60m Doses of AstraZeneca Vaccine Ordered for Booster Shots

webfact

S__307814415-1.jpg

BANGKOK, Sept 29 (TNA) – The Public Health Ministry signed an agreement with AstraZeneca to acquire 60 million doses of the company’s COVID-19 vaccine next year to be administered as booster shots.

Deputy Prime Minister and Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul and Dr. Opas Karnkawinpong, director-general of the Department of Disease Control, attended a ceremony together with representatives of AstraZeneca (Thailand) for the signing of the contract to acquire the 60 million doses of the vaccine to be used as the third and booster shots for people next year.

Under the contract, the company must deliver 15 million doses in the first quarter of next year, 30 million doses in the second quarter and 15 million doses in the third quarter.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Full story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-791342

tnalogo.jpg

2 hours ago, starky said:

Booster shots? So is this to imply that there is some confidence that the whole population will be vaccinated sometime next year? Lol or do they mean booster shots for those poor people that had no choice but accept the sub par sinovac that was offered? Like my wife who understands that some vaccine is better than none so has taken a jab of sinovac whilst we still wait for the moderna we paid for 2 months ago to arrive.  

Those who had two shots of Sinovac will get the early boosters, those who had a mixture will be next in line, followed by those who had other vaccines.

Having just received my vaccination certificate(50 Baht) it firmly states it is for international travel. Unfortunately the UK does not recognise the AZ produced under licence as a reliable vaccine and will not accredit the dose for travel to the UK. The certificate has open pages for another 8 doses which means to me they expect many more boosters. Personally I will be insisting on a UK produced dose next time (even if I have to pay for it)

33 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

If they got the right vaccines at the beginning and also stopped people travelling during Songkran, they wouldn't be needing to do this.

Most countries will end up doing a booster shots...even the U.S. will start giving booster shots for people who got 2 jabs of Pfiser...a mRNA vacinne.  Expect approval for a booster shot for those who got Moderna jabs also...another mRNA vacinne.  Booster shots will be the fad for 2022.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I hope AstraZeneca reminded them that the administration of its shots are supposed to be with a full dose delivered into the muscle (Intramuscular) and not the 20% under the skin method (subdermal) now being used in Phuket for its booster shots.

Surely that would be breaking an agreement I don’t agree with under the skin method I will be getting my 2nd AZ shot tomorrow 1 October I count myself as very lucky when there are millions still waiting and it’s all down to living in a designated sandbox area 

• Like 1

The contracted acquisition costs Thailand about 18 billion baht. 

300 Bath per dose at least is significantly cheaper than the Chinese vaccines.
But I think they will continue to purchase plenty of the rather expensive but comparatively less effective Chinese stuff.

Now I am curious about the 30 million Pfizer vaccines that are supposed to be delivered in October. Corresponding typical photos of the contract conclusion, like now with this deal with AZ and/or appropriate announcements of Pfizer I miss or is there something slipped me?

The same with Moderna, I have no problem with the price, would also pay the 10K per dose for me and my wife and her mother but what to think of paying for a product all in advance without getting a halfway binding delivery date called.
Just ridiculous, I will probably get my booster outside Thailand ...

Edited by sathornlover

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

Read between the lines, many people have been vaccinated with the Chinese vaccine, they now need a proper vaccine which is being called a 'booster' - likely as a face saving measure.

So yeah, you're right - it's the fix for the crappy shots they gave out earlier in the year.

Oh yeah I can read between the lines alright. I can read so well that I can see a greedy developed first world hoarding all the vaccine and discussing "boosters" whilst most of the undeveloped nations have seen nothing and will remain fully unvaccinated far into the foreseeable future. Ahhh humans what a wonderful sympathetic sharing bunch we are.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, sathornlover said:

Corresponding typical photos of the contract conclusion, like now with this deal with AZ and/or appropriate announcements of Pfizer I miss or is there something slipped me?

20-July-2020 Contract with Pfizer (THL) signed for 20 mm doses, appended later for 10 mm more. 2 mm arrived yesterday.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/government-finally-inks-pfizer-deal-80758.php

The Moderna situation was/is a lot more complex, as a distributor is involved (Zuellig Therapeutics, a subsidiary of Zuellig Pharma), with some 5 mm doses ordered by the GPO already, and another 9 mm ordered for next year by Thai Red Cross Society and Chulabhorn Royal Academy. The landed cost per dose has been estimated at ~ 970 baht.

c1_2151939.jpg

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Pib said:

Most countries will end up doing a booster shots...even the U.S. will start giving booster shots for people who got 2 jabs of Pfiser...a mRNA vacinne.  Expect approval for a booster shot for those who got Moderna jabs also...another mRNA vacinne.  Booster shots will be the fad for 2022.  

The FDA recently as far as I remember, only approved Pfizer for the booster shots for those over 65 and those with immunocompromised immune systems as there wasn't sufficient enough data to warrant the booster shots for those under that age.

No doubt the same will apply to Moderna and Johnson & Johnson unless they have data that warrants it.

Israel in my opinion from what I have read and heard jumped the gun in giving out booster shots when there were breakthroughs as the antibodies waned, I would think that now looking back they can see that 6-8 months after the Pfizer vaccine has 42% efficacy and that should be enough for our own immune systems with the B and T cells to take over, however as mentioned above, the boosters should only really be for those over 65 or those with immunocompromised immune systems.

There are 3rd world countries out there who desperately require 1st dose vaccines, unfortunately what others are doing just shows exactly the inequalities that are out there in the world.

I have had 2 Pfizer jabs, have an underlying condition and paid for Moderna well before the USA provided us expats with Pfizer to which I am grateful, that said if and when Moderna arrives, I will see what the data is regarding booster shots, because I don't mind 12 monthly boosters like the influenza vaccine, but don't want to rush it and if it arrives under me being vaccinated for less than 6 months, I will donate it to one of the wife's family members who won't take the Chinese vaccines.

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

The question is "Next year? if we still have covid next year God save us.

Covid 19 will stay with us for the foreseeable future. We must be prepared to take boosters at least once a year, possibly every 6 months.

What worries me is the choice of vaccine, they should know that mRNA is the only way to go as it needs only 6 to 8 weeks to tweak it as new strains pop up. Vector and Deactivated vaccines need a lot more time to develop new versions. 

This is a war of movement.. 

But to come back to the OP's pic, the Farang looks obviously better, borderline superior. I can understand my wife now.

Edited by Boomer6969
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Boomer6969 said:

Covid 19 will stay with us for the foreseeable future. We must be prepared to take boosters at least once a year, possibly every 6 months.

What worries me is the choice of vaccine, they should know that mRNA is the only way to go as it needs only 6 to 8 weeks to tweak it as new strains pop up. Vector and Deactivated vaccines need a lot more time to develop new versions. 

This is a war of movement.. 

I hope not, There are so many tracking devices I can afford to have injected in me???? 

• Haha 1

Let try to get everyone in one room?  Is there a place or room big enough maybe outdoors as if they are having a protest?

There are so many predictions after predictions?  A few weeks ago it was AZ first shot then follow up by the Pfizer?

Then a few weeks ago students a specific age would get Pfizer shots 1st and 2nd, the next someone says it is Sino?

There are so many people saying things bragging is more like it as to how much vaccine is suppose to be coming in stockpiling now they are talking about booster kind of happy about that at least someone is thinking a head not like last time when the only solution was to lockdown, brag, and then forgot to prepare for the worse, obtain medical equipment and of course vaccine.

• Like 1

I hope its second generation.

I don't think the health ministry has the brains to figure that out.

Thats witnessed by the praise on Sinovac and its effectiveness on the original varient thats no longer here and replaced by the Delta variant.

2 hours ago, Millman said:

Having just received my vaccination certificate(50 Baht) it firmly states it is for international travel. Unfortunately the UK does not recognise the AZ produced under licence as a reliable vaccine and will not accredit the dose for travel to the UK. The certificate has open pages for another 8 doses which means to me they expect many more boosters. Personally I will be insisting on a UK produced dose next time (even if I have to pay for it)

Not sure what difference it makes for travel. Everyone from Thailand must do 10 days as its red list country, thats vaccine or not 10 days

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Those who had two shots of Sinovac will get the early boosters, those who had a mixture will be next in line, followed by those who had other vaccines.

Thai GF had two shots of Sinovac. Last one three months ago. Both times had a slight fever for a day.

Had a third "booster" shot of AZ on Tuesday morning. Completely wiped her out. went to bed with chills, fever and headache on Tuesday evening. In bed all day yesterday. Got up last night for food, but back on bed  with bad headache today.

Don't know if it's the booster effect, or if the AZ produces a stronger immune response, but far worse than in Sinovac reactions.

I had two AZ. First one slight fever and temperature and second one just a 15 minute hot flush.

1 hour ago, Boomer6969 said:

But to come back to the OP's pic, the Farang looks obviously better, borderline superior. I can understand my wife now.

Moving from Songkhla to Issan a few months ago was a bit complicated. We were visited on the second day by the doctor who is responsible for the district, he came with a nurse, both wearing the same smock as Anutin is wearing - a couple of months down the line, I find one of our friends in the next village is also the village "nurse" and she also has a white smock that she wears when she does her duty - for this, she is paid 1000B a month and hasn't a clue what she is doing, bit like Anutin really, I guess.

5 hours ago, ukrules said:

Read between the lines, many people have been vaccinated with the Chinese vaccine, they now need a proper vaccine which is being called a 'booster' - likely as a face saving measure.

So yeah, you're right - it's the fix for the crappy shots they gave out earlier in the year.

I bet this hurts as they think they were going to save money by developing their own Vaccine.

3 hours ago, sathornlover said:

300 Bath per dose at least is significantly cheaper than the Chinese vaccines.
But I think they will continue to purchase plenty of the rather expensive but comparatively less effective Chinese stuff.

Now I am curious about the 30 million Pfizer vaccines that are supposed to be delivered in October. Corresponding typical photos of the contract conclusion, like now with this deal with AZ and/or appropriate announcements of Pfizer I miss or is there something slipped me?

The same with Moderna, I have no problem with the price, would also pay the 10K per dose for me and my wife and her mother but what to think of paying for a product all in advance without getting a halfway binding delivery date called.
Just ridiculous, I will probably get my booster outside Thailand ...

"...I miss or is there something slipped me?"

Yes, you missed it. I saw them.

Edited by rbkk

7 hours ago, starky said:

Booster shots? So is this to imply that there is some confidence that the whole population will be vaccinated sometime next year? Lol or do they mean booster shots for those poor people that had no choice but accept the sub par sinovac that was offered? Like my wife who understands that some vaccine is better than none so has taken a jab of sinovac whilst we still wait for the moderna we paid for 2 months ago to arrive.  

Well Thailand is certainly doing a marvellous job. 16,000 deaths as opposed 1o 160,000 in the UK.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

i'm glad to see that thailand is loading up on vaccines and planning for booster shots, etc...  i saw a segment on CNBC business news last night and it sounds like a therapeutic/oral pill is not too far away.  so maybe the thought of endless booster shots will go away as these oral pills come into play. from the link:

Pfizer said in July if the PF-07321332 trial was successful, it would file for a potential emergency use authorization in the fourth quarter.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/pfizer-starts-dosing-patients-oral-covid-19-drug-trial-2021-09-01/

and some others are trying also:

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/covid-19-pill-developers-aim-top-merck-pfizer-efforts-2021-09-28/

maybe a pill will be available sometime next year.