Overseas tourists finally roam free on Thai island of Phuket

webfact

4 minutes ago, Excel said:

Whilst I agree mostly with what you say I do take exception yo one part of it namely; "but why treat Phuket any different than Bangkok"

My view and those of many others, foreigners and Thais, is that no specific area should be treated differently.  There is nothing special about those that live in Bangkok or Phuket compared to people elsewhere. There are those at risk everywhere throughout the country

note on the edit -when posted part of the text came out in darker font ?? not my doing but it is easier to read

I do agree with your sentiments 100%, I just used Bangkok as a catch all based upon how full hospitals are and how many of the cases are here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

It is rather extreme why someone would vaccinate younger healthier people before the elderly and the vulnerable.Had they vaccinated the elderly and vulnerable groups they could have opened up the same because the elderly and vulnerable would be protected which was supposed to be the plan from the beginning.Do you think the way they have done it is a good idea to let the elderly and vulnerable to be left to die so they can open?They could have vaccinated the elderly and vulnerable in the same time and opened about the same time.   

This post has zero to do with the topic of this thread. You're derailing a interesting thread so you can have a rant about vaccines. Isn't it a coincidence that all the people who want to keep foreigners out of Thailand are currently in Thailand themselves?

5 minutes ago, nkg said:

This post has zero to do with the topic of this thread. You're derailing a interesting thread so you can have a rant about vaccines. Isn't it a coincidence that all the people who want to keep foreigners out of Thailand are currently in Thailand themselves?

I will agree to disagree with your sentiment as the post you responded to does not derail the topic as it discusses the reason why the Sandbox opened, vaccinations, while also discussing where those vaccines could have been used, and the same outcome obtained by opening the sandbox up without vaccinating the island.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I will agree to disagree with your sentiment as the post you responded to does not derail the topic as it discusses the reason why the Sandbox opened, vaccinations, while also discussing where those vaccines could have been used, and the same outcome obtained by opening the sandbox up without vaccinating the island.

He's posted almost exactly the same thing on several other threads - look at his recent posts. When you go around various different boards on a forum repeating the same thing on each one, it's usually called "trolling".

I would much rather hear some interesting trip reports from people on the Phuket Forum than some anti-Phuket, anti-tourist ranting. He obviously feels entitled to copy and paste his views on Phuket vaccines on dozens of different threads.

I'm sure he'll pop up again soon on the "Which beach in Phuket would you recommend" thread with another angry diatribe (smile)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jennyau said:

So what! The mob here that aren't even in Phuket continually quoting the whole island is dead and nothing is open blah blah blah. It's not at all. Yes certain parts are all closed up of course, the island runs on tourism, but the constant rubbish rolled out on this site that Phuket is done and dusted is rubbish. You think in 4 days the island is going to be full of tourists?? Just ridiculous. Planes are coming and there are people coming. Tourist, expats returning who cares, it's generating income into Phuket and creating jobs. That is what this is all about. 

Boat avenue and other places have been packed since many months. It's all expats. So what? We are on a topic that discusses the comeback of tourists and your post has nothing to do with it since there is none! 

12 minutes ago, nkg said:

The topic of the thread is about tourists being free to roam around Phuket to which I expressed my disgust and stated my reasons for my disgust you on the other hand have gone off topic and are ranting about people being off topic and have in no way addressed the topic of the thread.

• Like 2

On 7/3/2021 at 4:34 AM, Albert Zweistein said:

Postcard-perfect beaches, don't exaggerate. Never seen the filt on the beach and in the water during pre pandemic times ?

When we visited in May this year, the northern beaches were a bit scruffy, but most of the tourist beaches like Kata Nai Harn etc. were nice and Patong it has to be said with it's army of early morning cleaners was pristine.

2 hours ago, nkg said:

He's posted almost exactly the same thing on several other threads - look at his recent posts. When you go around various different boards on a forum repeating the same thing on each one, it's usually called "trolling".

I would much rather hear some interesting trip reports from people on the Phuket Forum than some anti-Phuket, anti-tourist ranting. He obviously feels entitled to copy and paste his views on Phuket vaccines on dozens of different threads.

I'm sure he'll pop up again soon on the "Which beach in Phuket would you recommend" thread with another angry diatribe (smile)

I am fully in support of Phuket opening up as soon as possible but feel a better and morally acceptable way to do it would be to vaccinate the elderly and vulnerable first as the was promised by the Thai administration instead they have gone against that promise and have left the elderly and vulnerable to suffer the consequences of that decision, it is this that I'm voicing my concerns about.You have made some baseless and inflammatory accusations that I'm anti Phuket and anti tourist when in fact I have enjoyed Phuket as a tourist and one of my best friends runs a business there which I still frequent, so it would appear that you are incorrect in your accusations.If you are in favour of this reprehensible Phuket scam parading as a scheme you are quite entitled to express such views and I feel I should be entitled to do the same should I feel the desire to do so. 

3 hours ago, zzzzz said:

the 1,000,000 or so vacs hardly means the rest of the country does without>

They need re start tourism and the economy somewhere, and where better than an island set up flor tourism?

The leadership screwed up putting all their eggs in one basket, ( locally produced vaccine)

and not ordering more from outside

I don't recall say "the rest of the country does without" but 1 million jabs would go a long way the vaccinating the elderly and vulnerable, about 500,000 of them in fact.I fully agree that re-starting tourism is a high priority, just not at the expense of the elderly and vulnerable which Prayuth promised he would prioritise.I feel a better and more morally acceptable way of opening the tourist sector would be to vaccinate the elderly and vulnerable first and not leave them to the mercy of the virus unvaccinated whilst people enjoy Phuket.People are now dying whilst otherwise healthy and not so vulnerable have been vaccinated.I hope you can appreciate this fact.It's being said that many more may die unvaccinated if you are ok with this that's your choice, but it's not how I think it should be done.

• Like 2

On 7/3/2021 at 9:10 AM, bojo said:

Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today........................... Smartphones aren't all expensive and can save you money, even make you money..................................... The sooner you get one, the eaiser and more informative your 21st Century life will be........................

Throw them away and live life in reality instead of plugging yourself in and becoming a telephone zombie.......

On 7/2/2021 at 10:04 PM, RichardColeman said:

The fact the photo shows only 2 people in the entire hotel speaks volumes

2021-07-02T191232Z_1_LYNXNPEH6114E_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND-PHUKET.JPG

On 7/3/2021 at 3:24 AM, pagallim said:

OK, I've just seen a pictorial guide to the arrival process, which some might find useful or interesting.  The last one is probably room service in a hotel.

201782349_281259007081356_1641105348314196183_n.jpg

209202541_281258943748029_8996536230379776099_n.jpg

202051241_281258840414706_9040458991280157705_n.jpg

202981210_281258767081380_4861380056853052374_n.jpg

201079496_281258857081371_3035284720939373068_n.jpg

212736826_281258593748064_1688553942561938656_n.jpg

202545458_281259063748017_7778654518536116164_n.jpg

211957649_281258993748024_8897266780356482511_n.jpg

203455567_281258667081390_1258754636355038057_n.jpg

202205913_281258923748031_207332549485316068_n.jpg

201401108_281258787081378_7789743084126049572_n.jpg

202519576_281258600414730_7169619228616143169_n.jpg

Got to say, there's some nice pointing going on in the photos. Makes the Thais look like amateurs ????

It's not for me (I like the nightlife too much) but I can see how the quietness appeals to some.

Edited by Chelseafan

2 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I don't recall say "the rest of the country does without" but 1 million jabs would go a long way the vaccinating the elderly and vulnerable, about 500,000 of them in fact.

Over 10.23-million vaccine jabs have been given out thus far in Thailand ... and Phuket as of today 392,008 1-jab (84%) and 312,187 2-jabs (67%).   So clearly some number over 9-million jabs have been given outside of Phuket.   Over 9-million other jabs for the elderly and people in urgent/essential areas.  

I think those numbers suggest Phuket did not takeaway jabs from the elderly. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oldcpu said:

Over 10.23-million vaccine jabs have been given out thus far in Thailand ... and Phuket as of today 392,008 1-jab (84%) and 312,187 2-jabs (67%).   So clearly some number over 9-million jabs have been given outside of Phuket.   Over 9-million other jabs for the elderly and people in urgent/essential areas.  

Of those 9 million you say were available, many were shuffled to the prisons, and cluster areas such as Klong Toei and the surrounding areas with other clusters, thus leaving many million of elderly and medically vulnerable without the vaccine needed, so in essence the vaccines given to Phuket could/may have helped the vulnerable.  Unfortunately, your just making an excuse to try and validate the numbers in Phuket vaccinated.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Of those 9 million you say were available, many were shuffled to the prisons, and cluster areas such as Klong Toei and the surrounding areas with other clusters, thus leaving many million of elderly and medically vulnerable without the vaccine needed, so in essence the vaccines given to Phuket could/may have helped the vulnerable.  Unfortunately, your just making an excuse to try and validate the numbers in Phuket vaccinated.

Your numbers (or should I say lack of) don't add up.  Show me your numbers.   My understanding is there are less than 400,000 in Thai prisons. Likely after vaccinating Phuket and the Thai prisons, there were still over 9-million jabs given.

The many elderly who were not jabbed is unfortunate , but its not due to the policy to give Phuket priority - its clearly due to other reasons.

Show me some numbers to backup your assertions which I believe a wrong interpretation.  I have shown you mine.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

312,187 x 2 = 624374 +392008 = 1,016,382 Phuket took 1 million jabs away from elderly and vulnerable people outside of Phuket.I have an 80 year old mother in law and know many older and vulnerable people in my area who definitely deserve the vaccine than younger healthier people in Phuket so I'd have to disagree.I think most of the 9 million would be those living in and around Bangkok.I've heard nothing about any vaccines being administered around here.How many of they 40-60 dying each day have had a jab?

4 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

312,187 x 2 = 624374 +392008 = 1,016,382 Phuket took 1 million jabs away from elderly and vulnerable people outside of Phuket.I have an 80 year old mother in law and know many older and vulnerable people in my area who definitely deserve the vaccine than younger healthier people in Phuket so I'd have to disagree.I think most of the 9 million would be those living in and around Bangkok.I've heard nothing about any vaccines being administered around here.How many of they 40-60 dying each day have had a jab?

Again - its not due to the priority assigned to Phuket. 

In Phuket some locals were and still are close to starving, living on food lines for almost a year, due to a dead economy.  There have been cases some committing suicide due to a failure to make ends meet. 

As for vaccinations outside of Phuket - you can tell your stories and I can tell mine.  I have in-laws in their 80s and 90s in Ranong province who have received their jabs.

Its sad that there are elderly in Thailand who are not getting jabs, but its not due to Phuket taking all the available jabs. Many millions of jabs were available to give to those elderly outside of all jabs given in Phuket, had the authorities decided to do so.  

Edited by oldcpu
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

It's not for me (I like the nightlife too much) but I can see how the quietness appeals to some.

Me too, although there's been no nightlife for some considerable time now, even though a few bars did stay open in Bangla for a while, but that's long gone.

I don't think the quietness is appealing to a few little establishments who have just opened up a short way away from me – – a coffee and cake shop which could accommodate about six customers at most and has seen no custom; a bar which has opened next door in place of a previously failed one; and another bar/burger bar which has opened some 50 m away and although quite a bit of money seems to have been spent on it, and it does look nice, no customers.

The same goes for two or three other bars just up the road, which have opened as restaurant/bars, but whilst the anticipation reigned supreme, the reality is stark, and in my opinion, these little ventures are not money "well spent" and even if tourists do return to Patong/Phuket, places like these will not see any customers for a very long time, if at all, and quite why small places like this keep opening up in out of the way places still baffles me, although I think there is one common denominator, which is: – Thai girl with farang boyfriend.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

Its sad that there are elderly in Thailand who are not getting jabs, but its not due to Phuket taking all the available jabs. Many millions of jabs were available to give to those elderly outside of all jabs given in Phuket, had the authorities decided to do so.  

Who said Phuket took "all the available jabs"?Now you're inventing stuff.Many millions of jabs may have been available had the authorities decided to so but they didn't decide to make them available, instead they made 1 million of them available to the population of Phuket before making them available to the elderly and vulnerable that hadn't been vaccinated.You've said as much yourself.Had they stuck to their promise of prioritising the elderly and vulnerable the 5 million of the elderly and vulnerable would be safe instead they are dying because they haven't been vaccinated because the authorities decided not to. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

.Had they stuck to their promise of prioritising the elderly and vulnerable the 5 million of the elderly and vulnerable would be safe instead they are dying because they haven't been vaccinated because the authorities decided not to. 

Once again, the elderly not getting jabs in some provinces is not due to Phuket taking away their jabs. 

In the number of jabs given outside of Phuket (in areas of the country whose local economy is relatively golden compared to the locals economically suffering in Phuket with locals in food lines just to survive for months), there were adequate jabs for an appropriate priority assignment. One needs to be looking elsewhere as to why those jabs, that were available outside of Phuket weren't given.

Edited by oldcpu

16 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

Again - its not due to the priority assigned to Phuket. 

In Phuket some locals were and still are close to starving, living on food lines for almost a year, due to a dead economy.  There have been cases some committing suicide due to a failure to make ends meet. 

As for vaccinations outside of Phuket - you can tell your stories and I can tell mine.  I have in-laws in their 80s and 90s in Ranong province who have received their jabs.

The first few months the only available vaccine in Thailand was Sinovac. At that time it was only considered safe to use in healthy people between 18 and 60. Only recently new studies were concluded in China showing its safe in over 60’s and people with underlying conditions. That was also why it took the WHO a long while to authorize its approval. 
The effect was that Thailand opted to first vaccinate the healthcare community and young healthy people in cluster areas and tourist destinations such as Phuket and Samui.

At this moment with Sinovac approved for everyone over 18 and the locally produced AstraZeneca becoming available the priority is with the elderly and other people at risk. 

2 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

Once again, the elderly not getting jabs in some provinces is not due to Phuket taking away their jabs. 

In the number of jabs given outside of Phuket (in areas of the country whose local economy is relatively golden compared to the locals economically suffering in Phuket with locals in food lines just to survive for months), there were adequate jabs for an appropriate priority assignment. One needs to be looking elsewhere as to why those jabs, that were available outside of Phuket weren't given.

The people in charge of the country decided to vaccinate Phuket before vaccinating the elderly and vulnerable in the rest of the country.Prayuth decides where the vaccine goes it's not some mystical other reason.He decided that Phuket be vaccinated before the elderly and vulnerable did, he decided that the risk of doing this was a risk he was prepared to take, it was his decision alone haven't you been informed that he declared himself the Covid Czar in charge of all things related to the pandemic including who gets vaccinated when.Prayuth decided to vaccinate Phuket before the elderly and vulnerable people in other parts of the country.

• Confused 2

13 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

The first few months the only available vaccine in Thailand was Sinovac. At that time it was only considered safe to use in healthy people between 18 and 60. Only recently new studies were concluded in China showing its safe in over 60’s and people with underlying conditions. That was also why it took the WHO a long while to authorize its approval. 
The effect was that Thailand opted to first vaccinate the healthcare community and young healthy people in cluster areas and tourist destinations such as Phuket and Samui.

At this moment with Sinovac approved for everyone over 18 and the locally produced AstraZeneca becoming available the priority is with the elderly and other people at risk. 

Here is an article that suggests otherwise.

https://www.archyde.com/the-lancet-releases-study-showing-safety-of-sinovac-vaccine-in-population-over-60-years-old/

On 7/3/2021 at 5:19 AM, simon43 said:

What happened to the requirement to wear tracking wristbands?  It's gone quiet on that topic...

Not true!  Wristbands are being worn by all the Thai nationals and expats returning to live on Phuket who where barred from participating in the Phuket Sandbox.  I read it in the media.  Must be true.

• Confused 1

It has. been reported that a Thai Smile passenger traveling from Bkk to Phuket tested positive on Arrival. A warning has been issued by a Minister from the Phuket information center and has advised passengers seated near the passenger on the flight to get tested asap. Also the passenger visited Starbucks in Central Festival in Phuket they two are advised to test immediately.  This was last Thursday a week before the sandbox opening. So the question being asked is why was he / she allowed to Board in Suvanabhume the track and trace App should have identified them. Wait for the Spin it will go " The Passenger was an Expat traveling to visit family in Phuket but thanks to our track and trace we identified them immediately and quarantined him/her at the Airport " . 

26 minutes ago, BarraMarra said:

It has. been reported that a Thai Smile passenger traveling from Bkk to Phuket tested positive on Arrival. A warning has been issued by a Minister from the Phuket information center and has advised passengers seated near the passenger on the flight to get tested asap. Also the passenger visited Starbucks in Central Festival in Phuket they two are advised to test immediately.  This was last Thursday a week before the sandbox opening. So the question being asked is why was he / she allowed to Board in Suvanabhume the track and trace App should have identified them. Wait for the Spin it will go " The Passenger was an Expat traveling to visit family in Phuket but thanks to our track and trace we identified them immediately and quarantined him/her at the Airport " . 

Here is your missing link.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/phuket-on-alert-after-airline-passenger-from-bangkok-found-infected-with-covid-19/

On 7/2/2021 at 11:40 PM, gk10012001 said:

The online tracking and registration app is bad enough and a problem for me as I do not have a smart phone nor had any plans to get one until they finish terminating 3g and 5 g is rung out with no issues.

Generation of network availability is irrelevant so don’t let that stop you. Latest phones are 5G ready and will switch up and down without you knowing. Don’t be a phone-phobic dinosaur. ????

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

Me too, although there's been no nightlife for some considerable time now, even though a few bars did stay open in Bangla for a while, but that's long gone.

I don't think the quietness is appealing to a few little establishments who have just opened up a short way away from me – – a coffee and cake shop which could accommodate about six customers at most and has seen no custom; a bar which has opened next door in place of a previously failed one; and another bar/burger bar which has opened some 50 m away and although quite a bit of money seems to have been spent on it, and it does look nice, no customers.

The same goes for two or three other bars just up the road, which have opened as restaurant/bars, but whilst the anticipation reigned supreme, the reality is stark, and in my opinion, these little ventures are not money "well spent" and even if tourists do return to Patong/Phuket, places like these will not see any customers for a very long time, if at all, and quite why small places like this keep opening up in out of the way places still baffles me, although I think there is one common denominator, which is: – Thai girl with farang boyfriend.

There were a few bars on Bangla that remained open up, as you say, to the very last minute prior to the last alcohol ban. The ones that I know were open for the sole purpose of feeding and paying the handful of staff that had remained in Patong. They achieved that, it was enjoyable, and those staff are still around.

24 bars (so I am told) will open their shutters tonight at 7pm and light up. No alcohol or customers of course, but just a bit of support for each other. and a sign to all that they still exist.  Yes, as you state, there was, and is, an anticipation that, Covid permitting,  small numbers of tourists will one day return. The owners and staff survive of that "hope", no matter how small it is.

• Thanks 1