Thailand bans food and drink on domestic flights

Jonathan Fairfield

Thailand bans food and drink on domestic flights

2019_04_04_69220_1554374706._large.jpg

File photo

Food and drink has been banned on domestic flights in Thailand in order to help prevent  the spread of coronavirus.

The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand issued the order to airlines on Tuesday. 

“It is forbidden to eat and drink during flight operations. In the event of an emergency or necessary Crew may consider providing drinking water to passengers, which is to be done in an area as far away from the other passengers as possible”, the order states. 

Newspapers, magazines and advertising brochures are also banned, but in flight safety related documents are  permitted.

The order comes into effect on 31 December until further notice.

In addition, all crew and passengers must wear face masks at all times.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-12-30

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I thought this had already been done.  The last I flew in October they were not serving refreshments or such on Bangkok Airways, you went to the lounge before the flight and ate it there.

Thaismile:

Yes. There was a time when nothing served.

And then they restarted to serve snacks/drinks.

Now back to zero.

At the last arrival on Dec 16 the snack and water was handed when disembarking at the door. No service during flight (already).

16 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I thought this had already been done.  The last I flew in October they were not serving refreshments or such on Bangkok Airways, you went to the lounge before the flight and ate it there.

Hot meals were certainly available for purchase on our Air Asia flight from Udon Thani to Hua Hin last month, that was in addition to the pre-booked meals that were dished out. 

I am missing the connection with airline food causing Covid infection.  Airline food has caused me other disturbances of the gastrointestinal nature in the past but never considered that Covid could be lurking in the sandwich and bottled water Air Asia gave me last week.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, chilli42 said:

I am missing the connection with airline food causing Covid infection.  Airline food has caused me other disturbances of the gastrointestinal nature in the past but never considered that Covid could be lurking in the sandwich and bottled water Air Asia gave me last week.

Because you have to take off your mask to eat and drink.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

“It is forbidden to eat and drink during flight operations. In the event of an emergency or necessary Crew may consider providing drinking water to passengers, which is to be done in an area as far away from the other passengers as possible”, the order states. 

I'd have thought drinking from a bottle with a straw while wearing a mask is pretty safe??

This is almost industry standard right now at most major airlines.

To address a couple of previous posts, it's not the food that's the issue, but mask wearing.

This was addressed in one of our Delta covid training sessions.

Since you are required to wear face covering for the duration of a flight, with the exception of the brief time required to eat or drink, the thinking is limit the amount of stuff to be consumed, hence more mask time.

Just get used to it people, it's gonna be the norm for a while yet!

• Like 1