Retirement Extension : 800,000thb balance, does it have to be in just ONE bank account or could it be in two accounts ?

15 minutes ago, fishtank said:

Why risk giving them an excuse to say "no".

Keep in in one.

Good advice, but too late for the OP at this point.

A possible solution might be a Covid extension in conjunction with immediately ensuring one of the accounts has a balance of 800k baht. You should then meet your immigration office's local rules for the extension.

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, fishtank said:

Why risk giving them an excuse to say "no".

Keep in in one.

Why should they have a right to control what is legally yours? I had a run in with immigration once where they said I couldn't keep my money in a  'savings cooperative'. It had to be a 'bank'.

Definition of 'bank'.

A bank is a financial institution where customers can save or borrow money. Banks also invest money to build up their reserve of money. ... Banks also can use the money they have from deposit accounts to invest in businesses in order to make more money.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Two accounts but you will need two separate letters and statements from the banks . I had to do it a year ago as SCB took commission charges of 200 baht for my debit card which left me short of 165 baht and 75 setangs  so I had to get a letter and statement from my everyday spending account had I not had that I would of been refused all for 165 baht which was out of my count for no more than 15 hours ☹️☹️☹️☹️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crazykopite said:

Two accounts but you will need two separate letters and statements from the banks . I had to do it a year ago as SCB took commission charges of 200 baht for my debit card which left me short of 165 baht and 75 setangs  so I had to get a letter and statement from my everyday spending account had I not had that I would of been refused all for 165 baht which was out of my count for no more than 15 hours ☹️☹️☹️☹️

Why keep exactly 800k in the account, make it 801 then no worries if charges are taken by the bank.

• Thanks 1

I am in Chiang Mai. I have used two bank accounts from two different banks without any problems. 

I even used two bank accounts within the same branch with no problems.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fishtank said:

Nope. Not saying that they are in the right but it makes life easier to play along with there little games.

So to play along with an immigration officer you're prepared to cough up 16,000 Baht for something that can be obtained for free? You gotta be havin a larf.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

A similar question was posed a couple years back. @ubonjoeresponded. Perhaps he will again, but here's the previous thread.

I have answered the same question many times.

Here is one I did yesterday in another topic.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2021 at 7:52 AM, IvorBiggun2 said:

The IO threw my books onto the officers desk next to his and accused my wife of trying to make him look foolish and walked out.

At least your wife tried to help.

I once saw this older gentleman at the bank. He was trying to get himself across to the teller with limited English. He had large amounts in this acct and that, trying to move them around to meet the imm requirements. The teller wasn't getting it.

The guy then turns to his young companion sitting near me in the waiting area, playing on her phone. Please, can you help me? She sighs and rolls her eyes. She could care less about his retirement visa, or how he moves the money, as long as she gets some.

• Haha 2

To answer one of the above questions, I "used" two bank accounts this visit to immigration cos 51 weeks ago I transferred 850K thb to a separate Bangkok Bank account, not to be touched. solely for Retirement Visa purposes. The IO told me to come back in 1 week when the account is 12 months old. 

I was trying to do things in advance of renewal date on 1st September as I have possible surgery next week and just wanted one less matter in my head to think about. 

So 2 Bank accounts are allowed but IO don't like that so I'll just go with the flow and return in a week. Hopefully I'll be granted the Custodian Visa which will mean it's all worth it as will only need to show 400k for 1 week prior to Extension Renewal in future and I can use this Extension til my kids are 20 which is circa 10 years away yet....

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Why keep exactly 800k in the account, make it 801 then no worries if charges are taken by the bank.

Charges WILL be taken. ALWAYS keep a buffer. I would recommend 5k baht. If you can afford to stash away 800k, you can afford an extra 5k and you will sleep SO much better at night.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I'm lost on that '1 week prior'.

For an extension of stay based upon being the parent of a Thai (aka guardian at Phuket) the 400k baht only has to be in the bank on the day the application is done. But Phuket immigration want it to be in the bank for a week before.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BangkokBoyJohnny said:

To answer one of the above questions, I "used" two bank accounts this visit to immigration cos 51 weeks ago I transferred 850K thb to a separate Bangkok Bank account, not to be touched. solely for Retirement Visa purposes. The IO told me to come back in 1 week when the account is 12 months old. 

Where was this?

I opened a second 800kTHB account at the same bank for my retirement extensions only and worry over balance going under in my first account. This was about 5 months after my last extension, so the IO cannot ask me to come back in 5 months?

2 hours ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

Where was this?

I opened a second 800kTHB account at the same bank for my retirement extensions only and worry over balance going under in my first account. This was about 5 months after my last extension, so the IO cannot ask me to come back in 5 months?

Phuket, But I keep 850k thb in it and also transfer 1000thb a month into it automatically just to keep some transactions in the book when printed !

• Thanks 1