Thinking of buying some land, please check my thinking :)

(I understand as a foreigner it is difficult to own land, so this is going under my GF's name.  I'm not worried, and plan to do the usufruct & 30-year lease).

I'm planning to purchase a bit of land.  I've confirmed the chanote has the red garuda on it, and I believe it is type 4.  This should mean that it would be a full chanote and fully owned (as opposed to only 'permission' to own the land).  It's about 10 RAI, north of Hua Hin.

My main questions are:

1) Is there a way to know if the land is good for *building* on.  I do not know much about laying a foundation and building a house, but is there something I should be worried about here?  (Too soft, so will be difficult or expensive to build a house.  Too hard, so can't build a foundation.  Etc?)  Something I can check while looking at the land to know: Oh, run away not possible.  (Other than, it's flooded :P )

2) Water:  The land is supposed to have city water provided, but I would not mind my own well.  Is there some way to check if this is feasible whilst I'm looking at the land?

3) Are there some sort of records/surveys/etc. that are kept somewhere that give a report on the land? (flood zone, prone to fire, soil type, etc.?)

4) Electricity: It's supposed to have electricity either at the property line or within 100-200m of it.  I suspect brining full electrical power to the homestead is not that difficult or expensive?

5) Restrictions: Could there be some restrictions on use that I should check: Can only build certain styles of houses, not allowed for full time occupancy, something weird?

6) I don't know what I don't know: Is there something I should be check while I'm looking at it?

Thank you all!

If you want to buy land in the ladies name it is fully possible to secure it legally with an usufruct, lease or similar. 

These are generally issued for your lifetime, or 30 years, which for most of us old codgers is the same thing. The courts will usually support a legally registered contract, but if things with the lady turn bad be aware it's not beyond the realms of possibility that you could end up helping to enrich the soil in a back paddock.

Sounds like you will have water and electricity available, a well or bore can be sunk for a reasonable price and in most cases will provide a good flow, Bushfires are relatively rare in jungle vegetation in the tropics, but smoke from burn offs can be hazardous.

You will have to check the soil when inspecting. Take someone who knows.

8 hours ago, JayBird said:

1/ Is there a way to know if the land is good for *building* on. 

2/ Water:  The land is supposed to have city water provided,

1/ Was it rice land before JayBirb ?.. because it may require filling which can be quite expensive.

2/ Water is so cheap in Thailand-- I have never seen the sense in drilling if it cost what has been quoted---

3/ No

4/ Running Electricity lines can be expensive--how far from the nearest Neighbor are you?--which is usually how you calculate it.

5/ Restrictions-no that would be unusual to have any  Restrictions on the type on residence you build.

6/ Difficult to answer --what age are you?-- if this is a long term plan  (more then 5-10 years) then thats difficult to say if your relationship (if your living apart ) would make it a good investment.

anyway--good luck.

Edited by sanuk711
  • Like 1

Hello all, and thank you for the feedback.

To summarize a bit of the input so far:

1) No, it's not rice land.  It may have been used for normal 'farming' at some point.  I suppose that means it's perfectly fine to build a house on?

2) There are no neighbours that one can see.  Maybe a good 5+ minute drive to the nearest.  So not sure asking them would be meaningful, as the terrain will be different.

3) Sounds like electricity could be an issue.  How can I tell what kind of electricity I have nearby and if I need to upgrade it? (Is there something written on the pole?)

4) I'm planning to get a lawyer to handle the usufruct & lease, should not have an issues.

13 hours ago, JayBird said:

1) No, it's not rice land.  It may have been used for normal 'farming' at some point.  I suppose that means it's perfectly fine to build a house on?

2) There are no neighbours that one can see.  Maybe a good 5+ minute drive to the nearest.  So not sure asking them would be meaningful, as the terrain will be different.

3) Sounds like electricity could be an issue.  How can I tell what kind of electricity I have nearby and if I need to upgrade it? (Is there something written on the pole?)

4) I'm planning to get a lawyer to handle the usufruct & lease, should not have an issues.

Might suggest that you have a clear access to the nearest public roadway (no need to cross someone else's property)?

Due deligience is critical. This includes who owns the land now. Ie, Are you buying from your gf's family, etc, etc. 

One way to buy the land is get a mortgage in your gfs name. You make the monthly mortgage payments. If she f.. s you off, your only in for the down payment and monthly payments during your time together. She now has to make the rest of the monthly payments. You can still get a lease but it will be second to the bank. Good Luck! 

• Like 2

For the Usufruct, it is basically up to each land office to grant. The problem I think for the land office is the "fruct" part of it, meaning a grey zone where the foreigner is allowed to profit from the land, which is a paragraph 22 issue for the land office, since foreigners are not allowed to engage in activities/work of such type, they can't even get a work permit.

Edited by AlQaholic

Worth considering an exit strategy;  if the worst happens, could you sell and recoup your investment?

My experience of rural land is that it is not a liquid asset.   You might have to find a buyer yourself and them wait while he finds the money to pay for it.

44 minutes ago, Robin said:

Worth considering an exit strategy;  if the worst happens, could you sell and recoup your investment?

My experience of rural land is that it is not a liquid asset.   You might have to find a buyer yourself and them wait while he finds the money to pay for it.

We bought paddy fields 150 K with chanote (from family), sold 450 K 24 years later bought 200 Talang Wa without paper for 30K  sold for 150 K, still without paper. So it depends where it is (near the village) and if the people know you. We got many requests to buy but not enough money. Anty of the wife bought a couple rai when the BP was high (lives in Manchester) and sold it with profit when the pound was not even 40. THink she made more on the exchange rate. Yet again in her village and sold to a friend.  

• Like 1

04. Electricity can be expensive. Know an NGO who paid 480 K 20+ years ago for a couple hundred meter. It was about 80K for each next pillar.  Once it was installed many started to build in the same area and hooked up for the regular fee. You may pay for it but you don't own it.

On 8/12/2021 at 10:46 AM, JayBird said:

My main questions are:

1) Is there a way to know if the land is good for *building* on.  I do not know much about laying a foundation and building a house, but is there something I should be worried about here?  (Too soft, so will be difficult or expensive to build a house.  Too hard, so can't build a foundation.  Etc?)  Something I can check while looking at the land to know: Oh, run away not possible.  (Other than, it's flooded ???? )

The local Amphur in my experience will be the ones deciding on the plans of the house, and will include the specific depth of the foundations. this was built on sandy clay type land to their specs. The first sow going up ceremony offering, not the builders lunch LOL.

IMG_1145.thumb.JPG.933fa0993ff2332cae804722f69393b0.JPG

IMG_1147.thumb.JPG.fec9e33625c38692250e139eff93859e.JPG

IMG_1159.thumb.JPG.fefd6aaae595dce0d54eee960febcbba.JPGIMG_1183.thumb.JPG.342780fce5bae5d328fa0c0b540e626f.JPG

Edited by brianthainess
add photos

6 hours ago, brianthainess said:

The local Amphur in my experience will be the ones deciding on the plans of the house, and will include the specific depth of the foundations. this was built on sandy clay type land to their specs. The first sow going up ceremony offering, not the builders lunch LOL.

IMG_1145.thumb.JPG.933fa0993ff2332cae804722f69393b0.JPG

IMG_1147.thumb.JPG.fec9e33625c38692250e139eff93859e.JPG

IMG_1159.thumb.JPG.fefd6aaae595dce0d54eee960febcbba.JPGIMG_1183.thumb.JPG.342780fce5bae5d328fa0c0b540e626f.JPG

Are you saying that the Amphur will decide what kind of house I can have? The design, style, etc?

7 hours ago, inThailand said:

Due deligience is critical. This includes who owns the land now. Ie, Are you buying from your gf's family, etc, etc. 

One way to buy the land is get a mortgage in your gfs name. You make the monthly mortgage payments. If she f.. s you off, your only in for the down payment and monthly payments during your time together. She now has to make the rest of the monthly payments. You can still get a lease but it will be second to the bank. Good Luck! 

I'm not worried about her taking the land.  She owns so much property she can't keep track of it, and this would not even be a blip on her radar.

I'm mainly interested in the Lease/etc. to avoid anything if she dies..

On 8/12/2021 at 6:15 AM, JayBird said:

1- the reason the OP asked if it was a rice paddy is because they are normally lower then the road side which will mean you will have to build it up to stop it from flooding . 
2. take a Thai you trust who’s local to the area to ask about the history of the area - no offense but if your missis is an uneducated farm girl she won’t be much use . 
3. it’s quite a sandy terrain around that area flooding does happen and quite severe . 
4. don’t ever marry your gf as then the userfuct means nothing as there is no legal contracts between man and wife . And remember if you finish you can’t sell without her permission . If it’s your money get it in a business name if it’s shared money by all means put it in hers . 
5. I have found and is often the case Thais tend to get rid of land when it’s not very productive for farming anymore bargain hard and don’t pay what they are asking as it’s often overpriced . 

• Thanks 1

If you believe your land needs to be filled/raised to build on; I would advise doing so as soon as you buy the land giving it as much time as possible to settle properly. The longer the better.......................

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bojo said:

If you believe your land needs to be filled/raised to build on; I would advise doing so as soon as you buy the land giving it as much time as possible to settle properly. The longer the better.......................

Yup. Two rainy seasons is the norm to allow the fill to settle, if your building on a slab. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, bojo said:

Yes, thank you!  She mentioned something about raising it if I want.  She said some people even raise it 2-3 meters so it looks nice.  Not sure how realistic that is.  Would be like having a hill-mounted castle overlooking the lands ????  But could be a fun thing to do if not overly expensive.

And yes, good idea on letting it settle for a while.  Need to remember that in case whoever we hire wants to move onto the next phase quickly.

On 8/13/2021 at 8:25 AM, XJPSX said:

I lived in several (expensive) estates in BKK where the new houses have all started to crack as the Sandy foundations

I have never heard of anyone building in Bangkok on a floating foundation (if that is what you are saying) - Bangkok is about 40 feet deep mud and can not support anything - all homes use piles driven into the earth to support foundations.  Walls are not supporting so cracks are not normally a serious issue.   

Most of Thailand does flood so having as high as possible is normally a good thing (unless you want to go Thai style and build at second story level with open space below - not the best in old age or for vehicles).