Foreigners in Thailand vaxxed so far: Brits, French and Americans make top ten - just!

webfact

34 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

It's not queue jumping, the Piizer was a donation from the US with a stipulation that 150,000 of the 1.5 million shots be given to foreiners. They didn't specify  Americans so any foreingers could get the shot  any age. If you are farang and haven't got a shot yet it's basically the luck of the draw here.  I managed to get on intervac and got AZ and will get second shot Sept 12th.

Priority was to be given to vulnerable groups.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony125 said:

As in one of the links I sent you if over 75 which you are you matched the requirements for a shot.  But as the article said IF you are over 75 you could walk in, no apointment required . If 60---74 you were supposed to register online for an appointment. They were generous in letting your mate in at 70.

Starting 19 July 2021, all foreigners aged 75 and over, who are residing in Thailand and have yet to receive any COVID-19 vaccines, can register for vaccination by walk-in process at the Central Vaccination Center - Bangsue Grand Station every day between 9:00 - 16:00 hrs.

It said residing in Thaialnd  not just Bangkok, they were of course checking adress and passport. Apointmments had to be made if 60---74  but over 75 were walkins and if you had a youger person drive you say 60--74 they would have been shot as well.  No sure it's available now as was supposed to stop I think Aug 1st

Wondering just how many got infected in the Bangsue super spreader scrum panicking to get jabbed?  Do vaccines have any effect if injected while at the same time being infected?  Just another statistic to add to the daily board. 

4 hours ago, mikebell said:
20 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Registrations from foreigners aged 60+, etc., in that area are being accommodated and vaccinations are being given.   "Ringfencing" is not happening and living in Pattaya does not preclude anyone who qualifies from receiving the vaccination in Bangkok.

Bang Sue is in the epicentre of the pandemic. There were disturbing scenes of pandemonium as desperate people swamped the facilities not helped by corrupt hackers selling appointments on line.  I live in Pattaya so the journey would be stressful/dangerous if I drove myself.  A taxi might involve me in a two hour closet with an unvaccinated driver. Four mates drove there; only 1 made the cut - he was over 70.  They were checking local addresses. This was 3 weeks ago - it may have eased since.

That was many weeks ago and Bangsue is not the only place in Bangkok to get vaccinated and it sure is not "the epicentre of the pandemic", where did you get that nonsense from? 

There are a number of hospitals currently offering registration and vaccination by appointment.  There are also hospitals in the Pattaya/Chonburi area included in the vaccination scheme,  a 60+ friend of mine got her vaccination locally (to you) last week.  AZ.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

30 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Not to mention that the so-called stipulation Tony mentions was never applied to the donation by the US Embassy.  If there was any, it was done by the Thais themselves. The US Charge and the visiting US UN ambassador made a big deal about "No Strings Attached." As a result, we got chaos and controversy about the donation that is still going on.

555 to all those out there that think the people in the US embassy are so smart and know so much more than those of us who actually live in Thai villages off the local economy. Anybody who thinks US embassies know what they're doing should look no further than Kabul. 

Nice way to show gratitude for the 150M Pfizer jabs which I'm certain the Embassy here was deeply involved with. As for Kabul what the hell did they have to do with that? Did they direct the immediate withdrawal? Too bad there is no vaccine for stupid, talk about a long queue. 

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, John Drake said:

The State Department and its embassies, no matter where they are--Bangkok, Kabul, Yangon--tend to be centers of mediocrity. They mess things up. The Pfizer donation illustrates this. Going back to the OP, US citizens are in tenth place, behind British, French, and Filipinos, for receiving a Covid vaccine in Thailand.  This, despite the fact that the US donation of Pfizer was the largest gift to Thailand to date. Why is that the case? Because the US made no provision for prioritizing its own citizens, as China, France, and now Belgium have done. In fact, as revealed in Robblok's earlier post, the US donation has been allocated to entities such as the Singapore Chamber of Commerce, which then promptly did prioritize its citizens. Meanwhile, one scandal after another unfolds with favoritism, corruption, cronyism, and waste being exposed with the distribution of the US Pfizer vaccines. This was a program, I assume, to better the US's image, strengthen their influence, and give them leverage. I don't believe it has done so. I think the reverse has happened. And the indicator of it all is the fact that US citizens, again, as the OP shows, are behind so many other countries in getting their share of the Covid vaccine. And, btw, I should not need to show gratitude for a Covid vaccine that my tax dollars have already paid for, but which I haven't received, while citizens from other countries have. 

As an American, I think we need to take some initiative instead of expecting our embassy take care of us.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That was many weeks ago and Bangsue is not the only place in Bangkok to get vaccinated and it sure is not "the epicentre of the pandemic", where did you get that nonsense from? 

There are a number of hospitals currently offering registration and vaccination by appointment.  There are also hospitals in the Pattaya/Chonburi area included in the vaccination scheme,  a 60+ friend of mine got her vaccination locally (to you) last week.  AZ.

I was talking about what  MikeBell said  He didn't want to go to BKK as 4 friends went and only 1 got vax. He is over 75 and did not need an appointment. Could have driven up with younger of his friends and both got shot. 75 or over  were walkins   60---74 needed apointment unless you were acompaning a 75 year old.  I'm over 70 and for awhile  Chulabhorn in Bkk, Laksi was taking walkins, Farang or Thai as I got shot with AZ.   Sign says " over 70 walk in "

338104.jpg

199341867_758278141510409_5304377360095529065_n.jpg

Edited by Tony125
spelling
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Here' what it looks like in Pattaya now.

Yesterday after vaccination at Central Festival i walked to a pharmacy and after further on second road  on like a ghost town lane , nothing open , no people , unless on 1 bank a 5 people group waiting outside , a real unreal sight if one remember that road in normal times .

On the crossing at the busses to Jomtien  the same call " Jomtie -Jomtien ! " .... but an empty bus waiting there , so i asked joking way how many hours before leaving ? ????

They quick responded with 100 baht  we go ?  I quick agreed  and so for 100 baht i got a BathBus taxi to my condo place 

Remembering the Jomtien Baht Busses loading full & leaving there in normal times at a minute highest ....... sad times for Thais ,

Most of us can praise ourselves very lucky that month by month our money comes in ,  until we close our eyes forever....  

Edited by david555
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

The State Department and its embassies, no matter where they are--Bangkok, Kabul, Yangon--tend to be centers of mediocrity. They mess things up. The Pfizer donation illustrates this. Going back to the OP, US citizens are in tenth place, behind British, French, and Filipinos, for receiving a Covid vaccine in Thailand.  This, despite the fact that the US donation of Pfizer was the largest gift to Thailand to date. Why is that the case? Because the US made no provision for prioritizing its own citizens, as China, France, and now Belgium have done. In fact, as revealed in Robblok's earlier post, the US donation has been allocated to entities such as the Singapore Chamber of Commerce, which then promptly did prioritize its citizens. Meanwhile, one scandal after another unfolds with favoritism, corruption, cronyism, and waste being exposed with the distribution of the US Pfizer vaccines. This was a program, I assume, to better the US's image, strengthen their influence, and give them leverage. I don't believe it has done so. I think the reverse has happened. And the indicator of it all is the fact that US citizens, again, as the OP shows, are behind so many other countries in getting their share of the Covid vaccine. And, btw, I should not need to show gratitude for a Covid vaccine that my tax dollars have already paid for, but which I haven't received, while citizens from other countries have. 

Is that so, I received return emails from Senators' Duckworth and Rubio that they were insured American expats would be insured vaccines from the Pfizer donation. They both stated they have been unindated by emails from expats in Thailand. Are you really naïve enough to think 150M free vaccines were given with no conditions whatsoever? Like 90% on here you buy into BS and it becomes gospel truth to legitimize your political bias.  

We can reasonably define the expat community in Thailand as the combination of Professional and Skilled Workers together with the Temporary stay individuals.

Based on that definition, the number of expats living in Thailand would be 312,944 individuals in November 2018. Among them, 162,237 individuals (51.8%) are categorized as workers.

So I guess what you are suggesting is a program that prioritizes these 312,944 Americans be jabbed first then move on to the rest. Great bit of diplomacy there, let's appoint you Ambassador, JAJAJA!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Yesterday (wednesday) the thai GF (under 60) got message to show up at Udon Thani General Hospital today for her first jab. She just returned after getting Sinovac shot and a new appointment for 7. sept. for AZ. She asked why they are taking her under 60 before me at 67.  "No farang" was the short answer.

6 minutes ago, Hamma said:

Yesterday (wednesday) the thai GF (under 60) got message to show up at Udon Thani General Hospital today for her first jab. She just returned after getting Sinovac shot and a new appointment for 7. sept. for AZ. She asked why they are taking her under 60 before me at 67.  "No farang" was the short answer.

Xenophobia is alive and kicking in the provinces. ☹️☹️

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jazzdog32095 said:

Is that so, I received return emails from Senators' Duckworth and Rubio that they were insured American expats would be insured vaccines from the Pfizer donation. They both stated they have been unindated by emails from expats in Thailand. Are you really naïve enough to think 150M free vaccines were given with no conditions whatsoever? Like 90% on here you buy into BS and it becomes gospel truth to legitimize your political bias.  

We can reasonably define the expat community in Thailand as the combination of Professional and Skilled Workers together with the Temporary stay individuals.

Based on that definition, the number of expats living in Thailand would be 312,944 individuals in November 2018. Among them, 162,237 individuals (51.8%) are categorized as workers.

So I guess what you are suggesting is a program that prioritizes these 312,944 Americans be jabbed first then move on to the rest. Great bit of diplomacy there, let's appoint you Ambassador, JAJAJA!

If thats so the US embassy screwed up so badly I applied for Pfizer July 30th, got an appointment for MedPark the same day for August 13th the same day. I was afforded quality care that likely would go unmatched anywhere in the World. Arrived 10 feet from the door where valet took my car. Returned to my waiting car 44 minutes later including a 30 minute observation period. To state that the US Ambassador had nothing to do with that is utter BS. 

9 minutes ago, jazzdog32095 said:

If thats so the US embassy screwed up so badly I applied for Pfizer July 30th, got an appointment for MedPark the same day for August 13th the same day. I was afforded quality care that likely would go unmatched anywhere in the World. Arrived 10 feet from the door where valet took my car. Returned to my waiting car 44 minutes later including a 30 minute observation period. To state that the US Ambassador had nothing to do with that is utter BS. 

Wow! Friends in high places!! 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, jazzdog32095 said:

Nice way to show gratitude for the 150M Pfizer jabs which I'm certain the Embassy here was deeply involved with. As for Kabul what the hell did they have to do with that? Did they direct the immediate withdrawal? Too bad there is no vaccine for stupid, talk about a long queue. 

1.5 million not 150 million!

1 minute ago, Chris.B said:

Wow! Friends in high places!! 

Not really, just so happens they are elected to work for me. Just a matter of calling them out on what the **** is going on. Maybe if you tried sometime less time you spend here constantly complaining and making up stories.

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, jazzdog32095 said:

I think you better check your info again. The US did not donate 150 million doses of Pfizer they delivered 1.5  million  that's 1 point 5 million  doses with another  1 million supposedly coming soon.  The tatal amount of US citizens in Thailand in 2010 was estimated at 40+ thousand but resent estimates say could be as high as 100,000 now ,or at least before the pandemic. .  If they had donated 150 million doses you could shoot every person in Thailand farang, Thai, and other Asians with 2 doses. 75 million X 2

Edited by Tony125
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, robblok said:

I am under 60 have signed up for moderna that got pushed back. All I did was register somewhere where others could register too. So it was a fair playingfield. I just got the information fast because i had some friends who look at facebook (i dont).

Morally i would feel it would be indefensible if it was sure that the vaccine that i took would have gone to someone better, but that was not the case. They set the rules and anyone could register with SG people having priority. So had i not taken it someone else probably even younger then me would have taken it. Most people who were there were far younger then me. But i was not the only white guy so they really let everyone in.

But yes it could have been given to someone else if there was a functioning system. This is just a government cock up that i took advantage of. 

But how about workers far younger that take shots before old people (is being done too). Fact is there are so many exceptions and strange things like for instance in Phuket everyone gets vaccinated younger too for the sandbox. Is that defensible.

Like i said i would feel bad if i took advantage in a working system. Now I just was lucky and you could have been too had you seen that post and filled in the link. Basically i also did it because my moderna was pushed back from q4 to q 2 next year. 

I think it also depends where you live. I am in Surat Thani- it might as well be the back of nowhere.  The first opportunity I've had to get anywhere near the vaccine is the new 'expatvac' site.  And I'm not holding my breath there, either.

No, I'm not blaming you at all Rob.  I do think the system absolutely stinks though. 95% of deaths occur in the over 60's.  We are the ones that need it most.

• Like 2

On 8/18/2021 at 1:39 PM, SeaMike01 said:

I'm an American. I just got my first dose today at BNH. Didn't think it was ever going to happen at the rate things were progressing. Once inside they were very organized. It went well. My next dose will be in September, which is sooner than I expected.

Which vaccine did you get?

1 hour ago, Tony125 said:

I think you better check your info again. The US did not donate 150 million doses of Pfizer they delivered 1.5  million  that's 1 point 5 million  doses with another  1 million supposedly coming soon.  The tatal amount of US citizens in Thailand in 2010 was estimated at 40+ thousand but resent estimates say could be as high as 100,000 now ,or at least before the pandemic. .  If they had donated 150 million doses you could shoot every person in Thailand farang, Thai, and other Asians with 2 doses. 75 million X 2

Sorry, typo but you made my point. US citizens along with the 360K total expats in the country that

QUALIFY can get tabbed. I'm living proof and I don't live in BKK. Thanks for the correction and the joy it brought you.

• Sad 3

42 minutes ago, jazzdog32095 said:

Sorry, typo but you made my point. US citizens along with the 360K total expats in the country that

QUALIFY can get tabbed. I'm living proof and I don't live in BKK. Thanks for the correction and the joy it brought you.

Why the sad faces fellas, still can't understand how to sign up and get jabbed. You should click sad & confused.

19 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Thank you - got my 1st jab at Central Pattaya yesterday.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2021 at 9:11 AM, lightsidecat said:

Struggling a bit believing these numbers.  It implies roughly only 16% of Brit's and 11% of Americans have received even a first dose vaccine.  Would have thought  by now it would have been much higher.  The French and Japanese numbers look in line though.

No they don't, if I remember the French were giving their nationales the vaccine, so why would they go to the thai government? I am a French national so I clearly remember the article. 

On 8/19/2021 at 3:40 PM, Chris.B said:

Xenophobia is alive and kicking in the provinces. ☹️☹️

No, the farang did not show up for the Sinovac/AZ combo, so they are giving it to the Thais. Makes sense to me, don't waste the doses. I showed up for the Sinovac and they gave the tirak a dose too. Looking forward to the AZ this week. Any port in a storm.

• Like 1