week ago, it's big, will obviously make losses until tourists return, maybe he has low rent

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

This is new, it was in that Nick YouTuber video a week ago, it's big, will obviously make losses until tourists return, maybe he has low rent

Just looked on Google Maps and guess that it is behind the metal sheet fencing, dated Jan 2019 being constructed.

Great spot upstairs for the fireworks!

Edited by jacko45k

Witherspoons on the beach looks great. Should become pretty popular once tourists return.

I really liked Witherspoons for sport and food years ago but replaced it with Irish Rovers and Retox Game on in the last few years. New place being on the beach would change that ????

Last night about 8.30 Beefeater and Patrick's were as busy as I've ever seen them, Longhorn not the same. 

A short while ago Beefeater was the same again, but not much at the other two. 

Very surprising, to me anyway. 

31 minutes ago, rott said:

Last night about 8.30 Beefeater and Patrick's were as busy as I've ever seen them, Longhorn not the same. 

A short while ago Beefeater was the same again, but not much at the other two. 

Very surprising, to me anyway. 

Not surprising to me. Even going back to the days when I was a tourist, Beefeater was most peoples first choice. Always had to wait for a table. Patricks was somewhere to go if you couldn't wait. I don't know anyone who has ever eaten in Longhorn.

• Like 2

On 11/12/2020 at 11:06 PM, jacko45k said:

Well thanks for your input but I feel very confident the big bus pulled into a place just past Tops.... I recall a girl getting annoyed as I pointed my case out with my foot there. And it most certainly pulled off the main rd as it could turn around in front of the hotel. Always figured the hotel was pushing to get people to check in there. Perhaps pre-bus station a few places got used.  Or my memory is addled. I still think it was the Nipa Lodge, which is now the Basaya Beach Hotel & Resort.

Thanks for your response. Have no doubt that your noted experience is a genuine memory. I do recall that a number of private companies operated the Bangkok-Pattaya service and the Nipa Hotel link may well have been one such option.

My memory is linked with the Ekamai bus terminal to Pattaya service with the Pattaya end being as I noted. I have a distinct memory of catching the bus at Pattaya in 1988 when my departure coincided with the Seoul Olympics 100m final and the infamous Ben Johnson drug ban. I managed to catch the final live on TV before boarding the bus. Also recall that the bus, to reach 2nd Road, needed to ascend a bit of a hill from the bus park before heading to North Road and then onto Sukhumvit. That also seems to match with the topography at the north end of Beach Road, rather than the flatter Klang area.

Looking back I do wish I had taken more photos of my earlier trips to Pattaya (plus many other places) rather than having now to depend on a memory that is nowadays more prone to fail.:biggrin:  

Anyway, thanks for allowing me  to think back to what I always consider to be the best days of my long connection to Pattaya. Cheers.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2020 at 6:06 AM, jacko45k said:
On 11/12/2020 at 5:22 PM, dabhand said:

That's what I recall from my first visit to Pattaya in 1981 and numerous visits thereafter until having a permanent base from 1987.

Well thanks for your input but I feel very confident the big bus pulled into a place just past Tops.... I recall a girl getting annoyed as I pointed my case out with my foot there. And it most certainly pulled off the main rd as it could turn around in front of the hotel. Always figured the hotel was pushing to get people to check in there. Perhaps pre-bus station a few places got used.  Or my memory is addled. I still think it was the Nipa Lodge, which is now the Basaya Beach Hotel & Resort.

Before the bus station was build on Nua road, it was in Second road Soi 1, which is just before Tiffany's

On 11/13/2020 at 4:10 PM, aussiexpat said:

Witherspoons on the beach looks great. Should become pretty popular once tourists return.

I really liked Witherspoons for sport and food years ago but replaced it with Irish Rovers and Retox Game on in the last few years. New place being on the beach would change that ????

I had never associated the one on Buakhao with cheap food but I see that this one is advertising a 99 baht breakfast. 

The upstairs bit does look an interesting place to sit. 

On 11/15/2020 at 2:18 PM, polpott said:

Not surprising to me. Even going back to the days when I was a tourist, Beefeater was most peoples first choice. Always had to wait for a table. Patricks was somewhere to go if you couldn't wait. I don't know anyone who has ever eaten in Longhorn.

Harrumph.!!! 

Patrick was well known to us in Soi Yamato in the olden days, so he would always be first choice. The names of the other places put me off, sounded a bit like franchise gaffs. 

24 minutes ago, rott said:

Harrumph.!!! 

Patrick was well known to us in Soi Yamato in the olden days, so he would always be first choice. The names of the other places put me off, sounded a bit like franchise gaffs. 

The people have spoken. Beefeater usually full, Patricks usually half empty. Ate in Patricks a few months ago. Shocking meal. Called Patrick over and asked him to try it. He agreed with me and knocked it off the bill. Won't be eating there again.

7 hours ago, rott said:

I had never associated the one on Buakhao with cheap food but I see that this one is advertising a 99 baht breakfast. 

I walk past often yet rarely do I see anyone in the place....can it survive...doubt it very much :sorry:

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, rott said:

Might help if the new Witherspoons has better service. I found the servers previously more than usually lackadaisical and gruff. Location was good, though, for watching the Soi Buakhao farang royalty attempting to negotiate the pavements and avoid being run over.

I've only ever set foot in the place once. To be fair it was in the small hours, there were I think 3 staff on and they were oblivious to my presence. I wondered how long it would take them to lift their heads from their phones and notice me. After about 3 minutes I left them to it. 

On 11/18/2020 at 9:03 AM, polpott said:

The people have spoken. Beefeater usually full, Patricks usually half empty. Ate in Patricks a few months ago. Shocking meal. Called Patrick over and asked him to try it. He agreed with me and knocked it off the bill. Won't be eating there again.

I spoke to someone who said he had a good meal there last week, but do hear odd negative reports, problems with consistency. When I walked past Wed. Beefeater was the most popular. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

On 11/15/2020 at 8:36 AM, Susco said:

Before the bus station was build on Nua road, it was in Second road Soi 1, which is just before Tiffany's

yeah i remember it being there around 2003? must have moved shortly after that?

On 11/18/2020 at 9:03 AM, polpott said:

I would have thought that a response like that from the boss would a good reason to go back.

I know he changed supplier not soon after the lockdown was released.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SidJames said:

I would have thought that a response like that from the boss would a good reason to go back.

I know he changed supplier not soon after the lockdown was released.

It was his chef that was the problem, not the supplier.