Thai Red Cross Society to Import 1m Moderna Doses

snoop1130

210325040_4018188088285300_38944-2.jpg

BANGKOK, July 15 (TNA) – The Thai Red Cross Society has sealed a deal to import 1 million doses of the COVID-19 vaccine made by Moderna for free inoculation in the country.

Pheu Thai Party MP for Bangkok Theerarat Samretwanich in her capacity as spokesperson for the House’s special committee on 2022 fiscal budget scrutiny said the committee asked if the Thai Red Cross Society could order an alternative COVID-19 vaccine for administration in Thailand.

Tej Bunnag, secretary-general of the Thai Red Cross Society, told the committee that the society concluded its negotiation with Moderna for its import of 1 million doses of the latter’s vaccine.

Full Story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-739480

tnalogo.jpg
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

...and who are they going to administer the vaccine to?

This comes out of the 5,000,000 vaccines ordered by the private hospitals? How is this going to help?

Totally separate to the 5 million already ordered, read below.

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

Tej Bunnag, secretary-general of the Thai Red Cross Society, told the committee that the society concluded its negotiation with Moderna for its import of 1 million doses of the latter’s vaccine.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

This comes out of the 5,000,000 vaccines ordered by the private hospitals? How is this going to help?

No it does not and as mentioned earlier before you edited your post it will no doubt be for the target group within which they already work. 

This is great news for those people.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Totally separate to the 5 million already ordered, read below.

From the same link...

"They would be a part of 5 million doses that would arrive simultaneously and the rest doses were ordered by private hospitals, Mr Tej said. (TNA)"

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

No it does not and as mentioned earlier before you edited your post it will no doubt be for the target group within which they already work. 

This is great news for those people.

From the link in the OP's post...

"They would be a part of 5 million doses that would arrive simultaneously and the rest doses were ordered by private hospitals, Mr Tej said. (TNA)"

16 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Right but what difference does that actually make:

"The 1 million doses of the Moderna vaccine would be administered for people free of charge, he said."

The rest are a separate amount for private hospitals that will be charged for.

Can you just not be pleased its happening for the vulnerable here?

The government are administering vaccines free! There are many expats here who are vunerable too!

5 hours ago, DLock said:

It will get interesting because the Thai Government cannot even co-ordinate a contract, get orders placed and it will end costing 3,400 baht at private hospitals. The Red Cross has just embarrassed them, so it be interesting to see how they react. Will they ban the Red Cross ordering, or make them order from the Thai Government?

Nothing to do with me getting a vaccine. I am fine.

I bet you are fun at parties though...

Don’t worry, I’m double Pfizered..

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chris.B said:

From the same link...

I take it math wasn't something you excelled in.

Read here, the Thai Red Cross is wanting to order the Moderna shots at the same time as the 5 million batch being ordered by the private hospitals on 21 July 2021, i.e. 5 + 1 = 6

Apology accepted, when your wrong, your wrong and you admit it and grow, well that's what I do, as seldom as I are, what do you do ?

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2149291/thai-red-cross-plans-1m-free-moderna-shots

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

OK, I guess the government is adding 1 MM doses onto the private hospital buy, at the GPO.

This may be good-ish news?

The Government Pharmaceutical Organization would sign the vaccine procurement contract and had yet to schedule the signing, he said.

The 1 million doses of the Moderna vaccine would be administered for people free of charge, he said.

They would be a part of 5 million doses that would arrive simultaneously and the rest doses were ordered by private hospitals, Mr Tej said. 

This appears to be a slap-dash effort to mollify those upset about the exclusivity of the private-paid Moderna option.

Private hospitals were set to order 5 MM doses, so it looks to me like the government horned in on 1 MM of those, leaving the private hospitals with just 4 MM.

That'll teach THG Chairman Boon a lesson.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

that's great, it will be pushing another 4mln to be contracted (those for private hospitals) and possibly behind the GPO back.

Looks, like the GPO doesn't care about the speed of action. In fact, it looks plainly now, that they are trying to obstruct any imports. 

The J&J was swiftly approved in april, but so far no contract. That's already 3 month delay.

Sputnik is completely forgotten and no any explanation given why no forward action.

Any vax and as fast as possible is needed, because sinovac works below expectations and AZ has 5 months backlog  

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, AndyFoxy said:

Why? If you ;are a farang, you won’t be getting it.

I disagree. I have always relied on TRC for my vaccinations & have donated my universal donar O-neg blood there for 30+ years.

Have never experienced anything but fair from TRC. Lemme tell you about that snakebite!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

The work with the most vulnerable in society so one can assume they will fit the bill. 

At the bottom of article it says contract not signed yet. We seem to hear this a lot

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Chris.B said:

From the same link...

There was previous talk here that supposedly 20% of the private hospitals' Moderna order was gonna be set aside for the Thai Red Cross....

So if the TNA's stilted English language reporting means what it appears to mean, this would NOT be 1 million NEW doses, but rather, 1 million out of the 5 million already planned by the private hospitals.

One difference, though, would be that the Red Cross' share supposedly will be distributed for free (to who knows who), but the private hospitals' portion is strictly pay for service.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There was previous talk here that supposedly 20% of the private hospitals' Moderna order was gonna be set aside for the Thai Red Cross....

On the bottom of article it says order has not been signed yet. How many times have we heard that?

10 minutes ago, club said:

At the bottom of article it says contract not signed yet. We seem to hear this a lot

It has to be cleared by Thailand's infamous authorities first thats why.

"It would be good to know what the government has done to break through the bureaucratic inertia which saw the GPO sit for 6 weeks on an earlier purchase order for Moderna."

https://twitter.com/pakhead/status/1415708065970540548