Obtaining a Yellow Tabien Baan - The making of an epic!

In my case they wanted the death certificates of my parents for some strange reason. It was going to stop there until I stood up to walk out, so they relented.

Never had to send the papers "somewhere" as the boss signed them on the spot after interviewing me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Crossy said:

He's now in "I'll get this document if it kills me" mode!!

And, once he finally gets it, what are the chances that it will end up in some drawer gathering dust over the coming years?

OP,

Brutal.

I sympathize with your experience.

I grabbed my landlord, my translated passport, approved by F.A.M., she ( the landlord) called the puyai Baan and arranged the entire process.

We both dressed in business casual.

In and out in 45mins. Card was instantaneous...  book was a few days in the mail.

• Like 1

When I got mine, I first went to the Ampur office with wifey to find out what was required. They were extremely helpful and showed some examples of other farangs paperwork who had previously done this. Pain in the <deleted> for me was the trip from Buriram to Wireless Road to get a special letter. It was done on the spot but it didn't look anything like the example I was shown. The letter basically said I am who I say I am and was more like a prepared form. I had to get it translated into Thai. Back to the Ampur office and, in the company of the Kamnan, everything was sorted in ten minutes. Went back a few hours later for the nice shiny new yellow Tabien Baan. Nobody at the Ampur office wanted any money but wifey gave the girl 20 Baht.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Not easy to get the yellow book in Phuket, 10,000 baht, I didn't pay it, it was a friend like already said it ends up in the drawer with all the other junk

Outrageous - thats just ‘graft’... there is no official charge for the Yellow Tabien Baan.

Thats an Amphur officer who saw $$$ signs when you walked in. 

IF you really want the Yellow Tabien Baan Book - Get the required documentation together and make an appointment, remain calm - I can’t see how they can say no (officially).

IF you want, you will win on this one, if you can be bothered to push it. 

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Outrageous - thats just ‘graft’... there is no official charge for the Yellow Tabien Baan.

Thats an Amphur officer who saw $$$ signs when you walked in. 

IF you really want the Yellow Tabien Baan Book - Get the required documentation together and make an appointment, remain calm - I can’t see how they can say no (officially).

IF you want, you will win on this one, if you can be bothered to push it. 

Im not bothered to be honest with you, But the woman at the Ampour said farang pay more for a retirement visa so 10k no ploblem

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

And, once he finally gets it, what are the chances that it will end up in some drawer gathering dust over the coming years?

Same as mine, although I didn't have to jump through hoops. Just a translation of the P/P face page and all done in twenty minutes. I have a PDF copy I use for Immigration so the yellow book goes nowhere.

Obtaining a Yellow Tabien Baan - The making of an epic! 

That's a bit of a drama .

I got mine years ago ,just filled in 2 Documents there and then offered an Donation 1/2 Hr done didn't need to get anything,no birth certificate or nothing. Never bothered with the Pink card.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, stubuzz said:

I thought a marriage certificate could be used in place of a certified passport copy.

That would make perfect sense if all they are after is the ‘official’ translation of your name. 

I was asked for an MFA approved translation of a notarised copy of my passport (ID page). I can’t remember if they also asked for our marriage certificate, which if I’m not mistaken is not relevant, we can officially reside at said abode whether married or not. 

On 3/11/2021 at 11:41 AM, Crossy said:

As a follow on the my last thread on the subject, here :- https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1189797-registering-a-uk-marriage-in-thailand-the-madness-continues/

My friend has reported the latest (lack of) progress.

A couple of weeks back he went to the ampur office with his (not cheap) stack of documents to get a Yellow Book (list in the previous thread).

As usual the office wasn't particularly busy and they were in and out in an hour and a half.

Highlights;- No real issues other than having to point out his parents names on his (translated) birth certificate (labelled as Mother's Name and Father's Name) and confusion over the "No Trace" on his criminal record check (which they seemed to interpret as "this person doesn't exist").

Anyway. At the end of the session he was sent away with "Big Boss not here, we will call when we want you to come in again".

Day before yesterday they got the call and attended yesterday accompanied by another witness (not the same person as last time was the instruction).

They were there for 2.5 hours, most of which was spent watching a LOT of typing into the computer interspersed with signing papers in Thai, and confirming where he worked and their earlier address in Thailand. 

End result - We need to talk to puyai-baan, he will come tomorrow, and we have to send these papers somewhere (it was unclear where the "somewhere" is).

He's now in "I'll get this document if it kills me" mode!!

why on earth do you bother?I can't think of a single thing that makes it worthwhile. However if you get the pink ID card. that is really useful and almost essential if you are using government hospitals

6 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

In my case they wanted the death certificates of my parents for some strange reason. It was going to stop there until I stood up to walk out, so they relented.

Never had to send the papers "somewhere" as the boss signed them on the spot after interviewing me.

Now I understand your Avatar. 555555

Just goes to show how different Amphur look for different things.

Doi Saket needed passport and copy, marriage and copy, wife blue book and copy.

Had to show up on the same day - but not necessarily the same time - Phu Yai Baan, one witness other than a family member.

Done. Picked up next day. Pink ID card then and there.

This was 5+ years ago and has been of use ever since.

Those who say they can see no use for it have never had one and seen it in action.

I must have been lucky with mine. Took 2 witnesses, village head and Thai partner with me, as instructed. Interview was all in Thai with my partner, I just had to sit there. All paperwork signed and yellow book issued within 1 hour Then applied for pink ID card, paid 60 baht for that, photo taken, card issued and that process only took 30 minutes. A friend went to the same office and his took 3 days. So I guess it all depends on the time and day you attend and how busy the staff are.

I'm wondering if this roundabout process with so many documents, translations, notaries, etc., is usual in the countryside. In Bangkok, our khet didn't need much. Very straightforward but, yes, years ago. My only worry is losing yellow book & pink card & having to replace them. Might not be so easy now.

3 hours ago, gamini said:

why on earth do you bother?I can't think of a single thing that makes it worthwhile. However if you get the pink ID card. that is really useful and almost essential if you are using government hospitals

Because it is easy and (mostly) painless.

3 hours ago, gamini said:

Isn't the  Tabian baan useful to prove your address when you want to extend your driver's license? No need to get residence certificate from immigration,  which in Bangkok is a pain in  the ...

• Like 2

Am going through this now in Samutprakan, what a pain in the butt.

The wife checked with the Amphur what documents were needed so off i went into BKK, all sorted and then translated and certified by MFA.

Submit documents and lady says they have to send them to MFA to be checked, you can't make this nonsense up can you.

Anyway deep breath, leave and wait for the call. Am sure it will be worth it ????

• Like 2