Thailand wants answers over berry pickers’ Covid-19 outbreaks in Finland

webfact

18 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Transportation, tax, housing, then add in two week quarantine (no longer free) on return, they can't be clearing much?

They borrow money for their trip and can't afford the payments when they return due to bad harvest. So the family is in debt and we know what happens after that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Judging from my experience yesterday I would imagine the Thais were not wearing masks.  My 1st stop was the local service station:  owner, wife, and two attendants, none had masks.  2nd stop local photo shop:  two in attendance, old lady had mask, young guy none.  3rd stop:  a govt office:  approx 6 in attendance all wearing masks however two of them, who I noticed were quite attractive ladies and wondered whether that was relative, wore their masks on their sleeves even when wandering back and forth to adjoining offices.  And friends call me paranoid coz I dont like to leave home?

Edited by ThaiFelix

4 hours ago, tonray said:

Maybe a better question is why in supposedly one of the most 'developed' economies in SE Asia, Thai citizens need to travel overseas to Scandinavia to work as farm laborers. 

Good rates of pay and working conditions probably cover much of that query.

• Thanks 1

Maybe a better question is why in supposedly one of the most 'developed' economies in SE Asia, Thai citizens need to travel overseas to Scandinavia to work as farm laborers. 

Money makes the world go round, the world go round, the world go round...

That said there are lots of Thai ladies in Finland already... 

2 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

Judging from my experience yesterday I would imagine the Thais were not wearing masks.  My 1st stop was the local service station:  owner, wife, and two attendants, none had masks.  2nd stop local photo shop:  two in attendance, old lady had mask, young guy none.  3rd stop:  a govt office:  approx 6 in attendance all wearing masks however two of them, who I noticed were quite attractive ladies and wondered whether that was relative, wore their masks on their sleeves even when wandering back and forth to adjoining offices.  And friends call me paranoid coz I dont like to leave home?

Not sure where you are but in BKK i see almost everyone with a mask the only ones that did not have a mask were some construction workers.

• Like 1

For information, Finland is not a part of Scandinavia, but it is a Nordic Country.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Thailand wants answers over berry pickers’ Covid-19 outbreaks in Finland

Finland wants answers over why so many of its citizens in Thailand are still waiting to receive a vaccine jab.

Maybe because so many Thai citizens in Thailand are also waiting? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tonray said:

Isn't it because the migrants from next door are cheaper labor than Thai workers?

7 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

"Thailand wants answers over berry pickers’ Covid-19 outbreaks in Finland"

Answer: Some Burmese migrants slipped over the border with Russia and selectively infected Thai berry pickers.

Burma (Myanmar) does not have a border with Russia.

51 minutes ago, perconrad said:

For information, Finland is not a part of Scandinavia, but it is a Nordic Country.

Geographically it isn't, but culturally, it is.    www.scandinaviastandard.com

The companies are obligated to provide appropriate treatment and compensation if migrant workers do get Covid as well as providing health insurance, accommodation, and transportation

I'm sure Thai migrant workers get treated better than any migrant workers in Thailand. Two faced hypocrisy at it's best