Thailand reports 3,995 new COVID-19 cases, 42 more deaths

Jonathan Fairfield

Just now, anchadian said:

BP are reporting that the first case of the BETA variant (SA), has been found in Bangkok.

oops, if one then many more, its a fight between Alpha, Delta and Beta, with Alpha and Delta more contagious but Beta just as dangerous due to its overwhelming ability to reduce vaccine effectiveness.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, anchadian said:

BP are reporting that the first case of the BETA variant (SA), has been found in Bangkok.

Best tell it that it's in a Red Zone. No travel to another province permitted.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, anchadian said:

So the Alpha variant now joins the Beta and Delta Variants along with the original CV-19 from Wuhan.  Bangkok being surrounded on all sides and yet still able to hit the malls, travel through a checkpoint and vanish into the wide open, except for those places in other provinces that have installed mandatory testing and quarantine.  Be safe.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Best tell it that it's in a Red Zone. No travel to another province permitted.

Oh but you can still travel outwards and inwards, just have to tell them at the checkpoint, if there truly are checkpoints what they need to hear.  But then it is too late many many many people fled this past weekend, and many others were in the stores stocking up.  I thought our two baskets were large but saw many other families loaded up as if expecting a siege.

A post in violation of fair use policy has been removed:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

9 hours ago, James105 said:

Not everyone here is vulnerable to the virus though.    The average age of death from this is 82 in the UK, one year older than death from any cause.   I’m not saying its zero risk for healthy people under 60, but it is close enough to zero risk not to be particularly concerned about it.    Everyone I know in my family in the UK that has had it, and some are opposite to young and healthy,  lived to tell the tale and most only knew they had it when they were told so by a test.   

I’m sure people do have responsibilities here, but if I was that worried about it then I would do something about it that was within my control,  even if that something was an expensive, annoying hassle.  

Let’s talk about mortality from the Delta variant which is the fastest growing in Thailand…….

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Travel restrictions

Are you heading to Udon Thani? If you come from 22 high risk provinces, it is now compulsory to do 14 day quarantine on arrival in state accommodation. Home quarantine is no longer allowed

If you heading to Chiang Mai from provinces in the dark red zone you must do a swab test on arrival, even if vaccinated. If you live there you must do 14 day quarantine at home. Others must pay for ALQ quarantine. The message is clear, only travel if your journey is necessary.

Is your journey really necessary? If you live in the dark red zone (Bangkok, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Samut Prakan, Samut Sakhon, Nakhon Pathom, Songkhla, Yala, Pattani & Narathiwat) you are encouraged to stay within your province for at least another month

Are you going to Khorat (Nakhon Ratchasima) from the dark red or red zones? If so, you must go to Maharaj Hospital for a COVID test on arrival and then quarantine for 24 hours while waiting for the results. The message is clear, only travel if necessary

Hmm, I was intending to fly to Udon early next month. But of course transit in Bangkok. I’ll have to find out if I can still go. State quarantine is out of the question naturally.

as a separate thought, I wonder how many people will catch Covid in “state quarantine”?