Modifying headlights can cost motorists up to Bt50,000 in fines

webfact

Modifying headlights can cost motorists up to Bt50,000 in fines

By THE NATION

800_935db175ae39809.jpg?v=1606202402

Motorists who have modified their headlights or taillights may face fines of up to Bt50,000, the Department of Land Transport warned recently.

“We have received complaints via the 1584 hotline about people’s visibility being affected by headlights and taillights that have been modified to be too bright, flashing or in colours other than those specified by law, such as blue,” said Jantira Buruspat, deputy director-general.

“Such modifications go against the 1979 Vehicle Act, which stipulates a maximum penalty of Bt2,000 if the vehicle’s equipment fails to meet legal requirements. It also violates the 1979 Land Transport Act, which stipulates a maximum penalty of Bt50,000 for adding objects to vehicles that can harm other people’s physical or mental health,” she added.

Jantira said Land Transport Offices in all provinces as well as certified vehicle inspection centres have been instructed to strictly screen vehicles for modifications when motorists come in for licence renewal or yearly inspection.

“Owners of vehicles that fail to meet requirements will be told to rectify their equipment before their licence is renewed or vehicle inspected,” she said. “We are also working with police by getting officers to randomly inspect vehicles at selected checkpoints. Officials can immediately press charges if any vehicles are found with modified headlights or taillights.”

Photos or video clips of vehicles with modified lights can be sent to Line ID @1584DLT, Facebook @dlt1584, http://ins.dlt.go.th/cmpweb/ or via email: [email protected], along with licence number and date and time the pictures were taken.

160614552363.jpg

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30398502

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-11-24

• Haha 2

I just enjoy the cars that drive at night that have all of the neon on the undercarriage and across the grills, then add in the strobe effect blue headlights, and the lights inside the front windshield that flash outwards as well.  Makes me think it is a rolling disco or gogo.....The same with the tricked out motors I have seen with all of the flashing strobe lights.1, but the best ones are the Tuk Tuk's. Image result for Photos of strobe lights and neon lights on vehicles in Bangkok Thailand

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Tyler Visan said:

Can you imagine the mentality of the person who drives such a bus. Thicko!    

It is the ultimate party bus.  Once at your destination they set up the stage with the GoGo poles and the Coyotes entertain you at each of the temples they drive you too.

• Haha 1

Can we add police cars that have their emergency lights activated driving along a main road at 40 km/hr to this list? 

Does a cd mounted to the back of a motorsai count as a rear light?

What lighting modifications are cows and kwai walking along the road required to have? 

What about school zones that are surrounded by a mile of flashing lights along the road that are strobing all night?

Roadside restaurants? 

• Like 2

Mrs Nan's best mate's husband has been warning me for the best part of a year already about how my truck lights are going to give me a pile of grief with the MiB. I replaced the H4 headlights with LED's when I bought it new five years ago and made sure I bought quality, street-legal ones when overseas. Although bright white (6000k), they aren't like some of the dazzling blue-white (8000k) that seems very popular with the locals. The problem is that the local market is flooded with cheap, badly manufactured Chinese imports and less than clever installers who do stuff like leave reflectors in when bodging an HID lighting upgrade. The most expensive upgrades and the ones that give a native 8000k light are HID but LED's are far cheaper, hence the horrible, unfocused and glaring blue-white that's so annoying, especially on a bloody motorbike going the wrong way on your hard shoulder.

I also added a 24" flood bar which only gets used momentarily when I meet one of the buses pictured earlier while on a night run. It's mounted down low and not across the roof like I've seen some wannabe 'roo shooters do here. Mine doesn't seem to affect the regular traffic cops inattention.

The other issue is hyper-flashing amber turn signals since once again, uneducated installers don't add the resistor packs to fool the vehicles CANBUS electrics that there's a non-filament bulb in  the socket. Put a cheap hyper-flashing amber behind a smoked perspex cover and it's as invisible as the stop lights. Almost.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Motorists who have modified their headlights

Headlights .! What headlights .. 

By all accounts travel in Thailand is a cultural connection .. that might let you experience first hand the mortality rates of the 19th century ..

IMG_20201124_085858_20201124090545524.jpg

• Haha 2

Regularly pass about 5 market  stallholder salengs on way home from Prachuap , they travel in convoy on a badly or mostly not lit minor road, but one that carries a fair bit of traffic

You might have guessed

Not a light of any colour to be seen

1 hour ago, AlfHuy said:

Out of my way.

A94253EA-0352-4443-88A9-2AEC67476990_4_5005_c.jpeg

Need a Trailer full of batteries to run that many lights, wonder if there are solar panels on the roof to charge them up before nightfall.  I could just imaging forgetting to keep the bus running and having the lights on.  "Come on you Tourists, push the bus so I can bump start it using the clutch"

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I hope the include those ones with "Blacked out" rear lights.

I mean how stupid can they get.

regards worgeordie

I have seen a motorcycle with a red headlight on a rainy/poor visability day ! I thought he was travelling away from me until I realised ! Amazing Thailand.

Edited by findlay13
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, webfact said:

motorists come in for licence renewal or yearly inspection.

False news. Many Thai drivers do not have a licence.  Those that do renew, do so without going anywhere near the test centre unless the vehicle is over 7 years old (if they remember when they bought it.)

A yearly inspection? They don't change their oil yearly!

What of all the vehicles that have been modified so few of the lights work to save 'wearing out' the battery?

What of the dumbos who affix sets of flashing lights atop their pickups to pretend they are emergency vehicles?

What of the owners of look-at-me bikes who put holes in their exhaust to make it noisier?

Before anything like this can take place, first you need a police force.

• Like 2