Car Suggestions

TheRascal

My partner is pregnant and we want to buy a car before the baby is born. Would be interested in car suggestions from any members with a baby. I like the new Civic and the Camry, she prefers Mazda CX30. 

I'm concerned that all of those might be a little small when it comes to fitting a buggy easily. Corolla Cross, CH-R, CX5 or CRV are also an option. Fortuna and the like are probably a little too big for generally driving around BKK. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Bought a CX-5. Well impressed. If that helps.

No kids now, but brought up four as a single dad and the CX-5 would have been perfect.

That's really helpful thank you - CX-5 does look like a better sized option. Which model did you go for?

28 minutes ago, TheRascal said:

That's really helpful thank you - CX-5 does look like a better sized option. Which model did you go for?

2.2 DLX ? 

Quite powerful, very easy to drive.

You do get a little diesel "knock" at low revs, otherwise you would think it was a petrol engine.

17 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You know that children's buggies are collapsible and will fit into any car, including the smallest of your choices?

I know they fold but I didn't know how small. Dumb I know, I have no experience with this kind of thing! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheRascal said:

I know they fold but I didn't know how small. Dumb I know, I have no experience with this kind of thing! 

Packing for 5 mins out with a toddler is about the same as you and your wife packing for a 2 week holiday - so that's how much space you need for a supermarket trip - then enough for the groceries (which also double) on top.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

I think an SUV would be more suitable than a sedan.  We have a CR-V and love the size, the ride, the comfort, the height, and the cargo flexibility.  We feel it's not too big and not too small.  The rear doors open very wide so fitting a child car seat should be a breeze.  The Cross and CX 5 would be other choices, as well as the MG models.  

Mazda CX5 is a great, reasonably priced Japanese car. Very well received, and reviewed around the world. I know women who own them back in Australia and they love them. Honda's are extremely very well put together. But, sadly (in my opinion) they tend to make ugly cars. I'm a bit of a car-snob and wouldn't touch a Kia or such type vehicles with a barge pole.

Your ideas on size in BKK is a valid one especially if the car is daily driver.

If you have the bucks go and buy a Mercedes GLC.

Anything Honda or Toyota will be a winner, but personally I couldn't live in Thailand without a pickup truck. 

We've always driven a double cab hilux and the baby carseat works flawlessly in the back. Toyota has "Isofix" mounting brackets for baby seats. Honda probably does too. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LarrySR said:

All cars on your list are excellent choices.

The Honda Civic has remote start so you can have the air conditioning going a few minutes before you get inside. That's nice.

Civic saloon has quite a large boot and of course there is the hatchback version to consider.

53 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

If you have the bucks go and buy a Mercedes GLC.

Nice car but forget it if you're over 6 foot high (or 193+ cm).

You have to sit stooped or your head rubs on the roof... even with the seat adjusted to provide maximum head room.

Been there... done that... got the T-short 555...

15 minutes ago, Jai Dee said:

You have to sit stooped or your head rubs on the roof... even with the seat adjusted to provide maximum head room.

I'm 6' 2 1/2', my girl has one and its quite comfy to sit and ride in for both head and leg room. Back seat is another matter.

Depends how much you want to spend etc. We have a Suzuki Ciaz which I really enjoy with great gas consumption. Baby buggy would fit in the trunk fine. Very comfortable car with plenty of room. It sounds like you are sold on an SUV…..a bit heavy and bulky for me. I used the Suzuki dealership in Korat and they always gave great service with intelligent staff and mechanics. Good luck on the car and baby.

19 minutes ago, Jai Dee said:

193 cm is considerably over 6'

I have a BMW M Sport, the wife a Evoque (range rover), probably the safest car's i've driven, was brought up with the brands, and Volvo.

At the same time we have a Ranger (pickup), i wouldn't like to be in the crash in that to say the least. 

I think if you are going to buy a car for children in mind, you go for the strongest European brand you can find in Thailand, its not about 'status' as status is no good if you end up dead, i briefly had a Ford Sports Fiesta and was involved in a accident in that about 8yrs ago, the car was totalled from all sides. 

Had family friends that had honda's and the like and likewise they just crease up like a tin can.

you want that structural steel reinforcement that some of the European brands (German, British, Scandinavian) put into them (over-engineering).

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

CX30 is a good value vehicle. I bought a mid level CX 3 because there are only two of us and it was good value but I did prefer test driving the CX30 and the CX30 had a nicer finish and more comfortable seating. The CX30 doesn't have a lot of rear seat legroom though, but it does have a good height profile on the road for its size. I live in Bangkok and I prefer a vehicle with more height than a sedan, both so that you have a better view around you and so that the passing scooter's handle bars are lower than the vehicle side mirror height, hence less chance of the mirrors getting wacked.

First of all, check with Mrs. Rascal to determine whether junior will be a one-off or the first of several. You'll want to buy a car based upon family size a few years out, both in terms of number and in terms of physical size of the occupants.

With several children, a CRV was an excellent choice when they were little. When they were teenagers, a Fortuner was a better fit. 

35 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

I'm 6' 2 1/2', my girl has one and its quite comfy to sit and ride in for both head and leg room. Back seat is another matter.

You and I must have slightly different body shapes then because I am the same height and I found the GLC very snug and the top of my head was touching the roof in the driver's seat... very amoving.

I prefer to sit reasonably upright when driving, not lying down in an inclined position.

It did however have a sunroof, so maybe the extra depth of the roof made the difference?

No problems for me with the GLE... a much roomier vehicle.

But they come at a cost... $$$