SURVEY: Is it time to abandon the Sandbox concept?

Scott

SURVEY: Is it time to abandon the Sandbox concept?  

344 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 minutes ago, 2long said:

When they mentioned wristbands, we all laughed.

But they didn't make clear the imprisoning of fellow travellers, separation of families and all at the (uninsured) cost of the tourists.

I REALLY want the borders open, but what they're doing now will make things worse.

Don't forget to mention that microwaves are not made for drying cats ???? 

What did this "tourists" think what will happen when they get detected positive ?

What they think will happen if they came in close contact to a positive ?

They took the risk ...

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Actually I would stop the tourists but keep it open for people who live here returning from overseas.

Two weeks stuck in a hotel room must be an absolute nightmare.

its a nightmare  now the 4 th time  and now no  outside after 7 days  for air 

6 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Actually I would stop the tourists but keep it open for people who live here returning from overseas.

Two weeks stuck in a hotel room must be an absolute nightmare.

And random. Why plug the arrivals by air, but keep border crossings like a block of Emmental?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Oh dear. You don’t trust facts that go against the version of reality you have chosen to believe in. 

Your studies aren't facts, rather papers likely sponsored by Big Pharma.

I quoted you facts from Israel: double-jabbed patients, whose number grows by the day. 

We'll just have to  wait a few months to find out who between us eats crow. 

Just now, aBigSmile said:

Your studies aren't facts, rather papers likely sponsored by Big Pharma.

I quoted you facts from Israel: double-jabbed patients, whose number grows by the day. 

We'll just have to  wait a few months to find out who between us eats crow. 

Yeah sure, your reality is the only one and your claims about Israel are the only facts eh. 

Let me see, Baa Baa Baa…is that bleating in the right key?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, champers said:

It has only been up and running for just over a week. There have been a few issues to sort out but nothing major or catastrophic. Islands would seem to be the best location for sandboxes for now.

A few issues...

Like jailing a dozen people who thought they were coming to Thailand for a holiday. Instead they PAID to be jailed. With them now being in jail for a week we have not heard of one incident of those individuals having covid.

Only the one person.

Issues....

Edited by kynikoi

Regrettably there wasn't a 'no to none of the above'

The sandbox concept is a good idea, but, the authorities must not lose their nerve when infections spike.  This they could avoid by stopping the testing with kits that aren't fit for purpose with too many false positives showing in asymptomatic people.  asymptomatic transmission doesn't happen.

In my opinion - bourne out by the Great Barrington declaration the vulnerable should have been isolated and the rest of us allowed to get on with our lives thus increasing herd immunity and the financial devastation wreaked upon the world should never have happened.

• Thanks 1

phuket sandbox was the right concept / time / place attempting / trialing essential tourism restart.

abandon it for what alternative ? none.

uncrowded resorts & beaches & authentic thai food / temples are sufficient for some family tourists

failed largely because of excessive testing & tracing in phuket; many “lesson learned” ......

thais sufficiently vaccinated in phuket

hungary and serbia are not “western countries”. 

42 minutes ago, Nurseynutcase said:

Regrettably there wasn't a 'no to none of the above'

The sandbox concept is a good idea, but, the authorities must not lose their nerve when infections spike.  This they could avoid by stopping the testing with kits that aren't fit for purpose with too many false positives showing in asymptomatic people.  asymptomatic transmission doesn't happen.

In my opinion - bourne out by the Great Barrington declaration the vulnerable should have been isolated and the rest of us allowed to get on with our lives thus increasing herd immunity and the financial devastation wreaked upon the world should never have happened.

Another selfish individual who believes only they and their friends matter in this world, bravo.

Phuket has the alpha, beta and delta now and it has just been proved in South Africa that you can catch the beta and delta simultaneously.  The sandbox may go out in a blaze of glory and score another "hub" accolade being the first place to record patients with all three.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I read an article in a local online newspaper earlier today on how to potentially deal with the tricky situation of the people who tested negative, but were unlucky enough to be in a group, or in the vicinity of a sandboxer who tested positive and thereby transfered to ALQ. Covid related insurance will only cover the ALQ costs if you are positive. ALQ hotel costs in general seem to be much higher than SHA+ hotels, so even if SHA+ costs are refunded, you are still likely to end up out of pocket.

The author proposed the Phuket "guarantee" as an idea to try to turn the negative side of this publicity into something slightly more positive. The guarantee would ensure that with the exception of F&B there would be NO additional charges for ALQ should you have to transfer there.. I was thinking that that was may be a good proposal and went back later to read the article again only to find it had been removed, possibly along with the author, for suggesting something that might be deemed a little sensible...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, digibum said:

Sadly, many of these people are idiots.  And so are many expats living in Thailand.  

Go on Facebook groups, even today, and see the number of expats thinking it might be a good time to fly down to Phuket with the kids for a relaxing weekend.  

Or the expats that ask whether the bars on Bangla are open.  

Many of these people are too dumb to understand the risks.  They come from nanny states that would stop them from harming themselves so they think that if something is possible, it must be safe.  

These don’t sound like people that can properly weigh risk and make intelligent decisions.  

Obviously what's needed is less idiots and more people like yourself. 

13 minutes ago, sungod said:

interesting poll on that link. 43% of people said they would continue to wear a face mask in a bar or pub. Not quite sure how that would work.....

They are very simple to remove when necessary, I believe instructions are available for those less technically inclined…