SURVEY: Will Thailand continue to be a favorable destination for retirees?

Scott

SURVEY: Will Thailand continue to be a favorable destination for retirees?  

407 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Medicare offers no coverage to Americans living abroad. A reason to pay extra for Part B is to avoid harsh penalties if you repatriate.

Absolutely understand that and plan to pay for Medicare since I'll spend a lot of time in US also, but the "no coverage in Thailand" bit is why I'm looking for information on a supplemental plan that will cover me in Thailand.    

Edited by madisongy
addition
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GStewart70 said:

No irony.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-house-price-index-for-june-2021#:~:text=The June data shows%3A,UK valued at £265%2C668

Fact.

Just glad i dont come on this forum everyday begging the Thai government to open the borders to save the titty bar i stuck all my money in.

No mention of 4% inflation by xmas then in UK,that in turn will drag interest rates up,bound too,  see the index sightly off beam then

13 minutes ago, madisongy said:

Absolutely understand that and plan to pay for Medicare since I'll spend a lot of time in US also, but the "no coverage in Thailand" bit is why I'm looking for information on a supplemental plan that will cover me in Thailand.    

There is none except govt hospitals     but the english guy charged  close on $40,000  for pacemaker here,would cost close on 6000 Malaysia  or 2400 to 4000 India

1 minute ago, fredscats said:

No mention of 4% inflation by xmas then in UK,that in turn will drag interest rates up,bound too,  see the index sightly off beam then

Sounds like you sold everything in the UK.

You still seem very interested in the housing market and interest rates in the UK.

I think any uptick in inflation will be temporary.

Why are you worried about inflation in the UK?

Shouldn't you be more concerned about exchange rates and inflation in Thailand?

I own, outright, 2 properties in the UK and the housing market is projected to continue to do very well.

I wouldn't want to own anything in Thailand.

It's that simple.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GStewart70 said:

Sorry i upset you  by replying to your comment.

It's called a discussion.

No need to be defensive and offensive.

Get back to cleaning out the buffalo shed.

Not discussion, sweeping generalisations in a feeble attempt to paint a picture based on failures rather than success.

Yep I clean up muck hence my response to your unfortunate copy and paste opinion of marriage and retirement in Thailand.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

That's the foreigners own fault for being so stupid. You get unattractive overweight foreigners who cannot score in their own countries who are financially well off, come to Thailand, and then get the first attractive young mother they meet, most likely in a bar, and then buy them a house, car etc. Is it any wonder that some foreigners get taken advantage of?

The poster with the saddo emotican. Are you one of them? ????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 473geo said:

Not discussion, sweeping generalisations in a feeble attempt to paint a picture based on failures rather than success.

Yep I clean up muck hence my response to your unfortunate copy and paste opinion of marriage and retirement in Thailand.

You mistake me for someone who gives a second thought to you.

You have an opinion, i have mine.

Personally, i can't think of anything more feeble than mucking out a buffalo shed in my old age but I'm sure you are of use.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Whale said:

I did retire here after working here for decades. Would I retire here again at my age. No way. It has lost its uniqueness, its "Thainess" has disappeared . It is just an ugly internationalised row of McDonalds, car dealerships, 7/11s and supermarkets now.

I enjoyed being a foreigner. here once now there are foreigners everywhere, every village, every building, every corner, we are ubiquitous. The Thais don't particularly like us anymore as well. 

I do admit I have become jaded, probably been here too long. Time to move on.

I, too, decided to stay on after working here. But I don't see too many other foreigners around, especially in my village. I'm on the outskirts of Bangkok, almost in Nakhon Pathom, and the last time there was another foreigner living in the village was 2011. He moved out after the big flood of that year. And I do wonder if a lot of foreigners have left or, well, passed on during this Covid lockdown. Anecdotal as it may be, the number of familiar names posting to this forum have dwindled significantly. Even when my former employer, Mahidol University, supplied retirees with Covid vaccinations, I only saw a handful of foreigners show up. It was almost all Thais. Otherwise, I've become so settled in dealing with things, physicians, hospitals, public transportation, the convenience of small shops and eateries in my village, that I don't want to think about returning to the US. Never again to getting building permits costing thousands of dollars just to reinstall a deck. No more getting separate insurance for cars, health, house (superstructure), house (foundation), house (flood), theft, and living my life attached to login IDs and passwords. You can't even die in the United States without paying a fortune for "services." A world full of fees, regulations, rules, and requirements that makes Thai Immigration look like a holiday resort. I can avoid almost all that <deleted>, here. 

Thailand will continue to be a top destination for retirees, unless the government once and fully muffs it up by instituting unreasonable financial or impossible insurance requirements. Every year we read another proposal to "attract wealthy foreigners", but it never seems to get easier does it? 

The pandemic completely screwed up my mode of living, so we will see if and ever the redeculous hindrances to international travel abate?  I was told years ago to never buy a condo in Thailand on many outlandish speculations. Nobody said anything about a virus. Being locked out of the country 10 months was the final wake-up call for me, an extremely costly and disruptive one. With no legitimate path to permanent residence for me and, potential health care/ insurance issues Just made it more clear to me almost every expat needs a plan B.  

So now my plan B is my plan A.    Whats in YOUR bug-out bag?

Chewing gum can loose it's flavour in any country you live in after 15 years, but Thailand is still very cheap to live outside Bangkok.

If you come from NZ, Oz, UK or USA have a look at your Immigration requirements.

The Thai rules & regulations you say are tedious but really ,,,fairly easy to comply.

At fear of repeating myself, if not prepared to keep 800,000 Bht in a Thai bank

maybe you should not consider even thinking about living here

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Cannot speak about the others but for Australians Bangkok was the best stopover on the way to Europe.  I believe this will end with Singapore opening first after covid.  It may not appear to be a big thing but airlines are fuel driven and with more economical engines now they will use Singapore as a hub. (Easier to do business)  This will leave Thailand as a branch holiday etc., and will also lead to less word of mouth publicity ergo retirees.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nojohndoe said:

So how or why is it that the "complicated " visa process still leaves Thailand "suitable" for a month or two  visit?

Cause the obtaining for an 30 days visa exempt visa were doable in comparison with any of their other complicated longer staying visa requirements. Besides that i will never go to any country where its mandatory  to wear these useless face masks.

Voted for the first choice - for my lifestyle and circumstances Thailand is probably the best country to stay. I say "stay", not "retire", as retirement is by definition a long and finite process which can't  be done with 1 year tourist-like extensions. Of course getting a 10 year visa is always an option, but I don't want to commit at this time for such a period.

My prediction is that within 5-10 years Thailand would be "no country for hansum men".  IMO the financial requirements will probably double at least, and mandatory insurance introduced even for the Non-O visas. On top of that Asia is rising economically, especially the incomes and the cost of living. Have you seen a 25 yo cute Singaporean girl with 55 yo hansum man? I haven't.

The Democratic Republic of Congo is waiting for the adventurous ????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Cause the obtaining for an 30 days visa exempt visa were doable in comparison with any of their other complicated longer staying visa requirements. Besides that i will never go to any country where its mandatory  to wear these useless face masks.

Oh ! Ok.

2 hours ago, John Drake said:

I, too, decided to stay on after working here. But I don't see too many other foreigners around, especially in my village. I'm on the outskirts of Bangkok, almost in Nakhon Pathom, and the last time there was another foreigner living in the village was 2011. He moved out after the big flood of that year. And I do wonder if a lot of foreigners have left or, well, passed on during this Covid lockdown. Anecdotal as it may be, the number of familiar names posting to this forum have dwindled significantly. Even when my former employer, Mahidol University, supplied retirees with Covid vaccinations, I only saw a handful of foreigners show up. It was almost all Thais. Otherwise, I've become so settled in dealing with things, physicians, hospitals, public transportation, the convenience of small shops and eateries in my village, that I don't want to think about returning to the US. Never again to getting building permits costing thousands of dollars just to reinstall a deck. No more getting separate insurance for cars, health, house (superstructure), house (foundation), house (flood), theft, and living my life attached to login IDs and passwords. You can't even die in the United States without paying a fortune for "services." A world full of fees, regulations, rules, and requirements that makes Thai Immigration look like a holiday resort. I can avoid almost all that <deleted>, here. 

Lots of truth to that about ownership in the US.

I have found the trick for me, is to do the maintenance myself?  Cheap and simple if you don't mind doing some manual labor.

I just removed and installed new siding on my my home here and the permit was 152 dollars? So, not sure where you lived, but thousands is a little out of bounds..  Just redid both of my bathrooms, tile, tubs and trimmings. No permit fees.

I own the house so dropped the house insurance all together. Retired so pay out of pocket for insurance deductable. 

Own the truck I drive so only pay liability.

You can be cremated in the US cheap. My first GF's mom died in Thailand and they threw a party for 3 days and then burned her. I asked about the cost and it was over 3 grand and that was about 13 years ago.

Bottom line is you don't have to pay all the fee's in the US. You just need to manage you money properly and it will fall into place. And not be so lazy. My neighbors think like you do and they spend a fortune on the houses. It is insane.

I miss the cheap meals and eating out, the US is insanely expensive for dining out and going out.  

I am a little paranoid and distrustful of governments. I try to insulate myself from the all in theory of retirement overseas. So I work hard at it.

Not to mention I can OWN  property here. Property values are at an all time high. 

Downside is you have to pay taxes on it here in the states. Good news is I got my taxes frozen when I retired.

Edited by garyk

21 hours ago, Maha Sarakham said:

This entire pandemic has been a stake in the heart for Thailand as far as I'm concerned.  I don't see any possible scenario where they come out of this with anything near what they had before.

Not to mention the govt did it to themselves with corruption & incompetence. Thais are not racist. The rich elites treat ordinary Thais like dirt.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GStewart70 said:

Sounds like you sold everything in the UK.

You still seem very interested in the housing market and interest rates in the UK.

I think any uptick in inflation will be temporary.

Why are you worried about inflation in the UK?

Shouldn't you be more concerned about exchange rates and inflation in Thailand?

I own, outright, 2 properties in the UK and the housing market is projected to continue to do very well.

I wouldn't want to own anything in Thailand.

It's that simple.

Simple is as simple does. " I sound like blah blah blah"  You know nothing sunshine,never will either,a poser on the hoof "you think inflation will be a temp thing"  is that right?  its here to stay and 4% forecast for xmas,which  duh  pushes interest rates up ,in turn pushes GBP up...nope you do not read and most importantly do not understand anything

LOL"  I own two properties in UK"  lol   that right ! lol,"and housing market to do very well"    not just a poser but a duffer on the loose too,  seems odd tho you do not pay any rates,but any tenents do not as well,...got to be dumps    prob those sold off at 1 pound each  ,rate free for 3 years     or am I wrong    ?  think not  lol

16 minutes ago, medina21 said:

I've never had a problem with immigration apart from the usual requests for more photocopies, but that happens in all countries when you deal with bureaucrats. Sure, 90 day reporting is a pain, but I do it by post and that works well.

I have health insurance and the premium is circa 53,000 with a deductible of 300,000; I'm late 60s. My rent is a fraction of what I'd have to pay for a similar prime location in a UK/European capital. The electricity and water bills are peanuts. The internet connection is vastly superior to many parts of my home country. The sun shines and I have a pool and gym at my disposal, plus the beaches are a short flight or bus/van ride distant.

Ninety nine percent of my interactions with Thais have been positive. There are a'holes in every nation on earth. The Thais in my condo are delightful and I enjoy friendly banter with the staff in my local 7/11. The street vendors in the nearest soi are full of smiles and waves.

This is my fourth country. Nowhere is perfect, nowhere. Does the bureaucracy suck in Siam? Sure it does, but have you experienced Greece, Italy, Spain or France? Of course there are problems here, but have a look at the Anglo Saxon world and its obsession with wokery. Take your pick. If you are having a down day, just imagine Biden, Trudeau, Macron. Morrison, Ardern or Johnson as your PM and maybe you'll have a different perspective on life in Siam.  

I've no problem with the 'retirement visa' financial requirements. If they do a 'Malaysia', I won't stay, but I can't see them doing that. With the catastrophic decline in tourism, the government needs every satang it can gather.

So, for the moment, the combination of sun, swimming pool, and relaxed lifestyle suits me well. You can make bad choices anywhere, but you can make good choices too - up to you. Just avoid 'buffalo broken leg syndrome' and you'll be fine ????

Too true   now dark nights are a feature esp UK  its a grim place for sure,bright hot sunshine,got cleaners/gardeners,never have that in UK,everything to hand,but I travel light,not owning anything,excellent pensions,can rent forever,wherever at my choosing.  Woke never effected by it,can always write something to someone back home without a knock on your door by plod

Not nice getting old,but making right provision in earlier life sure oils the confidence that nothing can touch you     

do not have medical cover  way too much,got accident cover ,but am used to going to nearby countries for selective/elective medical care,small fraction of Thailands outrageous medical rates  ,private I should say

Edited by fredscats

8 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I think you have a few buffalo loose in the top paddock.

Hes got more than that loose in the top paddock.  This (whatever u like to call him) must be a buffoon,why would anybody start sprouting the absolute bullsh.it he does " Ive 2 houses  ,dont pay rates" idiotic rants  so what?  This poster needs help from from somewhere,obv insecure  look at me  look at me    seen a few likened to this one,but admit not many,could laugh at his antics if not so pathetic

On 9/5/2021 at 2:05 PM, 4MyEgo said:

Have been here just on 6 years, the only thing that has really changed for me is that I have become awoke as to how uneducated and racist the Thai people are, e.g. Thai's 1st, everyone else 2nd, this was clearly evident with this pandemic.

"The Thai people" are like that? All of them? Or are there differences between Thai people?

And about Thais first: I think in (almost?) every country people with the countries nationality, and who pay tax, think they should be first priority - or at least not lower priority than others.

I and many farangs I know were vaccinated before many Thai  people who I know. Nobody openly complained but some asked rhetorically: Why are you already fully vaccinated and me and my Thai family are still waiting for the first shot. I understand that.

And imagine in i.e. the UK if those immigrants get vaccinated before those real English people I know who will complain loudest... 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And about Thais first: I think in (almost?) every country people with the countries nationality, and who pay tax, think they should be first priority - or at least not lower priority than others.

Thinking is one thing, but outright discriminating is WRONG and you won't find that in most countries, I know in Australia, if you fit the criteria, your in, period, not based on your nationality.

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I and many farangs I know were vaccinated before many Thai  people who I know. Nobody openly complained but some asked rhetorically: Why are you already fully vaccinated and me and my Thai family are still waiting for the first shot. I understand that.

If you are over 60 and or have an underlying condition, or now under 60 with an underlying condition, you would have received a vaccine like many Thai's, but my comment was for way before they included farangs, we were out in the cold for a while, nothing for us, or do you have a short memory ?

I too could have had AZ on the 7yh of June with Thai's because I have an underlying condition and am over 60, but chose not too, so it went to someone else, I received Pfizer last month and having my 2nd dose in a week, compliments of the USA, not Thailand, although administered by them.

I have also read many farangs here on the forum being turned away, with comments such as Thai's only or Thai's 1st, maybe later.

The only reason Thai's started giving shots to farangs is because of pressure from embassies, some even vaccinating their own, like the French.