House budget committee expected to shelve Thai navy’s submarine deal

webfact

8 hours ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

I should think so,  the Idea should be scraped for ever,  the 22.5 billion Baht would & should be better spent feeding the poor.... 

Draft the poor, then they get fed.  

I was going to put a smilie to show that this was a joke, but is it really such a bad idea?

Maybe still go ahead with the subs, Pattaya's road network is nicely flooded, open roads serve as channels and the sandbox idea, once implemented, will allow tourists underwater city tours along walking street and Soi 6 ........ what a farce ...... submarines in Thailand's shallow waters - the mind boggles! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul Henry said:

Does Thailand have a fully trained submarine crew complete with shore based back up and facilities.?

Yes it does actually.

It is next to the Scenical  World water park in Khao Yai.  They will shortly be building two plinths for them there.

4 hours ago, Can samui said:
4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Im not an expert but I did read the waters around Thailand are to shallow for a sub to be effective 

4 hours ago, Can samui said:

True for the gulf which has a depth of about 80 meters max so they would be confined to the deep waters on the Andaman side.

I wonder why they built their new submarine base at the Sattahip Naval Base in Chon Buri then.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Im not an expert but I did read the waters around Thailand are to shallow for a sub to be effective 

What is effective is the kickback they receive i doubt there's even a plan to sail /sink it whatever is called in submarine terms

7 hours ago, Paul Henry said:

Does Thailand have a fully trained submarine crew complete with shore based back up and facilities.?

No need. They have thought of that. The Chinese will provide the crew and the shore based facilities. There is a base already built near the Philippines....

7 hours ago, Can samui said:

True for the gulf which has a depth of about 80 meters max so they would be confined to the deep waters on the Andaman side.

Plus, has anybody read any convincing argument to justify

purchases of any submarines by the Thai gov't?

8 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Plus, has anybody read any convincing argument to justify

purchases of any submarines by the Thai gov't?

Guess the Thai government feels it has no need to provide a convincing argument to TVF members

5 hours ago, Excel said:

Maybe that is where they shipped their aircaftless aircraft carrier to. By some reports its disappeared of the radar, literally, or at least its transponders have been turned off. 

They don't want it to be another Pearl harbour when war breaks out....

8 hours ago, Moonfire said:

I think one being parked in front of the aircraft carrier and one behind it would make a better sightseeing attraction. 

Or one displayed on the deck of the plane less aircraft carrier.... 

1 advantage is, if put to sea it won't hit anything thing and sink.... 

“developing” countries playing with submarines ......at sea

THE most complex Military Equipment Ever......

what could possibly go wrong ?.....

well, zero military use (thailand has zero enemies) / sunken sub (unrecoverable) / 40 dead sailors / lost half billion usd ....

oh THAT could go wrong, yes...

but tea money velly good !

and never mind our poor people on 2k baht mth.

no need either to sell 80 billion baht bangkok land held by certain institution.

They should only take the one they already purchase sail it near Phuket, take the men and fuels out and scuttle it to become a diving attraction. Better do it that way than lose the sub and its crew to the inevitable sinking, at least there will be no loss of life.   

On 7/19/2021 at 3:25 AM, Mr Meeseeks said:

They have spent billions on a submarine base with requisite training facilities. 

I think they had a submarine base for years before they ordered any subs from what I remember. 

I also seem to recall a few years back the idea of subs was questioned by the king.