Anutin: No one said we'd open the country and Bangkok on October 1st

webfact

4 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

All going horribly wrong for them. No tourism relief more economic misery is certainly coming and on a massive scale.

Look to China and Evergrande defaulting on $600 billion worth of debt yesterday. That is Lehman Brother's size defaulting. Sure to have massive economic impact regionally and perhaps globally. The impacts on Thai tourism will no doubt be felt.

Anutin appears to know that he's caught between a rock and hard place now, their failed vaccine procurement has come back to bite them and restricted how quick they can open up again.

No matter, economic disaster is a certainty now whatever happens. 

My advice would be to get your money in safe havens such as precious metals and crypto, because there will be few places you can shelter from the coming storm.

Evergrande debt is 300 billion not 600, not that it makes much difference in the end when they are into hundreds billions

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kadilo said:

Current prediction from this site is at current vaccination rates they could have 70% fully vaccinated late December. 

Happy Xmas 

https://covidvax.live/en/location/tha

As far as i can see on worldofdata Thailand is now close to 20% fully vaccinated.

Then i tried to look at those countries that actually has reached 70 % +

https://ourworldindata.org/explorers/coronavirus-data-explorer?zoomToSelection=true&facet=none&pickerSort=asc&pickerMetric=location&Metric=People+fully+vaccinated&Interval=7-day+rolling+average&Relative+to+Population=true&Align+outbreaks=false&country=ISR~GIB~MLT~PRT~ARE~ISL~QAT~ESP~IMN~DNK~URY~CHL~BEL~THA~USA

It took most of them approx 4-5 months to get from 20% fully vaccinated to 70 %, so if Thailand follows the same pace, we might have to look into early 2022 before they reach 70%, but the question is how many they want vaccinated before they choose to open up.

On the other hand there is US who reached 20% in April, but in September they are still below 55%

Israel reached 20% in January but has not reached 70 % yet.

3 minutes ago, Virt said:

As far as i can see on worldofdata Thailand is now close to 20% fully vaccinated.

https://ourworldindata.org/explorers/coronavirus-data-explorer?zoomToSelection=true&facet=none&pickerSort=asc&pickerMetric=location&Metric=People+fully+vaccinated&Interval=7-day+rolling+average&Relative+to+Population=true&Align+outbreaks=false&country=ISR~GIB~MLT~PRT~ARE~ISL~QAT~ESP~IMN~DNK~URY~CHL~BEL~THA~USA

It took most of them approx 4-5 months to get from 20% fully vaccinated to 70 %, so if Thailand follows the same pace, we might have to look into early 2022 before they reach 70%, but the question is how many they want vaccinated before they choose to open up.

On the other hand there is US who reached 20% in April, but in September they are still below 55%

I think ideally they would like to reach the 70% target by year end and at current rates they should meet that. I’m not sure what the vac rates were in the countries you quoted but not many would have injected 600-800,000/day Thailand is managing I don’t believe. 

With the “learn to live with it” drive and the clear “Health vs Economy” now appearing to shift it will probably be a timed decision for the Xmas/NY peaks tourism rather than a definite % target. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Look to China and Evergrande defaulting on $600 billion worth of debt yesterday.

You have a link to that as here it states they have suspended trading.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/evergrande-suspends-trading-of-onshore-corporate-bonds-after-downgrade-51631786843

Potentially on its way to default but not quite there yet..........

8 minutes ago, Virt said:

In norway reach 65,20% fully vaccinated.But still not open fully.

3 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

With the “learn to live with it” drive and the clear “Health vs Economy” now appearing to shift it will probably be a timed decision for the Xmas/NY peaks tourism rather than a definite % target. 

Maybe next year, I don't expect much before the end of this year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Current prediction from this site is at current vaccination rates they could have 70% fully vaccinated late December. 

Happy Xmas 

https://covidvax.live/en/location/tha

You've been posting this virtually daily for weeks now.

I sure hope it does happen.

Will it happen? Who knows?, I doubt it though.

I would be frankly, amazed, if Thailand "fully" opens up for tourism this year. There is nobody more desperate to come back to Thailand than myself . Even me though, I wont go back until, everything is open, no "quarantine", no C.O.E. etc. etc etc.

"Hopefully", early next year, may be possible.....as I say though, who knows...certainly not me!  

The fact that people "book and plan" their holidays etc etc etc, seems to be lost on the clowns in Thai Tourism/Govt. etc,   they are expecting millions of people to flock back into Thailand, as soon as "they " say they can.................Thats not going to happen....as much as Id love it to be true!

• Like 2

It's not just Thailand but the whole world is trapped in a spiral of incompetent people pretending to know something about a situation that is impossible to control.

All argumentation is justified by peoples titles like "experts" "academics" or "prominent doctors" .

How about they try to analyse the situation about past successes and failures and try to draw conclusions from there because this just looks like continuing going downhill and reinforcing their delusional opinion.

2 hours ago, Virt said:

They need to speed up their vaccinations if they intend to fully reopen this year.

It's not impossible for them to reach 70% + fully vaccinated this year, but it will require some effort.

Anyone know how the anti vax feelings are in to Thailand.

Lots of sceptics or do they just want their shots so the wheels can start turning again?

I believe it is possible to reopen Thailand before the year end too. That is, if they focus on what actually matters, which is vaccination of up to 70% of the entire population, with internationally recognized vaccines. Not just the people of Bangkok or other areas they want to reopen for tourism. 

They are keep on saying that "we must vaccinate over 70% of people in this area and that area" "and then it will be able to reopen for tourists".  But the truth is, foreign nations will look at vaccination rate of Thailand as a whole, not by region.  So they won't be taken off the red list or travel ban if they focus on regional efforts. 

It doesn't matter what they think.  The world doesn't revolve around Thai standards.  

In case of Phuket, it was possible to reopen because Phuket is an island.  

I also read that they are aiming to vaccinate school faculties and students by mid November.  Something like this makes me wonder what makes them think that they could reopen the country for tourism in October.  

What I think is that they already know that they won't be able to reopen before November, possibly before the end of the year.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Thailand is a shadow of the country I first visited 25 years ago. The military and its contacts are bleeding it dry. Once my extremely lucrative work contract is finished I will be spending much more time overseas.

I think this is very interesting because a few years ago it really looked like they could make it and the only serious contender in Asia that could have put itself on one level with Japan and Korea.

But this situation shows that's it's just another SEA nation and poor countries will always be poor and rich countries will always be rich and as long as we live we wont see much change in that.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

"No one said there was a specific date," he claimed. "And what Bangkok decides is up to them - they have their own committees"

what would the nation have done without this competent leader!

Who could they blame for all the promises that cant be fulfilled?

lets crucify migrant labour!