Water administration prepares for coming rainy season

Jonathan Fairfield

bc98abcc47dc5862f476f16791f7a53d_small.jpeg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Deputy Prime Minister has directed relevant agencies to carry out the ten measures conceptualized to prevent flooding and other disasters during this year’s rainy season, as well as to store water for the dry season.

Deputy Prime Minister Gen Prawit Wongsuwan, led a videoconference of the National Water Administration as its chairman, and was briefed on projections for August and September, when heavy rains are expected and Thailand may have to face two to three typhoons.

A total 2,988 sub-districts in 630 districts of 71 provinces are considered at-risk of flooding. The administration has therefore ordered relevant agencies including the Royal Irrigation Department, Marine Department and local administrations to prepare precautions such as water pumps, tunnels, dykes and drainage systems. They were told to clear out any debris from drainage pipes to prevent flooding.

Gen Prawit also instructed his committee, the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives, Bangkok officials and provincial governors to carry out 10 measures devised to prevent flooding, landslides and flash floods, noting efforts must also be made to store water for next year’s drought. He urged that a public relations campaign be carried out so citizens are kept abreast of the situation and are prepared to react in the event of disaster.

nnt.jpg

2 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

carry out the ten measures conceptualized to prevent flooding and other disasters

One must ask if this is the same ten measures as last year? If so, good luck!

flood emergency is big and easy money. As well as drought emergencies. And winter time cold spells emergencies.

They are special funds for each occasion, the more problem is exaggerated, the more of uncontrolled help is coming from the central institutions. Those funds are the easiest to squander, because done in haste, unplanned.

So I see the reason, why gen Prawit hangs around those meetings. It's a constant flow of bananas

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

As usual a bit late, its already been raining for weeks...

regards Worgeordie

Not here in Sattahip. My garden is like the Gobi desert. Although we had a splash just now, A free sample?????

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The Deputy Prime Minister has directed relevant agencies to carry out the ten measures conceptualized to prevent flooding and other disasters during this year’s rainy season, as well as to store water for the dry season.

Grease the pumps again.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, worgeordie said:

As usual a bit late, its already been raining for weeks...

regards Worgeordie

Yes, the wet season started early but has not been in full swing for the last 2 months up here. Only moderate rain so far in August, after a 3 week dry spell in July, which is supposed to be the second wettest month after September.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, internationalism said:

flood emergency is big and easy money. As well as drought emergencies. And winter time cold spells emergencies.

They are special funds for each occasion, the more problem is exaggerated, the more of uncontrolled help is coming from the central institutions. Those funds are the easiest to squander, because done in haste, unplanned.

So I see the reason, why gen Prawit hangs around those meetings. It's a constant flow of bananas

There again, he may just have quite a lot of time on his hands at the moment...

• Haha 1

I always thought the rainy season started not long after Songkran somewhen in may. My wife confirms this although the rain hasn't been that consistent this year apparently and our rice field needs more water.

Given that the rainy season starts sometime in May and it's half way through August briefing on projections for August an September seem a bit pointless. As we sit here on the 15th August I wonder how accurate their projections for the first half of August are.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The Deputy Prime Minister has directed relevant agencies

I see this every time theres a problem.

Definitely a hands off approach, much like the COVID-19 situation committee he's head off.

15 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

Yes, the wet season started early but has not been in full swing for the last 2 months up here. Only moderate rain so far in August, after a 3 week dry spell in July, which is supposed to be the second wettest month after September.

Not much of a rainy season so far in the Pattaya area either....in fact early July heralded in weather usually seen in March or April, very hot. 

• Like 1