Officials involved in adultery or sexual harassment to be suspended without pay

webfact

So what was the situation like until now ? were the aforementioned people's action were just ignored and their nefarious deeds were just glossed over or ignored i wonder?...  

Edited by ezzra
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

So what was the situation like until now ? were the aforementioned people's action were just ignored and their nefarious deeds were just glossed over or ignored i wonder?...  

Cold>cool>warm>warmer>hot> bingo..... you got it right.

• Like 1

Let me get the popcorn, yet another showtime element in the never-ending merry-go-round of Thai ideas. 

You cannot arrest 75% of the male population and adultery is a private affair, not related to the performance at work to start with.

But, like absolutely everything else in the land of funny ideas, this will go down as a no-brainer, if there are elements of enforcement then the envelopes changing hands game will be on for a while again. 

It is too bad they didn't start this a few years back   My wife's oldest brother was one of those.... Now he is retired but still an 'ex' RTP <deleted> in Korat....

And then you saw those few in the news on TV Forum recently about RTP killing wives/girlfriends (one burning her body with car tires)...

This stuff goes on all around the world, BUT it seems Thailand has more than their share, with Gov't officials, as my wife's RTP brother, receiving money from traffic stops,  and other 'officials' collecting 'brown envelopes'......

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Thailand currently is number 1 (Hip hip horray) in the adultery world cup with 56% of married men committing adultery.

If they seriously roll this out then they could lose 56% of their male employees !

Maybe. Firstly, I seriously doubt there is a provision for suspension without pay in Thai employment law, same as there isn't in UK law. Might be wrong in which case a more-law-savvy member can steer me in the right direction. An indicatot of this was that Big Joke got a window seat on full pay for transgression which has never stated but which was assumed to be significant - definitely more significant than adultery or sexual harassment.

Secondly, as Richard rightly points out, adultery is an expected fact in Thai society. It's related to the concept of face. Roughly speaking the more mia nois you have, the more powerful you are assumed to be. Sad but true. It's worth remembering that entire society the psychology of the male of the species revolves around the stomach and the organ directly south of stomach. Also, sad but true.

• Like 1

Well my second marriage/divorce taught me (though I already knew in the abstract) that in no-fault CA adultery is not even a term that exists in the legal lexicon. This is the way advanced societies are or at least should be. But research has indicated to me that "for fault" divorces are possible in Thailand, and adultery is an accepted plea. 

In any case, if this new approach were to stick, there would be a fire sale on mia noi (no plural forms in Thai, right?). I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by Enzian
clarification

12 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Thailand currently is number 1 (Hip hip horray) in the adultery world cup with 56% of married men committing adultery.

If they seriously roll this out then they could lose 56% of their male employees !

So sometimes good things happen. ???? 

3 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

It is in most militaries so I would be surprised for it to be so for Government employees (except in California)

I think it is still on the books in NY.

Only or last place

This raises a few questions.

What is 'sufficient evidence'?

Will this apply to women as well?

How far up the government chain will this go and will any groups be exempt such as higher up in the police and military?

Whilst I can see the reasoning behind this in regards to sexual harassment is adultery in the same league. It's obviously distressing if you're on the wrong end of it (unless maybe you're also adulterous) but is it that frowned upon in Thailand?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ukrules said:

I didn't realise that 'committing' adultery is in any way a crime.

It's not, is it?

In Thailand yes or so they think  although "think" is a major stretch..... 

10 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Let me get the popcorn, yet another showtime element in the never-ending merry-go-round of Thai ideas. 

You cannot arrest 75% of the male population and adultery is a private affair, not related to the performance at work to start with.

But, like absolutely everything else in the land of funny ideas, this will go down as a no-brainer, if there are elements of enforcement then the envelopes changing hands game will be on for a while again. 

If you are going to arrest 75% of the male population  how about the second part of the duo, or isn't there a second party involved?