Suan Dusit Poll: many Thais can't hang on much longer as pandemic continues

webfact

Untitled-1.jpg

Bangkok Business News reported the latest findings from a Suan Dusit University poll.

It was about spending power and revealed that just over a third of Thais can only last three more months until their finances go bust.

Only 12% would be able to ride things out for between a year and two.

1,274 people were asked questions last week. 

40.22% spoke of increased costs in the pandemic.

42% were using money from savings to get by.

Four fifths of all Thais had abandoned frivolous expenditure and were concentrating on important costs.

86% called on more help from the government in terms of utility bills, internet charges and gasoline prices. 

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

asean_now_BB.jpg
  • Sad 2

With most of my time spent in Isaan, I don’t see many signs of change.  People here never had much money.

Paradoxically, you’d think that assets like farmland would come down.  They’ve gone up.  And I don’t see distress sales of late model cars or trucks.

Down in the tourist areas, things could be different.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

I would suggest that most in the civil service have done ok, reasonable monthly salary with some savings, teachers etc have had it easy.

Daily workers have had to dig deep and are in trouble.

I would suggest that most civil servants live ( like most Thais ) well byond their means and most of what thay have is bought on credit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I would suggest that most in the civil service have done ok, reasonable monthly salary with some savings, teachers etc have had it easy.

Daily workers have had to dig deep and are in trouble.

And there are an awful lot of daily workers.

Edited by herfiehandbag

This whole Pandemic is 1 big joke and Thailand will have a hard time to recover when this will be over.
I have read estimates from more than 10 years before the economy will recover.
Thanks to Prayuth and his croonies.

I was last week in Central Plaza and at Tops supermarket were a lot of people walking around, touching the fruits and vegetables with their bare hands.
Some people had meet a friend and were chatting.
But fear not, Prayuth has ordered Covid-19 to stay out of there and let the people do their shopping.

On the top floor, hundreds of people were gathered to get their vaccination.
Other people speaks of more than 1.000 people in 1 day.
But fear not, Prayuth has ordered Covid-19 to stay out of there and let the people get vaccinated.

The little shops in the food hall were closed and the seats were removed.
Apparently Prayuth did not order Covid-19 to stay out of there and the Virusses are waiting to infect a solitary person who dares to sit there.

This is all a silly show from the Government to see how far they can push their orders before the people start to revolt.

• Like 2

Surprise for all you posters who can afford to live where you are at.  Thailand is not

just a country of the rich. There are many poor people all over the country and they are

the ones hurting, especially any that live in the city.  The farmers can at least grow and eat their own food,

and survive on less money than people in the cities. Be happy that your retirement money is enough, if

you indeed live in Thailand. 

Geezer

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Joseph98765 said:

Only saying...a sideliner website I follow went in 2 weeks from 26 university girls to 460...just saying...

At the rate this pandemic is going, those girls might have to break down and accept "dirty falang" customers.

23 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

And how many Thais had any savings in the first place? 

Yep. Even before the pandemic, the outlook wasn't exactly rosy for regular work-a-day Thais.

Feudalism: It is a b*tch.

• Like 2

No disrespect intended, but I am positively surprised that so many have been able to tide themselves over for so long. Hard times for a lot of people here (and elsewhere). 

4 hours ago, djayz said:

No disrespect intended, but I am positively surprised that so many have been able to tide themselves over for so long. Hard times for a lot of people here (and elsewhere). 

Some of them are looking rough over here(though it might just be their style of dress) and I suspect some may even be homeless. 

When I see foreigners sitting on the ground and eating out of polystyrene containers in unlit and closed down shop fronts at night, it's not clear to me if it is by choice.

Same when I saw a foreigner eating similarly on the beach and then setting up to sleep there. Asked if okay and was told that he lived on the dark side and home was too far away. 

Left him a little cash despite his story.

Happily you don't need a lot to survive here.

A little help can go a long way.

The billionaires of the World Economic Forum say you will own nothing, you will have no privacy, and you will be happy.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/worldeconomicforum/2016/11/10/shopping-i-cant-really-remember-what-that-is-or-how-differently-well-live-in-2030/

I'd say they got to 2 out of 3 so far.

If they don't drop the lock down soon it will be hard to stop social unrest.