Lessons to be learned about Thailand's reopening - targets were not met in Phuket and Samui

webfact

The focus is wrong.

The turists is generally well vaccinated and free of covid, they are not the problem.

The problem is the covid in Thailand and all the sick local people, an epedemi not under control.

Basicly sandbox is an good idea, but only if you are able to keep the local people in good health and free of covid.

And do not forget tourist want holidays with fun and freedom.

Edited by finnsk

7 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

People did not come here  and will not come here because the prospect looks joyless and lacking in the free for all fun that Thailand used to be known for. It's over for Thailand..

Agree ....for quite some time.

I have been posting few pics of things in Bangkok that I would perhaps take visiting friends to.

Obvious example is JayJay market on a Sunday. It's now a ghost town. 

One that makes me sad is Ratchada Night Train Market. Live just nearby. 

An institution in Bangkok with it's stalls, food, and bars with live music. See stock pic below pre covid. It has been closed and now bulldozed. 

Why even talk about tourism.

Screenshot_20210929-130120~2.jpg

Before it started it was already doomed to death. To many rules, restrictions, costs and no freedom for enjoying a holiday. Curfew , no alcohol with your meal and above all Thailand on the red list by many countries. But cared? It should be open and now complaining???

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

How do they not even get the basics of tourism, jeeez...

People don't book last minute and fly to thailand, most people plan their holiday way in advance and have already booked elsewhere, there is no pent up demand for people going to Thailand - they just go to places that are easier to enter and have already booked their stays there most likely.

The time to have a plan was last year not 1 month before high season. 

Actually, the reason I first went to Thailand in 2004 and subsequently 15 more times was because I could not plan my vacations in advance and going to Thailand did not require any advance booking, visas, etc.  I could just get on a plane and go.  As a contract engineer, often my gigs would end on no notice or short notice.  And I work all over the USA so often, I was in a state where I was not returning to so booking flights in advance were risky or impossbile at best.   Sometimes I would drive back to Florida, sometimes I was in California, so I would park my car someplace and fly out of LAX.  Sometimes I was in Seattle, etc.

3 minutes ago, gk10012001 said:

Actually, the reason I first went to Thailand in 2004 and subsequently 15 more times was because I could not plan my vacations in advance and going to Thailand did not require any advance booking, visas, etc.  I could just get on a plane and go.  As a contract engineer, often my gigs would end on no notice or short notice.  And I work all over the USA so often, I was in a state where I was not returning to so booking flights in advance were risky or impossbile at best.   Sometimes I would drive back to Florida, sometimes I was in California, so I would park my car someplace and fly out of LAX.  Sometimes I was in Seattle, etc.

You could have just gone to Canada.

• Haha 1